Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck or Mayrhofen in December?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi friends,

I am spending 5 days in Austria (Dec 19-24th) and I am having trouble deciding between staying in central Innsbruck or in Mayrhofen and I would really appreciate some input from the community!

Background: Intermediate skier (mostly in New Zealand), first time in the Alps, beginner/intermediate German fluency, travelling solo, relying on public transport, not bothered about apres-ski, not bothered about skiing every single day (if possible I'll pick the better weather days). Accommodation in Innsbruck will be a hostel, while in Mayrhofen it will be a guest-house (Gastehaus). Both locations appear to have glacier ski options which gives me some confidence around snow conditions. I fly in/out of Innsbruck so I'll get a little bit of time there regardless.

For me, the perks of Innsbruck are: More variety of resorts, more culture/history in town, possibly better social atmosphere in the hostel, presumably cheaper groceries/food/rentals, cheaper lift passes

For Mayrhofen: Bigger resort, lift is walking distance from accomm, slightly cheaper accomm

At this stage I'm leaning slightly towards Innsbruck but I would really appreciate any thoughts! Thanks so much in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My 2 pence: definitely Mayrhofen. It's a ski village connected (perfectly, meaning reliable and frequent train and buses) to other ski villages in Ziller valley and to Innsbruck (indirectly, through Jenbach. About an hour and a half away)
If you had a car then Innsbruck would make sense, allowing you to drive each morning to a different ski area.
You can always return from Mayrhofen to Innsbruck for a last glorious evening including Christmas markets
If possible, choose a place close to the old city in Innsbruck, it's a treat.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I assume the innsbruck glacier you are talking about is Stubai? That would be a good hour or so away from Innsbruck by public transport. Apart from a small ski area above innsbruck, any other skiing will involve a bus ride.
Mayhofren has much more skiing in it's resort + Tux isnt as far as Stubai is to Innsbruck. You also have the whole ziller valley accessible by rail that is part of ski pass.
St Anton and Kitzbuel are probably about the same transfer time as Mayhofren from Innsbruck if you wan some food for thought.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're staying in central Innsbruck, particularly somewhere near the Hauptbahnhof, getting to ski areas by bus is really no problem, and some of them are free. Stubai is over an hour (even in a car), but you also have Patscherkofel, Axamer Lizum, Kühtai, Glungezer, Bergeralm and Schlick 2000 much closer, and of course Nordkette directly accessible from the city centre. Plenty to do for 5 days, it depends what you are looking for. The opinions above about Mayrhofen are valid as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to be sure, to Europeans, Innsbruck is not really considered a ski-destination.
That’s not to say it might not suit you.
Both Mayrhofen and Innsbruck are very low. Snow in the valley is unlikely at that time.
It’s a quiet week. Although Innsbruck attracts tourists for its Christmas market. No idea how many.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say you've pretty much summed it up perfectly. I've stayed in both and solo I'd probably opt for Innsbruck in a hostel as well out of your choices.
Innsbruck is a cool city, nice atmosphere at night and more to see and do during the day if you aren't bothered about skiing first and last lifts. You'll spend a bit more time travelling to the skiing most likely. Nordkette is cool directly above the city but may be pretty limited that early on, last time I was there in Feb only the top section was open due to lack of snow.
Mayrhofen would be better if skiing or apres ski was your primary focus
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Langerzug wrote:
Just to be sure, to Europeans, Innsbruck is not really considered a ski-destination.
That’s not to say it might not suit you.
Both Mayrhofen and Innsbruck are very low. Snow in the valley is unlikely at that time.
It’s a quiet week. Although Innsbruck attracts tourists for its Christmas market. No idea how many.

Innsbruck is a city with lots of skiing in the vicinity.
Snow in the valley doesn't often stick around for more than a few days at a time, but it's as likely in mid December as any other time in winter.
Christmas markets are normally rammed, especially the city centre ones. They attract a lot of tourists.

@alasdair.graham is also right about Nordkette being limited at that time of year – the piste will open, might be too early for the park, almost certainly too early for the couloirs which need a lot of snow to cover the rocks. But the OP doesn't say what they are looking for ski-wise, so it might be fine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy