Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal Vs Snowspace Vs S-H

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
So I'm starting my usual hunt for an optimal ski resort which probably doesn't really exist for my group!

We are a group of 8 adults in their late 20's containing 5 people who might be described as improvers. All varying in confidence from somebody who managed to ski red with us on the final day last year to one who becomes quite anxious at anything beyond the shallowest of blue - in reality all possess similar skiing technique, it's all confidence. The rest of us are competent skiiers, with the weakest one in the competent trio being willing to dabble in easier black gradient pistes.

It's important that a good ski school is available as such, but it would also be important that there is a good lively piste side apres with cheesy Austria style enjoyment to be had. I'm personally not fussed about late night, but others like it. I really enjoyed cosy Austrian lunch last year, but it isn't essential compared with the other two provisions of cheesy apres and ski schools

Of course the skiing is of prime importance here. Our competent three really want good variety and plenty of km, but not at the expense of letting the improvers progress and develop their enjoyment of the sport.

We went to Saalbach last year and the improvers (then beginners) all really enjoyed the area, but have indicated they would like somewhere new. With this in mind, along with a reasonable budget I've come up with two areas:

The Zillertal based at Mayrhofen
Flachau within the Snowspace

How do these areas compare with Saalbach in terms of convenience (we have a militant bus hater for some reason) with the local areas and general variety of the skiing. We would be aiming for mid to late Jan so crowds are not especially a concern. I understand that Flachau and Zauchensee are now connected via lift making the 'local' area rather sizeable now.

I'm just having something of a struggle while digging around the forums here and on the wider internet. Perhaps I am missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should have probably mentioned the bus hater is OK to do a couple of day trips out etc, they just abhor having to bus to local lifts for some reason.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're staying in Mayrhofen, then you have the biggest individual ski area right there within the Zillertal. If your bus hater hates busses maybe that much they might hate trains less, which you can use to access some other resorts along the Zillertal.

The bonus with the Zillertal is you also have the skiing on the glacier up at Hintertux too (although you'll have to take a bus to get up there)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@itsLiamFleming, Mayrhofen might have the edge with apres, Flachau is likely to be more convenient from a skiing perspective. Ski schools are likely to be very similar.

There is a lot of skiing in the Zillertal but there are separate areas (most of which are a fair size on their own) and getting between them does require using some sort of transport (yes there is the train but the ski busses are generally easier and get to more places). Many of the areas (notably the main area at Mayrhofen) dont have valley runs (or at least they are ski routes / black runs in good conditions only, no issue for competent skiers but might be a bit too much for the more nervous) so there will be lifts up & down plus getting back to your accommodation (if lucky a walk though bus more likely).

Flachau is probably a bit closer in terms of layout to S-H. The skiing comes down to & the lifts go from the edge of the village, whether this will be walkable / skiable from your accommodation is clearly location dependent. There is a lift link between the top of Flachau & Kleinarl from where you can ski down to Flachauwinkl for the Zauchensee area (there is a very short shuttle bus under the Autobahn) however it is almost certainly quicker and easier to get there from Flachau with a direct ski bus.

Flachau is probably more similar to S-H simply because the mountains are similar (mid height Salzburgerland /west Tirol) the Zillertal is a bit higher even with a glacier area but not so linked up. Both are good choices but different to S-H. If I had to choose I would go with the Zillertal because there is a bit more challenging skiing but Flachau is good too (worth spending time at Zauchensee).

If these two places dont appeal then maybe look at Ischgl (no need for buses!) or Kitzbühel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@itsLiamFleming, I am going with a mixed group in late Jan next year (not needing ski school seems the only difference) and I have skied all three areas in recent years. Flachau was a fairly easy choice for me for the overall package.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@toyah807, that's good to know. Flachau was somewhere I had largely discounted until recently as I was concerned that the hill was rather too 'red' gradient for the less experienced.

@munich_irish, I think both Kitz and Ischgl would be firmly on the list if not for the fact they run rather pricey on the accomodation end of things. That said I've not necessarily unlocked the secrets of finding low-priced accomodation when compared to the likes of sunweb!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I like the Zillertal but chose to live in Flachau!

The challenge with Mayrhofen is that there's only one lift up from the Town to the main ski area and no way for low end skiers to ski back down, so you're in the Gondola to finish. Kaltenbach would be my area of choice for a group like yours, loads of good terrain for intermediates but a train ride from Mayrhofen. Forget going to Hintertux, not worth effort unless its late March. I'm not wholly convinced that the Apres is better unless you're 19 and pumped full of Hormones or Testosterone. Once you hit 25, it's probably not for you.

As @munich_irish, said, the need for buses in Flachau is largely dependent on where your lodgings are (Sunweb have a location about 150m from the Achter Jet). Anywhere near the Star Jet Lift or Achter Jet would negate the need for a bus ride, but the buses are every 15 mins at peak times and you're never on it for more than 10 mins. Lots of options for lockers at the lifts to leave kit. As for "rather too 'red'", There are plenty of Kms of Blue runs and the final descents (last 1/4 of the run) back into Flachau to Achter Jet or Space Jet are wide pistes with plenty of room to traverse. The big plus here is that the food options on the Mountain are excellent with almost limitless choice, the Apres at the Hoffstadl and Dampfkassel will be just about right and you don't have hoardes of Britsh Teenagers causing havoc. PM me if you have any specifics.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@itsLiamFleming, i have had the endless cost/ location/ distance/ transfer/ value (in my head)/ convenience for a group (eg SC vs HB) and availability debate over the last few weeks and finally got to a solution. I have also looked at sunweb, snowtrex, igluski, tourist info websites, direct contact, had help from Snowheads, in particular local to Ski Amade and added my own experience and thoughts on locations and the different ski areas before doing so. I came up with a solution (now booked) that I am more than happy to recommend to my friends. They are a mix: from 3 times per year over 20 years French Alps and many other places visitors to ageing (don't tell them I used that term) snowboarders and improving intermediates so let me know if you would like the name of the hotel I plumped for......or just check the Ski Amade thread! In fairness I would expect you to have a decent and enjoyable week whichever of those three you choose.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RedandWhiteFlachau, I hadn't considered the other resorts in the rest of a Zillertal as a base, I had assumed that they would be rather too quiet for my group?

Flachau is certainly seeming to look like a very appealing choice here, thank you everyone for your insights so far, it's quite hard to garner this kind of information elsewhere!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@itsLiamFleming, Ischgl would be ideal but I can see that cost would be an issue it is not the cheapest of spots to say the least, endless tacky apres if that is your thing plus the skiing is really good.

The first place I skied on snow was, what is now, Ski Amade - it was a long time ago with very different kit ( 195cm narrow skis!) but by the time of our second visit we were happily skiing down to Flachau without a second thought, we could hardly have been described as competent at that point. Conditions could get a bit difficult in the afternoons but that would have been true pretty much everywhere. I would have thought that Flachau would be as friendly as most places for your more timid friends, focusing on the "colour" of the piste is counterproductive the state of the snow and how many others are skiing around you are far more important factors in how difficult any particular run is.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i dont think that Mayrhofen is a better option for improvers as Flachau.
IF you dont want back to SH, the better Flachau instead of Mayrhofen.
From the whole Zillertal the best option for Improvers are the Zillertal Arena + Kaltenbach.
Not Mayrhofen
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, I'm certainly hoping another week of skiing and some more time with the instructor will help the timid skiers begin to appreciate the "conditions, not colour" approach to piste skiing!

I think the trouble with Ischgl lies mostly in the group desire for a spacious accomodation without "living room sleeping". I can find that stuff in our price range in Mathon, but it wouldn't exactly appear to be convenient to get the most out of Ischgl?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
itsLiamFleming wrote:
@munich_irish, I'm certainly hoping another week of skiing and some more time with the instructor will help the timid skiers begin to appreciate the "conditions, not colour" approach to piste skiing!?

If you fix your dates early enough and do choose Flachau, you can always book me as your instructor! Very Happy I only do Private Lessons for my ski school and a couple of morning sessions would probably suffice. I'll even drop them off at your chosen lunch stop!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've a soft spot for Mayrhofen having learned to ski there in the early 90's and have returned a couple of times since. There are two main drawbacks to the area, no valley return piste from the Penken and the shortness of the runs on the Penken. I much prefer the skiing in the Zillertal Arena.

If SH is ruled out then Snowspace Salzburg would be my choice keeping in mind Wagrain may be another option. I can't comment on Wagrain Apres ski as I have stayed mid mountain on my trips there and other than a couple in the Franzl Alm its been hotel based.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@3offthetee, Wagrain is the quieter village when it comes to Apres Ski. The exception being the Kuhstal at the bottom of the Flying Mozart link, which is having an extension built at the moment. But like a lot of Austrian Apres, it is done at the end of the ski day and then back to your digs for an early night. Rinse and Repeat.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy