Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wheeled ski bag?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
New larger skis just bought so I'm in the market for a new ski bag and considering a wheeled one. Mainly to be smarter on the bags and sports carriage charges.

My question is .... Are they a pain in the butt or worth changing to?

BTW.... in all my years skiing I have never used public transport so that shouldn't be a consideration.

Thanks.!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sportube is the way to go. Easy to wheel if you get the detachable handle. The double ski ones are best. Also great for other sports equipment (especially fishing rods).We now have three of them and have had no problems navigating airports, and more importantly no damage to any skis. The main reason we started with them was significant damage to a pair of (expensive) FIS slalom skis that travelled in a traditional padded ski bag.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gaz_H, i have one double wheeled ski bag and 1 double non-wheeled.

They are both Dakines. The wheeled ine was gifted and gratefully received (family of 4 all with own skis). The non wheeled one I carefully chose due to being massively lighter than wheeled ones and at 190cm long fitted in the dimensions for BA as allowed under normal bags allowance. I have also managed to get 4 pairs of skis into it along with poles ny retracting brakes and arranging with bindings in the middle
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaz_H,
I find a wheeled bag useful (but I'm generally too mean and impatient to hang around for taxis so I walk a lot). If you drive everywhere perhaps not much advantage and there is a weight penalty, similarly if you use a trolley at the airport maybe not so much.
I have used a double Sportube for years. Very tough, takes two pairs of skis with bindings, poles, skins, gloves, socks and numerous other small items.
I have just bought a double wheeled padded bag specifically to take advantage of BA baggage allowance: majority of baggage goes in padded bag, and is easy to pack as the top unzips, boots and other stuff in carry-on bag, and laptop bag for documents and things I need to hand. Your choice may be limited by the length of your new skis. Padded bag £75 from Glide and Slide (I have no connection with this company). Dimensions 330mm (w) x 200mm (d) x 1900mm (l). Weight 3.8 kg. https://www.glideslide.co.uk/ski-equipment/luggage/pro-de-con-magnum-double-wheeled-ski-board-bag-blue__16805

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 15-08-22 10:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dakine do a ski bag called the 'Fall Line'. Really good bit of kit with loads of space and in a variety of sizes as well as being pretty robusts. I have a non-wheeled bag myself but I've seen others use them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another option: Wedze wheeled ski bag (Large) from Decathlon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have both. Wheeled bag is good if you are only moving it across smooth airport floors etc. If you have to lug it up and down steps, across snow etc then the wheels are less useful. However there's a weight penalty (typically 4kg+ for a wheeled bag) and a 20-23kg wheeled bag can be awkward to handle in queues etc.

The non wheeled bag has better handles (I can sling it over my shoulder, which isn't an option with the wheeled bag). Lighter weight means more kit (or less weight overall) which might be useful. Most of the time now I take a light holdall (with rucksack straps) for clothes, and a non-wheeled bag for skis. This works well for me, as each bag is lighter and easier to manage. I do use a lot of public transport though and don't usually pay extra for ski carriage.

Realistically if I'm flying and trying to take just one bag (plus hand luggage) it'll be the wheeled bag, because all my kit will be ~20kg and that's too much for me to carry without wheels.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy