Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So How Long Is That Piece Of String (ski choice)

Poster: A snowHead
I need (or soon will do, I hope!) new skis. I just skipped an ancient ex rental pair of Rossig Pursuit 14s, 163 long. They did me ok, but were beyond saving. The problem, is what the heck to get...

I'll be 66 when I go in January, have about 18 weeks of skiing since starting in 2015, having been taught by the Air Force in the last century. We (wife and I) like cruising blues and the cruisier reds for her; and 'going places', but I like to challenge myself too, and can do for example, any reds n blacks in the 3V and GM. I am sensible on those. I think I'm an 'agricultural' intermediate, I'd say.

The problem seems to be, how to choose; and if done online (or even a uk shop) getting the choice right? With rental, you just go back and change em.

Any advice welcome, ta.

I can afford about £350, which is not a lot, I know, but would be ok with used if from an SH for example. But where to start and where to look. Ta.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dunno about string length but maybe one end could be tied to the Oktobertest at Hemel or Manchester... Even if you don't find something in your budget, you could well find what you should be looking for.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160625
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160627
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
£350 is a tight budget these days for decent new with bindings (unless you have something to remount) particularly with suppy chain issues that seem to have hit stock (plus a whole winter of no trade for UK retailers). So I think you're better looking at decent used and sH is as good a source as any for that. Only skis for sale seem to have dried up a bit here too (a normal summer would see plenty of people selling stuff in your bracket to "trade up" to sexier off piste skis or touring etc).

You're basically looking at piste performance or the skinnier end of "all mountain" skis. It's the main bread and butter for actual retail as distinct to rental. You just need to bnavigate the marketing fluff and dangly bits and understand a few model ranges for the big brands.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Charliegolf, Buy these:
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/dynastar/speed-563-nx-12-gw-konect.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN2fdBJ0jqjp7GIZHl3tKSaQOZXk6rjd_h2NmGPFLYRe5jHLKLDgmAAaAtQGEALw_wcB
Dynastar Speed 563. If you liked the Rossignol Pursuit, you'll like these.
We have them in the ski hire shop. Everyone who asks for an all round ski comes back raving about them (and all want to buy them straight away out of the rental fleet!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You sound roughly like me - I use a slalom ski - have hired Hero's for a couple of years, and used Nordica Doberman's this year which I really liked. Not much good for off piste though, if that's what you mean by 'going places' snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There are also different numbers in the range... The lower numbers are soft beginnery skis and the higher 963, is an awesome ski but there's nothing cruisey about them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here you go: 76mm 15.7m radius
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/voelkl/deacon-xtd-vmotion-10-gw.html

Or 80mm 14m radius
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/rossignol/experience-80-ca-xp-11.html

Or if 160cm is long enough these are a steal
73mm 15m radius
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/rossignol/experience-80-ca-xp-11.html

Plenty of other options here. Check out online reviews for the ones that take your fancy. Probably people on here that would have owned/hired them too who can give an opinion on popular skis like Volkl Deacon or Rossignol Exoerience.
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/skiing/skis/on-piste-skis-with-binding/?makairaFilter%5Bgender%5D%5B0%5D=Men&count=36&offset=0

Good luck
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ignore that and do what @SaraJ, said - sounds like she knows her stuff
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Charliegolf, I don't know where you are, but when I got my new skis 4ish years ago, I found some I wanted online (Scott reverse 184cm) and then rang Ski Bartlett in Uxbridge, who matched that price. I did then end up paying a little more to have quiver killers added. I'd say they would be worth a call at some point in your search. With an open mind on model and make, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something good on that budget.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MorningGory, No, rather 'going on trips on the piste' to other stations and villages in the area.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thecramps, South Wales. One shop in Cowbridge! Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, everyone thanks for the replies so far! But some of you are going to have to metaphorically 'speak slower' in the tech descriptions lol.

Also, 8 weeks on the 163cm skis... should I stick with that; or go up a bit? (I'm 175 cm and 72 kg)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Charliegolf, I didn't have to go into Ski Bartlett. They sent them by courier. But they were very helpful on the phone, great service and I was offered a choice of bindings with advice to match. Good aftersales too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecramps, Noted ta- was just on their site...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Charliegolf, The price they matched was from Glisshop btw.

Happy hunting. snowHead
latest report
@Charliegolf, I'm 183cm and 100+Kg and get given 170's by the hire shop (and Il Professore in Alleghe!) so 163 sounds reasonable. But there are others who know more than me Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Also, 8 weeks on the 163cm skis... should I stick with that; or go up a bit? (I'm 175 cm and 72 kg)

How does that length feel for you? Do you always feel happy and comfortable on them? Do you feel uncertain when you try to go a bit faster? Are they easy to turn? Do you sometimes over turn them i.e. they turn very easily and you end up facing almost uphill?
In your position I'd try a longer ski before I bought one. If you can try the same ski in different sizes one after another you'll know immediately which you prefer.
snow report
SaraJ wrote:
Quote:

How does that length feel for you? Do you always feel happy and comfortable on them? Do you feel uncertain when you try to go a bit faster? Are they easy to turn? Do you sometimes over turn them i.e. they turn very easily and you end up facing almost uphill?
In your position I'd try a longer ski before I bought one. If you can try the same ski in different sizes one after another you'll know immediately which you prefer.

I think that's the only way to go.

Most people don't know what they really like (though it's easier to find out what they dislike). So something that works ok, vs something works very well, is hard to tell without experimenting back to back, in the condition one is typically skiing.

For ages, I though 156 is fine (I'm only 50kg and 165cm). Not until I tried a pair at 167 that I realized my old ski was too short and too soft, hence unstable at even moderate speed. Since getting the new longer skis, I've skied piste I thought that was "too difficult" which the new ski makes it feel perfectly enjoyable.
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
Quote:

How does that length feel for you?generally good Do you always feel happy and comfortable on them?generally yes Do you feel uncertain when you try to go a bit faster?no Are they easy to turn?very, i think Do you sometimes over turn them i.e. they turn very easily and you end up facing almost uphill?no

Understood, and perfect sense.
latest report
@abc, Yours and Saraj's response fits with the one above about Oktobertest... Thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy