Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for where to go January and March.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Can anyone recommend anywhere for January and March p, doesn’t have to be the same place,

-Very few surface lifts as in pomas and t bars, as I hate them.
-modern lifts
-either chalet or self catering
-France or Austria,
-no more than 2hoursfrom an airport, that we can fly to from Scotland (ideally direct, also ideally Aberdeen but Edinburgh and Glasgow okay too).
-plenty green and blue runs but also plenty black runs. (Mixed group so need different levels).
-no none skiers so that’s not an issue.

We’ve been to a lot of places, we liked courchevel but only stay in le praz but the links t9 the main area aren’t great. We’ve also been to scheffau in the skiwelt but I’m not keen on, it’s okay but not great.

If anyone has any suggestions I’d be very grateful.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Skioilers, is this for 2 seperate 1 week trips or are you planning on spending the whole of January and March skiing?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swskier wrote:
@Skioilers, is this for 2 seperate 1 week trips or are you planning on spending the whole of January and March skiing?

Sorry two separate week long trips. I wish I could spend that long skiing lol.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pds?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your two hours from the airport isn’t a deal breaker:

Val D’Isere / Tignes
Les Arcs / La Plagnes
Trois Vallees

If it must be closer:

Flaine

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 7-08-22 17:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Skioilers, 14th jan throws up some decent Jet2 prices to Salzburg from Edi (Aberdeen doesn't seem to have many options). I would then head to Saalbach or Flachau (even though i am about to suggest neighbouring Wagrain). Numerous BB and HB options depending on your price range but less catered chalet options. Danski have properties in Hinterglemm (Hotel Pinzgauerhof) and Wagrain (Clubhotel Widmoos) which are reasonably priced for half board including lift pass and thise properties are either pisteside or next to a lift. Hinterglemm under 2 hours transfer, Wagrain under 1. Plenty of self catering options for both via the tourist office websites or sunweb/ snowtrex. A couple of people on here with apartments in both areas (@tatmanstours and @redandwhiteflachau spring to mind)who may have availability if they suit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
personally, I think the Portes du Soleil isnbetter than the Grand Massif, and PdS is sort of bigger.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies guys. You seem to be able to fly Aberdeen to Geneva with easyJet, so within two hours of Geneva is an option. Then we can fly to Salzburg or Innsbruck or Geneva from Edinburgh.

Not sure whether we’re doing package or not yet. Probably not but maybe depending on where we go.

Potentially also going with a few other people too.

So we need somewhere that’s good for someone that likes pootling about on greens and easy blues (me, I’m a very cautious person lol) and them they like hard reds and blacks.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I’m going to look into them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
If your two hours from the airport isn’t a deal breaker:

Val D’Isere / Tignes
Les Arcs / La Plagnes
Trois Vallees

Agree with this. Bite the transfer bullet to get to the areas that meet your skiing requirements.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skioilers, EasyJ defo have done Saturday GVA flights (other days as well, depending).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've decided on Courchevel I think (at least for Jan, not sure about march yet), my dad didnt care about time in the end. I was trying to be all preemptive but anyways, suits me lol. For our summer holiday it matters but clearly for skiing anything goes lol.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PDS has everything you've stated.... I'd prob stay in Morzine to be central. March should be good
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For January I would look at Saalbach Hinterglemm. It is a pretty short transfer from Salzburg (no idea about flights from Scotland but sure there must be some). It is usually at its best in January, it has a very modern lift system (mostly chairs & gondolas) and a large variety of pistes though not so much in really challenging blacks and off piste (though it does host a stage of the free ride world tour so there is some decent off piste terrain). I believe cheaper than France and the apres is generally better in Austria than France.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
For January I would look at Saalbach Hinterglemm. It is a pretty short transfer from Salzburg (no idea about flights from Scotland but sure there must be some). It is usually at its best in January, it has a very modern lift system (mostly chairs & gondolas) and a large variety of pistes though not so much in really challenging blacks and off piste (though it does host a stage of the free ride world tour so there is some decent off piste terrain). I believe cheaper than France and the apres is generally better in Austria than France.

^^^
flying to Salzburg also offers up the Ski Amadé area... just 45 minutes away by car or easy transfers... so Schladming, Flachau etc... and also a bit further up the valley is Obertauern (not part of Ski Amadé but on the Salzburger super pass....)

Naturally I carry a bucket load of bias as I've lived here for almost 17 years and have ran our place for that long too!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Skioilers, If you're flying into Salzburg I can highly recommend flangesax's place Haus Susanne mentioned above. Easy transfer from the airport with taxi Huber.
ski holidays
Skioilers wrote:
We've decided on Courchevel I think (at least for Jan, not sure about march yet), my dad didnt care about time in the end. I was trying to be all preemptive but anyways, suits me lol. For our summer holiday it matters but clearly for skiing anything goes lol.

I think this is an excellent choice in terms of skiing. Something for everyone.
If you're looking to keep cost down then look into staying in 1550 or 1650 as opposed to 1850.
Depending on the size of your group a private transfer might not work out too bad if you're splitting it between a good number. Three Vallee transfers have served us well before. Also, private transfer might get you there in a little over the 2 hours if you get lucky with weather and traffic as you're travelling outside of busy periods.
latest report
Skioilers wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. You seem to be able to fly Aberdeen to Geneva with easyJet, so within two hours of Geneva is an option. Then we can fly to Salzburg or Innsbruck or Geneva from Edinburgh.

Not sure whether we’re doing package or not yet. Probably not but maybe depending on where we go.

Potentially also going with a few other people too.

So we need somewhere that’s good for someone that likes pootling about on greens and easy blues (me, I’m a very cautious person lol) and them they like hard reds and blacks.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I’m going to look into them.

St Martin De Belleville (in the 3 Valleys) is a 1 hour 55 minute drive from Geneva. Val Thorens is 2 hours 15, so you may wish to write that off (for the sake of 15 minutes driving...) .
snow report
Well have booked for end of January. Staying in Le Praz like we have before.

There’s a new lift (well new since we’ve been last) which should make it much easier.

Haven’t booked flights yet but probably going ba into chambery from Edinburgh.

Thanks for all the advice, even though I didn’t exactly take any of it.
snow report
Skioilers wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, even though I didn’t exactly take any of it.

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I used to go to places like Courchevel before I discovered Saalbach wink Very Happy
snow conditions
Ahh but were going to courchevel because of the ski instruction that the chalet company provide. I’m sure there’s better places though but still it’s good enough lol.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy