Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ankle supports

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone use/recommend one?

I am still waiting for official diagnosis on my ankle & foot (I am guessing it is arthritis due to joint stiffness & pain after activity, along with usual popping & clicking - but no idea which type!).
When I enquired about waiting time, I was told around 25-30 weeks for MSK - which would take me beyond my booked ski trip.

So I thought I would look into ankle/foot support.
In my head, I was hoping of finding a compressions sleeve with ribs running the length to limit movement or put my bones back in place after movement

I have seen the aircast a 60 recommended for sports, but a bit worried about the bulky strap + it seems more to support the ankle from rolling than around than supporting the foot.

Anyone use anything beyond the usual basic sleeves?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I mucked around for years with ankle supports, but eventually learned that the best thing for me was simply very regular cycling. Avoiding impact sports (e.g. jogging etc) also helps a lot. OK, and the occasional steroid injection into the joint at the start of the season snowHead

Not much help for your ski trip though, sorry!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edit: If you can find a tame doctor, definitely try to get a steroid injection, it is like magic and works on your timescale!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Aircast is used for sprains – I have one from my injury in November, though it's a standard one not the sport version. I was advised to use it for all activity for 6 weeks, but the reality was that it was only practical for physio at home where I wasn't wearing shoes. I used it on a gentle hike, wearing trainers not boots, and found it uncomfortable and caused blisters. I gave up after that and used hiking boots instead for support. Yes, it is to stop you rolling your ankle while the ligaments heal, so may not be what you need, and I don't think it would be comfortable inside a boot, if you could even get them on.

Switch to skiing for fully supportive footwear Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:

Switch to skiing for fully supportive footwear Toofy Grin

not an option as I only have 1 good knee & years of supporting the other leg is probably why I now have issues!
This is what MRI says about the messed up knee :-

Code:
The cruciate ligaments are intact. The PCL is stretched which I think is due to his congenital abnormality. The lateral meniscus is normal.
The medial meniscus is discoid in appearance and there is evidence of extensive degenerative change with definite complex tear affecting the meniscus which has a radial component and I think extends obliquely posteriorly.
The collateral ligaments are intact.

Code:
The patella is congenitally displaced to lay in the femoral gutter on the lateral side. The patella itself has not articular cartilage within it and to be virtually flat with no obvious V-shaped appearance.
The patella tendon rises from a very lateral margin on the anterior surface of the tibia and attacked to the inferior pole of the patella in its abnormal position. The quadriceps tendon is hyperplastic but has attached again to the patella.
Surprisingly there is not significant trochlea hyperplasia although the articular cartilage at this site is virtually absent. There is slight irregularity of the medial and lateral compartments of the knee, particular the medial. No significant fissuring or subchondral cystic change is seen.

Evidence of discoid medial meniscus which is unusual with complex tear.
Congenital patella dislocation of the patella.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you tried a basic compression sleeve for your ankle?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jeremyburnhammd wrote:
Have you tried a basic compression sleeve for your ankle?

Steroids may be an option depending on what the underlying diagnosis is. You could also consider prp injections. Just depends on what is causing it and what's working for you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mr.Egg, I used the aircast ankle support after damaging ligaments playing football. I found it very supportive and surprisingly comfortable. I was able to get back to playing tennis (wearing it with tennis shoes) months before I would have done without it. I don't know how well it would work for other problems though
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy