Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Narrowest piste ski for shifts

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I have some Salomon shifts that I want to quiver killer onto a few pairs of skis. I’ve fitted them to my Salomon QST 92, and am looking for a pure piste orientated ski that comes as a flat ski (without race plate) that I can mount them to. Ideal would be something around 175 cm long with 15 m turn radius. The brake is 90 mm, which I think is the most narrow version. I know it will stick out a bit on narrow skis. Any suggestions for a piste ski to mount them on? Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure why you wouldn’t just get some with alpine bindings? If it’s a travel/ski bag thing get bindings on a track then you can slide them off for travel and pack separately. Shifts on narrow piste skis are going to boot out as soon as you get any sort of angulation aren’t they?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Thick As, also weight if I want to take two or three pairs, plus other stuff in the ski bag. I haven’t measured vs my piste skis with a race place, but the shift sits pretty high. I read somewhere that Jon (piste office) had mounted some shifts on some sub 80 mm skis, but no idea about where they ‘booted out’
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sub 80mm waist but how about a 13M radius and 87 waist - Black Crows Mirus Cor in 173 or 178; on my current list of additional skis I don't need (but absolutely desire) list!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blizzard Brahma 82?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BC Mirus Cor is a blast of a ski. Such fun! They have the turn radius of a SL ski, unlike true SL’s are not punishing if you’re not on the top of your game, and do have a bit of versatility for some side-piste action when there’s easy pow waiting there. They’ve now my go-to skis on my puny local hills that are all in sub 900 ft of drop category.

Not sure I’d like to ski them day in day out on the Alps (or Dolomites). Doing >10km of vert a day on those turny skis might really get weary. But of course if you’re driving or can keep 2 pairs under the weight limit they’d make a great 1-2 punch with something a bit more muted, stable and less turny to alter with each other day. QST’s could be just it.

I’m 5’10” and have the Mirus in 178 cm. Could do well with 172 as well but I’m happy with 178’s.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ravensburger, They do recommend a 'shorter' length - is this due to the lack of camber / smaller rocker or to reinforce the radius (which seems to be consistent irrespective of length)? Currently on Kore 87s as daily drivers but do like the smell of the Cors as am a short turn fanboy. Last time on decent SL skis they were heavy and a little hardcore out of the turn (tiring)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Belch, I honestly don't know. Yes, they do not have a strong camber nor long rockers so the skis are quite flat, which could mean that they ski long/true to size. However as they are not especially stiff, a longer size here - which usually also translates to stiffer skis - doesn't mean that longer skis would require too much force to bend and drive. So I guess the recommendation to opt for the shorter size could have something to do with maximizing the playful character of the ski even though the radius remains unchanged - skiing switch, hitting bumps, playing around the park... all easier with a bit shorter ski. If you're just bombing down the piste or hitting side-piste and want that added stability or flotation of a longer ski I feel that you can go for about the same size you're normally used to. So for me that'd be my own length (178) or next size down.

For reference, my small quiver consists of:

Völkl Racetiger SCR in 163 cm (a cheater SL ski)
K2 Disruption 78 Ti in 172 cm (stiff carver for when the pistes are hard, icy corduroy or to drive through slush - so perfect for spring conditions. But one needs to do about 40 mph before these come to life)
Black Crows Mirus Cor in 178 cm, (playful allrounder)
Head Kore 93 in 177 cm (a bit more longer-radius allrounder, also for softer new snow, not as speed-hungry as the K2's)

Edit: sorry for the thread drift, let's by all means get back to Shifts Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ravensburger, Other than the K2 your lengths are the same as mine - interesting you've got the Kore in 93; the Volkl is also a ski I've demoed/rented and liked - does the Mirus Cor do everything the Volkl does and more though?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Belch wrote:
@Ravensburger the Volkl is also a ski I've demoed/rented and liked - does the Mirus Cor do everything the Volkl does and more though?

In short - yes! After getting the Mirus as an early Christmas gift for myself a month ago I haven’t taken the Völkls out a single time, nor do I foresee doing that in the future: the Mirus are as or even more snappy in short turns, better in carving longer turns when riding easy and letting go so that you ride progressively longer arches than stated as a turn radius, and they handle speed better, although they do have a limit there. Haven’t been on real hardpack/ice yet though so don’t know about that - the Völkls might have an edge there even though they’re not particularly strong there either.

Might just as well sell the Völkls and buy real non-FIS SL’s like Stöckli Lasers or Rossignol Heros later on should I fancy that for a change.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ravensburger, Full on Hero SLs are hardcore - had a go and they're way too much for me. Thanks for the advice - serious food for thought - did you get the Mirus for a good price?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Belch, Yeah that’d be to have something to really differentiate, spread the selection, add a different ski to what I have and maybe even to learn something new skiing those as well. We’ll see, not this season though (wife’s already complaining about the number of skis)

They were about 700 € plus bindings, ca. 100 € for Tyrolia Attacks I grew to like on the Kores. That was about 10 % off the skis and 40 % off bindings at my LSS. Thought I’d keep with the frisky theme when choosing the colour for the bindings…

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ravensburger wrote:
Belch wrote:
@Ravensburger the Volkl is also a ski I've demoed/rented and liked - does the Mirus Cor do everything the Volkl does and more though?

In short - yes! After getting the Mirus as an early Christmas gift for myself a month ago I haven’t taken the Völkls out a single time, nor do I foresee doing that in the future: the Mirus are as or even more snappy in short turns, better in carving longer turns when riding easy and letting go so that you ride progressively longer arches than stated as a turn radius, and they handle speed better, although they do have a limit there. Haven’t been on real hardpack/ice yet though so don’t know about that - the Völkls might have an edge there even though they’re not particularly strong there either.

Interesting... I have been eyeing the Mirus for a while now. I've been wondering if they would be a good partner ski for my Camox. I'm after something that's fun and won't throw you on the floor if you ski it slow/lazily, but can still hold up to being driven hard if the moment presents itself. The Camox just love to charge and that doesn't suit skiing with the OH... Would be interested to hear about their icy/firm performance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Thomasski, @Ravensburger, @Belch, I was dubious about the Mirus Cors but I’ve been using a friend’s pair on and off for the last couple of months and every day out on them has been so engaging - they’re massive fun. The swallow-tail is pure Black Crows marketing and the only complaint I have about them is the rooster tail they kick up behind in softer snow. Had the opportunity to ski some polished hardpack in the afternoons and they’re super-grippy with lovely tight turns. They don’t feel soft but at high speeds, I’m not convinced they’re stiff enough so I’m just skiing with an attacking rhythm which is another source of huge fun in itself. Fun fun ski.
Apologies for the thread drift but this is too fun a ski not to mention.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Grinning, Exactly what I wanted to hear . . they sound perfect for my type of slithering . . .also exactly what I didn't want to hear as I may have to get my wallet out! Maybe I'll wait till end of season / a price drop . . .in terms of the OP they would certainly work with quiver killers (width wise) and assuming they might also meet his brief?
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, mine fit fine on a 76mm wide piste ski, the Volkl Speedwall L, which isn't current but was/is a great ski, so assume they have something similar? Given you already have a 92mm wide ski, I'd be looking at something <80mm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy