Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Parking near Geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
Does anybody know of anywhere cheap, or preferably free, to park a car at or near to Geneva airport?
Also any info on free parking at Chambery or Grenoble airports would be useful.
I am looking for stays of between 1 to 3 weeks and am looking for somewhere within 20 minutes by public transport or taxi.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Parking at Chambery is free, however I'm not sure how long they would let you stay for.

Andy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Does anybody know of anywhere cheap, or preferably free, to park a car at or near to Geneva airport?

I doubt very much if such a thing exists on the Swiss side. But there are some big supermarkety sort of areas in Ferney Voltaire, with some industrial estate businesses around, and I suspect it might be able to find some cheap parking by asking around there. If there was anywhere cheap within easy reach though the airport carparks would not be doing such a roaring trade. wink

I've parked for a week at Chambery - free and within 100 metres of the terminal - when flying back to the UK. No idea whether there would be a limit on time - worth asking.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're bold enough you cold try in the works car parks or any of the residential streets within easy walking distance of GVA:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=h&ll=46.226793,6.104423&z=18
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I think I know the place you mean in Ferney Voltaire, is it the big Leclerc supermarket opposite the Novotel?. I usually buy petrol from there when I am returning to the French side.
I have just had a look at flights to Chambery and they only seem to be flying at weekends this year from Manchester so that will probably mean I will be looking for parking near Geneva.

altis, I'm probably not bold enough to park in a works car park but I suppose I could see if I could park on somebodies drive. Any idea of any websites or contacts?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could trying posting the question on http://www.glocals.com/ - most young internationals in Geneva are so poor they will and do sell everything. The classifieds section often has sub-lets of apartments for one or two weeks. I am sure some enterprising UN intern would sell you a parking space on a drive (but there are not that many houses with drives in Geneva) or in an underground car park near the airport. Almost everywhere in Geneva is only 20 minutes from the airport. Car parking spots are hot property here, I pay 200 chf a month to park my car in the garage under my flat. Still that is cheaper than the airport - the prices there went up recently.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
See attached link. It shows two car parks (cannot remember the numbers). The car park shown in the North West is free (I Think). Has no security though so not sure how safe it is. The one below has reasonable rates.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=h&ie=UTF8&ll=46.241579,6.120147&spn=0.004986,0.009602&z=17

I always leave my car in 51 but costs can add up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tp023, That should be ideal, I think I have seen it being used as an overflow car park when the motor show is in Geneva. I am not too bothered about the security aspects, I haven't bought the car yet and I imagine when I do it will not be that desirable. I only intend to keep it out there for the winter season so I can have frequent and cheaper transfers to Champagny. The plan is to buy in November then sell in May.

Snoozie, Thanks, that looks like a very useful website, I may post a request on it to see what is available. I had a look at renting a garage in Ferney Voltaire via an estate agent and they were quoting 90 euros a month
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I pay 50 swiss a month for a place in a residence about 15 mins walk from the airport in rue l'Echarpine (the end closest to the airport). It's 100 /month covered. Yearly contract only & it's a massive pain in the neck to set up as they probably all are but once it's done all is well, via http://www.dunand.ch/

Don't park it at the Ibis! We did this for a while - it's free and very close to the airport, but always felt a bit nervous as the residents (or possibly the hotels) are understandable a bit pissed off about their road looking like a dumping ground for knackered seasonnaire's cars with 74 or UK plates, and I've heard stories that occasionally someone will splash acid on the lot. And they've been clamping some with a private firm recently
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tp023, I tried parking in the free car park yesterday (it is number P47) when I returned to Geneva airport but it is now being used by somebody to store new audis. There was also a sign saying parking was limited to users of a park and ride (or cycle) scheme, see this link http://www.geneve.ch/parkings/parkings_parc_relais/pr_47.html .
The car park next to it (P49) only had 2 cars parked on it but I thought if I am paying for the privelege of parking I would prefer to be nearer the airport. Also, as I am due out again on Sunday evening, I didn't fancy turning up to find my car locked up for the weekend so I ended up parking in the French sector in P29.
My next return flight is back from Chambery so I am hoping I can leave my car there for free.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Picked my car up from Chambery airport after leaving it there for a couple of weeks, no problem once I'd cleared the snow away.
Flight back this time was from Geneva so I was going to leave the car in the underground car park in Moutiers and catch the train to Geneva. Unfortunately they have closed the car park in Moutiers so I ended up in a place called Culoz which is just North of Lac de Bourget, and about 20 minutes drive from Chambery airport. It is only a small village but has an hourly train service to Geneva that takes 50 minutes and costs 14 euros. Lots of free car parking next to the station and an even bigger, empty car park 200 metres walk away.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Everything went well last weekend when I flew from Liverpool to Geneva. Arrived in Geneva airport on Friday at 4:15pm, straight through customs and onto the train into Geneva centre only waiting 1 minute before it set off. Arrived at Geneva central station, bought a single ticket to Culoz for £11.50ish and was on the 4:58pm train arriving in Culoz at 5:50pm. After a quick trip to the Carrefour supermarket in Culoz it only took me 1 hr 30 min to drive to Champagny. I was delayed slightly at the car park outside the station in Culoz as a Swiss guy who had left his car there 3 weeks earlier couldn't get it started so I agreed to help him out.
The return journey back on the Tuesday morning went equally as smoothly. It took 1 hr 40 minutes for the drive from Champagny to Culoz, no problems parking, bought a single ticket for 10.8 euros, caught the 12:02 (on time) train to Geneva and then the 13:07 train to Geneva airport arriving at 13:14 giving plenty of time for the 15:05 flight to Liverpool. All the trains were clean, punctual, well equipped and good value, a refreshing change to my experience of the train services in Britain.
I noticed the underground car park in Moutiers is now open again but decided to stick with Culoz for the time being as it has at least twice as many trains to Geneva than from Moutiers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just thought I would update this thread now the season has finished.

Leaving the car at Culoz train station and catching the train to Geneva worked well most of the time. I had no problems with security leaving the car in the station car park for up to 3 weeks at a time, my only worry was whether the car would start. Fortunately I was lucky and the car started first or second time, although in January at -10 degrees C it needed to or I could have had problems. I did have a fall back option (jump leads) and europ assistance if that failed.

Reminder for next December - buy a new battery.

The trains were punctual, clean and cheap (about £11 each way from Culoz to Geneva airport). Even during the SNCF strikes in March a few trains ran and I only had a delay of a couple of hours.
The major problem I had was due to work being carried out on the line between Geneva and Lyon in March and April. Quite a few of the stations on that line were being refurbished (including Culoz) which meant cancellation of some trains, usually between 10am and 2 pm. They did provide an alternative bus service but it was not that frequent. Fortunately I found a reasonable Chinese restaurant opposite the station in Geneva and managed to spend a couple of hours in there.
I think most of the work on the line has now been completed and the timetable is back to normal.

For anybody with frequent journeys to Geneva from the French Alps another option is to travel to Bellegarde station. It has more frequent train services than Culoz with trains run by both the French (SNCF) and Swiss (SBB) railway companies, the fare is cheaper (approx £6), it only takes 28 minutes and it is just off the A40 to the south East of Geneva. I think it has free parking near to the station but I am not positive.

I am also now selling the car I bought to use in England over winter. Anyone after a good used Toyota Yaris?? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300425973063&ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm very interested in the type of parking solution described above by skichampcouk, ie park outside Geneva and use a regular and reliable train service to get to the airport. Somewhere I can leave a car cheaply for a couple of weeks, not too worried if it's covered or not. Have tried to locate the town described above as Bellegarde as just off the A40 SE of Geneva - is this Bellegarde-sur-Valserine (which is SW of Geneva) or is there another Bellegarde?

I'm looking for such a parking/rail solution on the A40 SE towards Chamonix - any ideas anyone?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skichampcouk, very interesting update, thanks. Did you explore any options in Ferney-Voltaire?
snow report
ww166no
IIRC, there is parking near the station at Cluses but check first.

However, the problem with park and ride from the Cham side is that the train only takes you to Eaux-Vives station in Geneva. It's then another 30 minutes hike to the main train station to get another out to the airport. You can get a tram instead of the walk but I can't remember the number. Details are probably available on the GVA website.
latest report
altis, Thank you. Yes, I've just worked out that all the best rail connections to the airport are from the SW and the N. So it seems the options are to do as skichampcouk, suggests and drive past G and park up at Bellegarde which appears to be a 45-50min ride back to the station or possibly to continue past the airport and head along the E62 towards Nyon which seems to have a much faster train link to the airport. Anybody got any experience of parking along the N shore of the lake, perhaps in a small station carpark? A little research suggested Coppet station as a possibility. It appears to be 50F to park for a month, but I'm guessing that there isn't much availability. Nyon?
ski holidays
Bellegarde parking is no longer free as it is now an "international" TGV terminus. The town is not very secure so I wouldn't advice parking long term. Seysel and Culoz are probably better bets on the same line.
snow report
good info here, people. thanks
snow report
Had a drive through Culoz and then Bellegarde on the way back to Geneva yesterday. Free parking is still available at Culoz train station with a larger free empty car cark also available 200 metres away.
The parking situation is not as good in Bellegarde, the local area is busy and built up with parking at a premium. The station car park is a pay and display car park, it is 9 euros per day or 35 euros a week. More details here https://www.resaplace.com/?gclid=co2gzvwiokycfcoifaodbgofkg#;

The relevant Train timetables for Culoz and Bellegarde i.e Geneva to Bellegarde, Geneva to Lyon and Geneva to Valence can be found here :-

http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Rhone_Alpes/Tridion/34aff_tcm-31-19881.pdf

http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Rhone_Alpes/Tridion/03aff_V1_tcm-31-19868.pdf

http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Rhone_Alpes/Tridion/02aff_au12sept_tcm-31-64792.pdf

The timetables change from 10th December but hopefully the links will take you through to the latest timetable. I'm pretty sure the Swiss rail service also have trains running from Geneva to Bellegarde but am not sure where to find the information.

My plan is to park at Culoz again this year, just need to buy the new battery and winter tyres before I take the car out.

pam w, I didn't look any further into the option at parking in Ferney Voltaire as it worked well for me in Culoz. Apologies for the delayed reply.
snow report
The new Train timetables for Culoz and Bellegarde i.e Geneva to Bellegarde, Geneva to Lyon and Geneva to Valence can be found here :-

http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Rhone_Alpes/Tridion/34aff_tcm-31-19833.pdf

http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Rhone_Alpes/Tridion/03aff_tcm-31-19820.pdf

http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Rhone_Alpes/Tridion/02aff_tcm-31-19819.pdf

Trains between Culoz and Geneva are approximately every 2 hours during the week, fewer direct trains are available on a Saturday. Services are available on a Saturday but it will mean a change at Bellegarde.
The timetables are valid from 11th December 2011 to 7th July 2012, the links do not update when the next timetable is issued.

Times can be checked online here http://horaires2012-sncf.com/
snow report
Now that I no longer need to work, I spend 90 days a year in the Alps but live in Australia. I thought, if only I owned or maybe leased a car, it would make moving around between ski resorts so much more convenient. But I would need to be able to store the vehicle for the rest of the year probably somewhere close to and accessible from Geneva.
Does anyone know any such long term car storage facilities.
latest report
I have parked a few times at Culoz and travelled to and from Geneva this season without any problem or incident. Trains are approximately every 2 hours, more frequent during the morning rush hours.
Maintenance work is planned from early March to early April and some morning rail services are to be replaced by a bus service. Anybody thinking of parking in Culoz and taking the train to / from Geneva needs to check the timetable on the SNCF website.
snow report
Thank you!
Some really good info in this
So far I have stayed at the NH hotel, paying 160 CHF a month. But they won't let me park during the Motor Show

I also commute to CHX and happy to car share or, looking at other parking solutions, in Geneva or a nearby French station

Any further updates / experiences are highly appreciated.
latest report
Anyone has up to date experience with Belgarde? Thank you
snow conditions
V. useful:

http://www.parkopedia.com/
ski holidays
any latest suggestions for leaving a car year round near GVA its a LHD French registered car
snow report
@cheztichot, And when you find out, can you let me know!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, if you are still looking for parking near Geneva airport, I have an underground parking space in Grand Saconnex, 2km from airport (20 minutes walk or 10 minutes by bus)
latest report
@abominable, Hi, if you are still looking for parking near Geneva airport, I have an underground parking space in Grand Saconnex, 2km from airport (20 minutes walk or 10 minutes by bus)
snow report
@abominable, Hi, if you are still looking for parking near Geneva airport, I have an underground parking space in Grand Saconnex, 2km from airport (20 minutes walk or 10 minutes by bus)
snow report
If anybody is looking to book parking near Geneva Airport I have just had a bad experience with parking booked through one of the internet booking agencies. I would prefer not to name them at this stage until I have finished dealing with them but am happy to supply the name etc. by PM.
ski holidays
park and ski wrote:

Just sent you PM
ski holidays
@skitow, I'd like to hear more about your bad internet booking experience
snow report
@park and ski, do you still have a slot available?
snow report
onapairofmissions wrote:
@skitow, I'd like to hear more about your bad internet booking experience

I will send you a pm later on today.
snow conditions
yes private parking near airport available
snow conditions
onapairofmissions wrote:
@park and ski, do you still have a slot available?

Hi

you mean a parking slot ?
Yes it's a parking space in a private underground garage
ski holidays
@park and ski, I have sent you a PM
ski holidays
Hi, anyone that has any updates/recommendations regarding renting a car parking space for long term (monthly-yearly) near Geneva airport for a reasonable amount (prefereable <=100 Euro/CHF per month)? Alternatively somewhere it's easy to get to/from by public transport (also in late evenings or early mornings) in the Cluses-Sallanches direction?

Thx!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy