Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff in early April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice on a week's skiing over in Banff in early April. Short version is that Mrs Slow007 & I have never skied outside of Europe and have long fancied a trip to North America. We did try for a trip to Whistler but that fell victim to covid lockdowns. I've possibly been a bit hasty as I saw what I considered to be a bargain offered by Crystal. I've booked us a week in the Mount Royal Hotel for w/c 10th April 2024.

My quick desktop research (including this forum's extremely useful resort reviews) leads me to think Banff is a great town to stay in and whilst the journey to the three ski areas is a bit of a bind it is worth it. However I've now started to read some articles on the El Nino impact of weather for 2024, that seems (I say seems to say as it isn't that clear) to say that the snow could be very poor - has anyone else seen this? I'd thought that Banff was a reasonably safe bet for snow in early April but maybe I was wrong (Accept that conditions will be changeable etc.)?

Many thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@slow007, Banff is a great town to stay in. Good restaurants, bars and a lovely vibe. I haven't stayed in the Royal, but it's right in the thick of town and IIRC has (had?) good ribs in the restaurant downstairs. Also there's plenty for the non skier to do excursions etc.

The skiing is good, the areas are fun - although I found Norquay a bit samey, probably worth only a day out of the trip just to tick the boxes. The bus ride didn't bother me at all. Plonk yourself down next to a random local/stranger and chat.

WRT El Nino, it does have a negative effect on Canada, but it's not usually catastrophic. The last time I went to Canada was an El Nino year, two resorts - first week Revelstoke and then Banff. We flew into Kelowna and were greeted by 'the locals' loading up to fly to Calgary heading on to Banff, "the snow is much better there" they said. It was. I think Banff is sufficiently inland that it's cold enough to not be affected as much. If I had to pick a resort to head to given the circumstances, you've made a good choice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rogg, That's great, thanks for the comments
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never been able to fathom the "el ninja" [sic] stuff, it seems to make bog all difference. I think internet talk about that is no better than "the Farmers' Almanac" or Nostradamus. If I had to book a BC/Ab resort ahead for April I'd be looking towards Banff because it mostly works well late season. To me, that's a good choice, if you have to make a choice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't worry about the snow in April, even with an El Nino year. I was still getting snow alert emails for Sunshine Village and Lake Louise in May! I agree with Norquay being a bit of a box-ticking exercise. It's ok for your first day to get your ski legs in, and to take a good pic of Banff town from the top of the mountain, but really just stick to Sunshine and Lake Louise.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Make sure to take a good look in to all lift pass options and do your maths. Just buying the Ski Big 3 pass will almost certainly not be the cheapest option.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@swskier, thanks, a good point made, there seems to be a few pass options to consider
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
7 days is quite short for a Canada trip. Expext to be jet-lagged for the first three days or so.
Norquay is quite steep. Its a good place to go if there’s a big dump whilst you are there. Every one else heads to Sunshine or Lake Louise and the roads can be chaos.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kditrj2d, it depends, I've done plenty of West Coast 7 days trips... jet lag means falling asleep in your dinner but up for first lift.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^+1
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think we can live with that Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sunshine and Lake Louise are higher than the Okanagan hills. It’ll be fine.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whistler for 2 weeks is better.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's been a few years since I visited Whistler but I know other people who've been more recently and all I hear are complaints about lines and just a general "busyness" and with reference to the OP early April is getting late for more coastal resorts.

At the OP - you'll be fine in early April at Sunshine / Lake Louise in terms of snow coverage.

This plot is for Snow Water Equivalent which is tricky to convert to snow depth but what it does show you is peak depth is generally at the time you're visiting.

https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/snowplot.cgi?SUNQ1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sweaman22, Thanks for that
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy