Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long are UK Passport Renewals Taking?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone had their passport renewed recently?

The Passport Office say to allow 10 weeks; but some folks are saying online they are getting their new passport in 2 weeks or say.

Would be fab to hear of folks experiences. Thanks! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I renewed my son’s at the end of August when we returned from France and it took about 3.5 weeks.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Daughter's done online on 18 Sept, came back this week. Canadian one which we had to send in as well returned a couple of days later.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Online renewal, had new passport in 16 days. Old one returned day before that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wife's was a week back in August.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Submitted 12 Sep online, posted expiring one to them, guaranteed by 1pm next day that night (due to evening time sending it this meant they didnt receive until 14th). We got new one 28th Sep.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is all very helpful, thank you. Saves me having to fork-out on an expedited application.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I need to check ours tomorrow, as I know they both need renewing in 2023. I just need to make sure it is valid for travel for all of our ski trips.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hells Bells, yes annoyingly you also need 3 months clear after date of return. Our next trip completes before hubbies expires, but only had a few weeks after. So how they can claim they are 10yr passports would be classed a mis-selling if it were anything else!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife renewed hear earlier this year. Took something like three months overall, and she needed to travel in that period so had to get a temporary one, at an additional cost of 150 dollarpoundfrabcs
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is this site https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/#times and I'm hoping it's a reasonable reflection of times as I've just put mine in the post.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
motyl wrote:
There is this site https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/#times and I'm hoping it's a reasonable reflection of times as I've just put mine in the post.

WOW. That is super-useful. Thanks. Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Applied online on a Saturday in late July. Posted the old one first class registered on the Monday, received new one on the Friday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Daughter did hers on 23 September, arrived back last Wednesday (12/11), so 2 1/2 weeks.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 19-12-22 11:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Renewed online last Friday evening, having got digital photo from a booth in the morning. Posted old passport Saturday afternoon, first class. New passport received this morning! So less than a week - very impressed!
latest report
Just a word of warning -- The PCS Union have voted for strike action, which will affect the Passport Office (as well as other Government organisations....)
latest report
motyl wrote:

This is ace, thanks.
I've always dreaded applying for passport renewals using the old manual forms but the new online process is very sleek and user-friendly.
I suspect waiting times now will be much less than at the height of summer - I'm hoping so anyway as we have 4 trips booked between January and March and only sent our 15Y old's application last week.
snow report
@franga, I managed to send my old passport in just before all the postal strikes began. The new one was delivered by courier a fortnight later but I had to wait another week for Royal Mail to return my old one. Possibly the passport office doesn’t prioritise those.
ski holidays
Two weeks Very good updates on progress by text.
snow conditions
@Gufo, good to know. I can't make up my mind if we should apply now or wait until after our January trip. We will need to renew before our March one as issue date was 23rd Feb 2013 and expiry is 22nd June.
snow report
I had the same dilemma with issue date May and expiry October. Two trips booked end of Jan and end of Feb. Decided too risky after first trip to arrange new passport. Cut my losses and glad new one is here.
snow report
Sent off for an adult renewal online on the 18th October, got mine back beginning of this week.
snow conditions
I heard from my friend that it's easy now. Online you need a photo, a credit card. Fill out the form, scan the photo, put your old passport in an envelope and send it to HMPO in the UK. Little Angel
ski holidays
Timothy Love wrote:
I heard from my friend that it's easy now. Online you need a photo, a credit card. Fill out the form, scan the photo, put your old passport in an envelope and send it to HMPO in the UK. Little Angel

Did exactly this with a recent UK passport renewal from Austria. From the time I clicked Submit online, it was 29 calendar days until my new passport arrived. It also took me four days (including a weekend) to post my old one, so if I had of been better organised maybe quicker. New one arrived 2 weeks ago, so this is recent news.
ski holidays
Poogle wrote:
Anyone had their passport renewed recently?

The Passport Office say to allow 10 weeks; but some folks are saying online they are getting their new passport in 2 weeks or say.

Would be fab to hear of folks experiences. Thanks! snowHead

just done my daughters - took 8 days from start to finish
ski holidays
Another one in the 'renewed online, returned a week later camp' here. The only issue you might have is if you look significantly different to your old photo in which case you'll need a 'professional' to verify you
latest report
Timothy Love wrote:

You don’t need a photo. A selfie is fine if you do it online. Mine took about 10 days from start to finish.
snow report
Mine and MRSMM29 both back in less than 2 weeks, hardest bit was trying to get a photo uploaded on their website, took about 20 goes each. Only downside is they are now blue UK not burgundy EU. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And still no reference to HIS majesty’s gov Sad

Mine took 1week for an adult renewal using a photo-booth reference number for the picture.
ski holidays
@jamescollings, Interesting that for you and I it's one week - and we both used a photo booth with the reference number.
snow report
Child renewal - completed application online on Monday 14 November (photo at home). Put old passport in 2nd class post to return.

New passport arriving today. 10 day turnaround (8 business days). Nothing expedited (could have used 1st class post to return passport I guess).
ski holidays
Applied online and sent our old passports back towards the end of November, signed for 1st Class . Royal Mail took 10 days to deliver and it was signed for on 5th December. I've finally had 'we've received your old passport' emails, although I have to submit a new photo (both came up good on the form). Hubby's is being processed and printed. So, hopefully I can sort tonight (selfies are terrible).
ski holidays
Had to renew both of the teens this year. One was done around May as we had a summer US trip, and the other about 3 weeks ago. Both back within 2 weeks max. Very efficient.
ski holidays
36 hours if you pay double the fee and can go to London to pick it up.
snow report
@Bod, I always do. But its been same day by appointment
snow conditions
I had my 21 year old daughters within 10 days. Gutted I paid the £100 extra for other half’s urgent appointment.
latest report
Doesn’t the answer sometimes depend on which office you are posting to? Maybe not now, the above answers look great, but a couple of years ago we were posting to N Ireland (because from abroad) and they had a very fast turnaround when GB offices were reporting awful delays.
snow report
Sorted my photos last night, and email almost immediately to say it was being processed and sent for printing. Email for J's to say it has been printed and will be transferred to a courier in the next few days. I guess a month from applying to receiving then unless something goes tits up in the meantime.
snow report
Mate did his a couple of weeks back. Assume it was posted to the normal UK address. Sent and back in 10 days on a normal service.
ski holidays
And a TNT email advising of delivery received this morning for hubby's, and delivered by lunchtime. So post box to commencing the processing took far longer than issuing the passport. Hopefully mine will be on its way soon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy