Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves for when it's cold but not that cold

Poster: A snowHead
I'm happy with my cold weather gloves (Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski 3-finger) but I tend to over use them a bit when it's cold enough for proper gloves but not that cold. The outcome is that they get exposed to freeze/thaw conditions which is gather is bad for the leather.

I have a pile of padded gloves that work for the park in warm spring conditions but it's the middle ground I'm missing.

Any advice on gloves that will work down to -10 degrees C or so but will suit above zero temperatures better than the Hestra's please?

I'd be happy with resilient synthetic gloves and they don't have to be fancy

Thanks H
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Henwc, I think you're being too precious, or overthinking things or something. I use my Hestras for everything unless they'll be too warm. Last pair probably did easily >450 ski days ... which isn't too bad, in my experience.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it's warm I wear cycling gloves. Cheap ones from TKMaxx.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can prise yourself away from Hestra (most can't on this forum wink ). Look at Reusch, Level, Black Diamond, Dainese. TK Maxx have some ace bargains online early season, which will be in a week or so. Keep an eye on the site daily if you can be bothered? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mollerski, I've had Reusch and Level (a few pairs) - somewhat happier in Hestras (they last longer).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Mollerski, I've had Reusch and Level (a few pairs) - somewhat happier in Hestras (they last longer).

Yep, I've tried 'em all also. Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Henwc, also in a cycling orientation "Pearl Izumi AMFIB" really light but with wide heat range, primarily synthetic, soft comfortable and not too high price. Good for many activities other than this, good synthetic "leather" (polyester polyurethane) palm / grip that's comfortable and without the need for specific care coating etc.

One to take the cold out of a day's skiing but not get overheated from too much insulation "Rab Ridge" wool based with fleece lining and light leather palms.

Both really good, and very comfortable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Used these for a few trips now, above zero and down to -15 with no issues. I took my Hestras but never used them as the the FTP did everything I wanted. Treat them with their own leather cream and they hold up very well.

https://www.freethepowder.com/collections/gloves/products/bc-glove
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My current favourite gloves are Wedze's from Decathalon.
Very smart black leather ideal for those days when its not that cold.

I don't really rate Hestra gloves, I've got several pairs but there is nothing special about them except the price.

I've still nearly got a pair of bright yellow Hestra Philippe Ruoux 1993.
But they are a bit too worn out now for anything other than putting on the snow chains.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My hands run pretty warm so I tend to be a level or two of glove lower than most but I've fround these to be very good intermediate level glove...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/waterproof-mountaineering-gloves-sprint/_/R-p-302898?mc=8510372
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Personally I'll never understand the whole "What brand of glove" thing. Sure, brand X might be 10x better than any other at X, Y, and Z...but if my middle finger's pushing the tip but my index finger has an inch of space ahead of it they are "no good".

Which is a round about away of saying - just get out there and try on as many gloves as you can till you find some that fit your hands nicely, in this specific case lighter weight ones that 'fit but a little loose' so you have the option of wearing some inner gloves inside to streatch their temperature range.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@adithorp, @DrLawn, they sell some really useful "Belay" gloves made by Simond too. We use these for MTB as they are really light, thin and give excellent traction on bars / grips even under more extreme conditions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It depends what you like. Personally I use mitts, because they're fine at minus 38, and I can remove the liners and replace them with some thin cotton gloves when it's not so cold, and then not use the liners at all when I'm in a snowdome or when it's unseasonably warm. You gain warmth and also flexibility with an in-built layering system. I dislike the half-mitt things where you have a "lobster claw" or similar finger layout.

Hestra doesn't work for me at all, because of their bling and overall complexity. There are lots of other good brands - I've used Mountain Equipment, RAB, and Outdoor Research in the past and they've all been good.

Any leather bits need to be re-proofed every so often.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@phil_w, you board in an ambient -38? Chapeau!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@adithorp, are those waterproof in your experience? Reviews seem a bit mixed. Might work well for dog walking/hill walking in the UK.
ski holidays
Thanks all for the good advice,

Sounds like I shouldn't worry about my current gloves failing due to a bit of damp.

I'll keep an eye in Tkmaxx and also setup an eBay search for some of the other brands.

I might also try out the cut resistant gloves from my ski tech kit as a backup pair.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy