Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atrovent (ipratropium bromide)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When skiing I always suffer from a runny nose due to the cold. About 15 years ago I started using Atrovent nasal spray (active ingredient ipratropium bromide) and it worked like magic. Unfortuneately it has been discontinued in Australia, and the only other product with ipratropium bromide contains another active ingredient which shouldn't be used for more than three or four days in a row.

A bit of googling suggests Rinaspray or Rinatec is the equivalent product in the UK, but that it also may have been discontinued.

Does anyone else use this product, and have any info if it is just Australia where it has been discontinued? Sanofi was the manufacturer.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rdk, I'm a pharmacist in the UK, but work in a doctor's practice. My computer says Rinaspray is still available, but I do not know the stock situation in a community pharmacy as it's been a while since I worked in one. It is a prescription only medicine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rdk, not being obvious* but have you asked your doctor?

* being totally obvious Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells wrote:
@rdk, I'm a pharmacist in the UK, but work in a doctor's practice. My computer says Rinaspray is still available, but I do not know the stock situation in a community pharmacy as it's been a while since I worked in one. It is a prescription only medicine.

Community Pharmacist here.... Out of stock currently - like everything else these days! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies - in Australia it was OTC medication. The pharmacist I go to said he has no idea why it has been dioscontinued but has had lots of people asking for it. I have a doctors appointment in a month for a checkup so I'll ask then. The drug seems to exist in inhaler form for asthma, but it was the nasal spray I used.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting, I too have a constantly runny nose when skiing, really annoying as the constant wiping makes it sore and removes the sunscreen so the sun makes my nose sore as well, never thought of a nasal spray for the task & quickly dismissed the idea of nasal tampons Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@joe1978, thanks, thought it probably would be.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tangowaggon, I first read about ipratropium bromide in New Scientist fifteen or so years ago. The article said it stopped runny noses dead, had no side effects and could be used for at least ski holiday length of time with no issues. In Australia only Atrovent was "pure" ipratropium bromide and it worked a treat. My nose was like yours, so I used it all the time.

There is a product here Otrivin Plus that contains xylometazoline hydrochloride and ipratropium bromide, but the first drug shouldn't be used continuously so I only use it for a day or two at a time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
joe1978 wrote:

Community Pharmacist here.... Out of stock currently - like everything else these days! Evil or Very Mad

Sorry if this is a dumb question from a non-UK dweller, but what exactly is a "community Pharmacist"? Is this just an ordinary Pharmacy/Chemists shop, and why is "everything else" out of stock?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
joe1978 wrote:

Sorry if this is a dumb question from a non-UK dweller, but what exactly is a "community Pharmacist"? Is this just an ordinary Pharmacy/Chemists shop, and why is "everything else" out of stock?

Quick summary - All Phamacists come out of higher education the same then enter different specialities or move between them through their career
Community Pharamcist - The one most familiar, gives out medicaction, flu jabs and healthcare advice without appointment etc
Hospital Pharmacist - Works in hospital checking admission/discharge/ward rounds etc
Practice Pharmacist - GP practice based supporting them with reviews and prescribing decisions etc
Industrial Pharmacist - makes stuff in big labs doesn't see patients.

There are multiple other roles but these are the main ones.

Drug Shortages are a nightmare and the root cause stated varies depending in who has the vested interest! Brexit, Ukraine, manufacturing plant failures, spiralling unreimursable cost that makes wholesale pointless. Regardless its a huge issue for #1 and #3 above to try and keep the ship running smoothly!
eg. Drug A is widely used by a massive population but supplies fail for whatever reason, Pharmacists nationwide say "Drug B is very similar not used as much can the Dr change the patient to it" Then Drug B goes out of stock as manufacturer doesn't have a crystal ball and repeat to fade.

Of course I'm removing all my cynacism regarding the manipulation of a not fit for purpose medication supply model in the UK which is as complex as you can possibly imagine!

Joe
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy