Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendations for NYE 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It’s quite a way off but me and some friends (approx 6-8 people) are planning a trip for the next new year - a few are teachers and it seems to work out for the term dates this time around which is a nice change. As yet we’re not quite sure where to go.

A couple of factors:

- We’re all in the UK so looking at resorts in the alps for ease of travel - some prefer to drive and others fly.

- The group will have a fairly mixed ability from absolute beginners up to “that reminds me of one time heli-skiing in Canada…” types.

- We’re all in our late 20s/ early 30s so some decent après would be appreciated but none of us are massive party animals to be honest and we’re generally more in the school of a few drinks at a bar rather than sweaty night clubs until 4am.

- We’re also all at various stages of our careers so wouldn’t be looking for something uber expensive if we can help it. With that in mind we’d probably be looking at a self-catered apartment.

- At that stage of the season I imagine high altitude resorts would probably be best for snow surety - especially if there is a repeat of this year’s conditions. This is probably the absolute priority when it comes to picking a resort.

I appreciate that, especially at more budget friendly places, we’ll have to compromise on some things but that seems to be the shopping list in an ideal world.

I’ve been toying with Alpe d’Huez as a possibility based on the above but I’ve never been so wouldn’t like to say if it would be a perfect fit. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having recently returned from the PdS over Christmas, if I was to go away at that time of year again I'd either leave it to really late to book to follow the snow or as you say, book early somewhere high.

That being said, pistes over 1600m had snow even in the most rain battered resorts.

With a group as large as yours, then booking early to secure your accommodation especially considering that time of year is the route to go down.

For a short transfer from Geneva or drive from Calais, then Avoriaz would be a potential option. Ski in/out, decent bars and if the snow is good...then a vast area to explore for the more confident. Good beginners areas for learners.

ADH could be a good option. Snow sure, plenty of ski in/out or short walks to pistes or lifts. Various options for travel (Grenoble 1hr 30, Lyon 2hrs, Geneva 3hrs,Turin 3hrs 30, Calais 9-10 hours). Again, plenty of various terrain for different abilities and a great beginners area.

Val Thorens, Tignes would also do the job. They are often considered the best early season bets and would tick a lot of your boxes. But can be bleak in whiteouts where as ADH has some lower down stuff and Avoriaz/PdS has some tree skiing.

Montgenevre could be an option. Reasonably snow sure for that time of year. Great beginner pistes and a wider area to explore in the Via Lattea including crossing into Italy. Turin airport is 90 mins away but is a longer drive from Calais. Better value for money than other "big French" resorts above.

If you want to explore other countries then I'd rule out most of Switzerland due to everything costing more.

Cervinia isn't too horrendous drive from Calais or Turin/Geneva for flyers. Reasonably snow sure and Italy is cheaper for food/drink. Decent ski area with links over to Zermatt. Decent selection of bars etc.
Obergurgl is pretty much a safe early season bet. Ski in/out and it's Austria...so the apres is just better. However may struggle to get an apartment there as it's a lot of hotels. And also, can be bleak in bad weather, but if the sun is out....then its great. Easy flights into Innsbruck and 90 mins transfer but a fair bit further for any drivers from Calais.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Fridge03 thanks very much for that. I hadn’t considered Cervinia or Obergurgl to be honest. I’ve never skied in Italy or Austria and am very keen to try! Looking at the piste map for Cervinia there seems to be maybe a bit too much red and not very much blue possibly for the beginners but perhaps they grade the slopes differently than in the French resorts?

In terms of ADH, any dos and don’ts from your experience? I see there are a couple of villages there to chose from.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are catering for yourselves the cost differences between the countries are not so marked. And with a well organised group and a bit of advanced planning you can eat and drink very well, and sociably, at a similar cost to staying at home. If you want to rent a nice apartment you will get infinitely more choice by putting together a holiday for yourselves, rather than through a tour operator. Lift passes are a big chunk of money wherever you go. New Year is probably the most expensive week of the year, and with no guarantees of half-reasonable weather. Teachers are limited, obviously, but if it was my choice, I'd prefer Easter. Or half term but go to Italy or Austria, not France.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy