Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling with les enfant

Poster: A snowHead
Right folks, at this blazing time of year I am starting to think about next season!

This year will be slightly different as we will have a brand new six month old in tow (don't worry, I'm not expect ESF to take them!) What I was wondering was if anyone has any experience with transfers from either Geneva or Lyon with a tiny person?

We are considering just hiring a car for simplicity but if anyone has had a good experience with someone, please let us know.

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@irishz, we went to Alpe d'Huez with our daughter when she was a year old, so slightly older, but it was pretty straightforward. Standard transfer bus, she just sat on our laps.

Threw up everywhere on the return journey and we ended up in A&E near Gatwick but that's unconnected Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@irishz, if renting a car take your own child car seat. You can hire them from the rental car co.s but if they can't guarantee to have them and/or run out even if you do book you will be stuffed at the airport! I've seen it happen at Heathrow to a family.

Maybe the same with the transfer cos? No idea as not used one with a child.

Better safe than sorry and child car seats are usually free to take in the plane hold.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Carted my eldest around with transfer companies from 7weeks old. Skiidy Gonzales in Morzine had all the right baby seats available so it saved having to bring them to the airport. Always
Correctly fitted too
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Generally:
1. Car hire companies will have them...but charge you as much to hire one for a week as it costs to buy one!
2. Certainly on Geneva->PdS transfers all the companies I've used have always had plenty of them and enough vans coming and going that they can grab one from another van if they need 2 in one van, etc.
3. Check but a lot of airlines will let you check in a child seat for free, and if you've driven to the airport you'll have it with you so...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At that age, I think it would be best to bring your own car seat. I presume you'll be bringing the buggy (wheels and car seat as opposed to full pram) with you for the airport etc. Not sure of how it currently works but I think we used to bring the buggy to the gate and the airline would take it off us at that point and then it would reappear when we got off the plane. Then you use that car seat for the transfer. It's also handy to have the buggy for the airport at either end as it saves carrying a baby around.
I wouldn't rely on a transfer company to have the correct car seat. We've had experiences where they didn't have enough seats / didn't have the right seats / the driver wasn't able to install them so we had to do it ourselves etc. This despite us emailing in advance to make sure they were fully aware of the kids ages. Thankfully, nothing we couldn't work around but not ideal either. We didn't ski with a 6 month old so I imaging you'll want to be 100% sure of what car seat they'll be in.
If you hire a car, the car seats are crazy expensive as someone has already pointed out. So all in all best to have your own.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
adriangrogan wrote:
I presume you'll be bringing the buggy (wheels and car seat as opposed to full pram) with you for the airport etc. Not sure of how it currently works but I think we used to bring the buggy to the gate and the airline would take it off us at that point and then it would reappear when we got off the plane.

Yes, you can. Though if there's 2 of you and you're not sure if they will come out on the baggage carousel or the oversized one please try splitting up and one of you waiting at each... Yes, my friends ARE that stupid Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was (but not done it for a while) if the buggy was of the small umbrella type, you could use it to the airbridge gate then the airline cabin staff take it off you, but then reproduce it at the aircraft door when you disembark, so handy in big terminals.

If your buggy is a range rover sized monstrousity then you check it in with your luggage at oversized and it comes off at baggage reclaim (with maybe all its wheels).

The former is good as you can use it in the terminal which can be vast, but the latter is better to take if you like to load up stuff later as if you are going on an expedition to the Amazon when out and about, but you cant take in past the baggage check in the terminal and may easily get damaged in transit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If your buggy is a range rover sized monstrousity then you check it in with your luggage at oversized and it comes off at baggage reclaim (with maybe all its wheels).
I flew into Gatwick at the end of the day yesterday and there was a big stash of those things sitting round outside the "come here to sort out baggage problems" area. They looked like great dead things, with their babies long gone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We had a buggy you could take as handluggage just for travelling, Mountain Buggy Nano - it was bloody great. But at 6m a baby carrier still does the job.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always used a baby carrier with a little one - leaves both hands free - but would be scared to use one on icy pavements. Many resorts rent out buggies of various kinds, including bigger ones where baby can be wrapped up warm out of the wind whilst asleep. The little sledgy ones are fun, but 6 months probably too young for them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it just me, or are others surprised to see the widespread use of "bring" rather than "take" in this thread?

The only previous time I've come across it was from an Irish girl I worked with - and for whom the word "take" didn't exist.

Are posters on here Irish or are they bringing the P155? Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, Seems to have been used only in two posts, and in a context that's just about within the normal English usage model, in both cases assuming that the speaker is located at the destination, not the starting point. So it's a movement toward the speaker, whereas the Irish usage you allude to uses 'bring' even when it's clearly a movement away, which in British use would always be 'take'.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have been taking our child skiing since he was 7 months old. We have tried a few different things, first time we took our car seat with us (EasyJet let you take two free items for a baby, ie a car seat and a pram), I put it in a massive cardboard box, which I then flatpacked to put in the transfer bus when we took the seat out. On return journey we did the opposite and assembled the box at the airport and put the seat in it (take duct tape!). After that year we then used the seats the transfer company provided as we didn't have a suitable seat to take. I recommend speaking with each company, some were more clueless than others. If you are going to Les Gets/Morzine I highly recommend AlpNav, I chose them as they were able to supply a rear facing seat for my child after he had outgrown a baby carrier and it was fitted correctly, unlike the previous company we used who just passed us a seat and stood there as he had no idea how to fit it.

In resort we hired a snow buggy (so on runners rather than wheels), you could also hire various styles of pram and pushchair. My experience is these are fine but dirty, we took our own liner/cosy toes to put inside.

We started driving down when he hit 4 years thus eliminating all further car seat and transfer conundrums!

He started skiing at 2, so you don't have long to wait.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@irishz Is the train an option? Or train+taxi? I don't think you mentioned a specific destination.
snow conditions
@LaForet, I think the inlaws are keen on Les Arcs this year. We hit Avoriaz last year but it seemed to disagree with MIL...

Thank you for all the thoughts and input thus far! The obvious answer was to hire a car but this is looking to cost a fair few quid! Hence the exploring other options.
snow conditions
It's a 6 month baby on a shortish journey. Chill.
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, I'm not worried about the trip itself, just the mechanics of making it happen. e.g. Do the transfers offer car seats, or do we bring our own etc.
ski holidays
@irishz, we took the 6 month old in one of those leight weight, carry, travel seat thingies, useful for sitting the brat into feed and other stuff.

Threw the baby at the Mark Warner nannies at 09.00.01 and were out the door.

I known the first born is tricky as one is fearful and ueless, but the journey will be fine.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Excellent, thanks for the reassurance and words of wisdom.
snow report
When I took a little baby around on my own (which I did quite a bit, including a transatlantic flight in business class on BA) it made life far easier that she was breastfed. I could always shut her up if she was grizzly. At 6 weeks she slept in a chest of drawers in a hotel in Orlando. But she was our third, and she had to put up with what life threw at her. The main problem in Orlando was the absurdly cold conditioned bus from the hotel to Disneyworld - we all had to find some item of clothing we could take off, to keep her from freezing. We were used to living in tropical temperatures; her big brothers shivered in their goose pimples. I had to ask for blankets on the internal flight from Orlando to DC, too. We had to travel light to move everybody around easily and travelling between Barbados/Orlando/DC in the height of summer shouldn't require equipping all the family with heavy warm stuff.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@Bergmeister, Seems to have been used only in two posts, and in a context that's just about within the normal English usage model, in both cases assuming that the speaker is located at the destination, not the starting point. So it's a movement toward the speaker, whereas the Irish usage you allude to uses 'bring' even when it's clearly a movement away, which in British use would always be 'take'.

Not sure I'd agree with that one at all. This could be a long running argument round my way from now on!

Now I've thought about it.

"Bring a bottle", "Yes, I'll bring a bottle to your party", but, "Take a bottle" to their party.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy