Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance when doing Fleche/Chamois

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Calling on your collective wisdom again!

My son and husband are keen to do the Fleche and Chamois this year when on holiday, but having spoken to BMC they say this would not be covered under our wintersports insurance as it's competitive/a competition.

Do you have any recommendations of who to use instead? We've looked at a couple of places (e.g. Adventures) but it's over £3k for annual cover, and £1k for a 2 week single trip (we do 3-4 weeks a year - which seems excessive for what we'd be using it for.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What do you want to insure for?

Take a carte neige for the day you do the fleche if you are worried.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about getting Carré Neige with your ski passes?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both!

We were wondering about carte neige as thought it would cover treatment, repatriation etc in case of injury - but weren't sure if other aspects of the bmc cover would end up being invalidated due to being doubly insured (even though we'd effectively be using carte neige for the accident side, and bmc for the holiday side). We have BMC insurance anyway as use it for climbing.

I suspect we're fussing about nothing and should just do carte/carre neige!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hoppity, Snowcard/Activcard used to have a category that included competition, I've not checked for a few years tho. Post-COVID a lot of things have changed.

My travel policy allows Fleche & Chamois as they are amateur races organised by the ski school, otherwise the end-of-week ski school races (which in our resort _are_ the Fleche and the Chamois for the competition class) would leave many people uninsured.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks snowdave. Totally agree that not allowing end-of-week ski school races would be an issue, and snowcard now have removed competition proper but do say the following:

"SKI RACING - Snowcard are not currently insuring ski racing or competition training. This does not affect end of week ski school races forming part of a normal package winter sports holiday with ski lessons."

I think we'll give Carre Neige a go but will also look around as the midweek Fleche/Chamois that they were hoping to do really aren't different from the "end of ski school" Fleche in terms of risk/set up, it's just more holidaymakers and locals can sign up than those "graduating" from ski school. I guess insurers have to draw a line somewhere though. We could as a back up sign my son up to competition class, but at the moment he'd rather have a couple of private lessons and then ski with us.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hoppity, I did check the conditions for Carré Neige, they state that competitions that do not require a licence to enter are covered, this would include the Fleche and Chamois even if they were not doing lessons. This makes sense for France as their competition licence includes race insurance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I will chose Carré Neige without thinking at something else. Flèche and Chamois are competitions and they are never part of end of week training.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @rjs and @thierryd. Carré Neige it is!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hoppity wrote:
Thanks @rjs and @thierryd. Carré Neige it is!

No problems.... My daughter is going for a competition camp again this year so I've been through this question last year
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thierryd, That's not my experience. They are part of the normal competition class in Argentiere, Chamonix, Les Houches, Les Menuires as a minimum (i.e. I have direct personal experience of all the above, my kids have been doing them for 9 years now). They are available as an option within private lessons in all of these as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowdave wrote:
@thierryd, That's not my experience. They are part of the normal competition class in Argentiere, Chamonix, Les Houches, Les Menuires as a minimum (i.e. I have direct personal experience of all the above, my kids have been doing them for 9 years now). They are available as an option within private lessons in all of these as well.

My experience is: try not to act as an underwritter when you are doing another job..... In other word, when a policy is excluding Competition, find another policy to cover it. We are not talking about car damage policy, we are talking about health of people we love......
And by the way, Fleche and Chamois are real competition. You need to apply to race them. Competition Classes are making the enrolment for you, to help you and secure you a place in the race.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowdave wrote:
@thierryd, That's not my experience. They are part of the normal competition class in Argentiere, Chamonix, Les Houches, Les Menuires as a minimum

round our way a lot of the ESF kids will do them during their week's ski school even if they are not doing competition level classes. They are seen as a bit of fun.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought EHIC for health treatment was still available and as other have mentioned Carré Neige will get you off the hill and repatriate you if neccessary.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy