Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Controversial Proposal

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads!

I come to you with a controversial question:

Would you be willing to rent your ski gear for a couple of weeks/months each year? Of course, the weeks/months you are not using it. The profits would allow you to renew your whole ski gear each 3 years.

Post below if you would or you wouldn’t and under what conditions!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So on top of your ski storage and delivery business you are going to pay owners to rent their gear then rent it out to others and make a margin? Like a timeshare?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ster wrote:
So on top of your ski storage and delivery business you are going to pay owners to rent their gear then rent it out to others and make a margin? Like a timeshare?

Hello again, Ster!

Well, both options are still on the table. Skiers could opt simply to store their gear year round or take advantage of the fact that their skis are already on the mountain and rent them. What do you think?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My Precious! O my Precioussss!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jalopez90, hello again. I assume you mean skis and snowboards when you say "gear".

If you are guaranteeing income for the owner (which I think you are), I imagine you would then demand that the ski is available for certain weeks that rental demand would be high, but likely thats also when the owner would want to use them too. Thats one of the problem with timeshares.

I would also be worried even if you rented out for a peak week and I was coming the next week to use my ski that there would be a cock up in getting them back to me or they would have been damaged/stolen leaving me with no ski when I needed it.

Also I guess you would only want very good (valuable skis) to get top dollar when renting out, otherwise you make no money. I wouldnt like my expensive skis being used by some renter who has no idea and would slide them across a carpark (I've seen it happen).

So if I had an expensive pair of skis (but I don't Very Happy ) I wouldn't be interested.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No. I use my skis every week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:

Twice a week? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the basis that a decent pair of skis can probably do 200 days if looked after and most 1-2 week a year skiers won’t put that level of usage on their skis, I think the proposal has some legs. The problem is surely whether renters wreck the skis or punters expect freshly serviced skis each time. That could put a lot of wear on the skis. Also they won’t have rental bindings so you’ll be very limited by the BSL range.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
On the basis that a decent pair of skis can probably do 200 days if looked after and most 1-2 week a year skiers won’t put that level of usage on their skis, I think the proposal has some legs. The problem is surely whether renters wreck the skis or punters expect freshly serviced skis each time. That could put a lot of wear on the skis. Also they won’t have rental bindings so you’ll be very limited by the BSL range.

Thank you! Valuable feedback, I'll look more into the lifetime of a pair of skis and the bindings to make a better value proposition!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What are you putting together? Air BnB for skis?

I'd be more than happy to do it (not like I don't have spare skis in my quiver that may not even get used in a given winter) but question whether you could pay enough to make it worth my while. And that's before we consider hassles like BSL compatability and cost of ski transit.

If we assume this is part of your ski storage solution what's in it for me? Free storage? Free storage and repairs/tuning? Cashback after a certain number of days rental? I'd definitely leave a pair of older skis with you for free storage if they were available to me nicely tuned whenever I got out. But then they'd be least attractive for you to rent out.

So it's not a terrible idea but just really hard to execute on well even before we consider marketing cost?

AIUI the key to AirBNB and Uber et al is not customers now but inventory (homes. drivers). You'd still have acquisition costs at both ends.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
What are you putting together? Air BnB for skis?

I'd be more than happy to do it (not like I don't have spare skis in my quiver that may not even get used in a given winter) but question whether you could pay enough to make it worth my while. And that's before we consider hassles like BSL compatability and cost of ski transit.

If we assume this is part of your ski storage solution what's in it for me? Free storage? Free storage and repairs/tuning? Cashback after a certain number of days rental? I'd definitely leave a pair of older skis with you for free storage if they were available to me nicely tuned whenever I got out. But then they'd be least attractive for you to rent out.

Thanks for the feedback, Dave!

Well, right now my idea of "what is in it for you" is more in line with you getting enough cash to renew your skis/board close to their deterioration date. But of course, you could keep the cash if you'd prefer. Yes, they would be nicely tuned and ready for you to use. If the ones you leave are older, then I just suppose they would be rented for less!

Right now, before defining price or any other detail, I just want to know if ski owners would be interested in the model, based on that I would decide if doubling down on the idea or folding.

And I completely agree, the execution seems pretty hard - but I will try my best !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jalopez90, You get where I'm going with this though? I'm definitely in if I can buy a pair of secondhand skis for say £100, leave them with you so they are ready and tuned whenever I need them and on the odd occasion you rent them I make some money. I don't have much downside in that transaction. If I'm buying a pair of new skis for say £1000 though there is much more potential downside for me. In short you'd probably need certain rules to avoid being the Rent a wreck of skiing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
In short you'd probably need certain rules to avoid being the Rent a wreck of skiing.

Well Rent a Wreck seem to have a viable business model for cars...... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I bought a pair of end of season rental skis in April in Les Arcs this year. They were 70 euros and I thought great value compared to the 120 euro that rental skis would've been for the week. My calculation was that if I could get 2 weeks out of them then I'd save a fair few quid. The skis are 170cm, probably a bit short for me, but they were great and I didn't once think I'd missed out on anything.

Once I got home I looked up the make and model on the internet. It turns out they were end of season rental skis - but probably end of season 2005. Felt a bit stupid for a few minutes, but then I decided that I really didn't care. They did the job for the week, in fact they were great - really quick and nimble when turning and stable at speed. And I'll get another week at least out of them, so they're cheap, cheap, cheap.

Judging by the amount of fancy new gear on show in Les Arcs, I'd imagine that many people buy new skis and discard them whilst they've still got plenty of good use left in them. I'd happily buy up good, reconditioned second-hand skis if they'd been tidied up and given a new lease of life. And, yes, if you somone could look after them so that they're ready for my use, and if someone else wanted to rent them for a few quid, then why not?
snow report
@YellowAndBlue, Never put in beyond a French rental shop to turn some profit on something already depreciated. That said there's kinda a minimum price for a functioning modern ski and binding and you pretty much got it.
latest report
Jalopez90 wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Thank you! Valuable feedback, I'll look more into the lifetime of a pair of skis and the bindings to make a better value proposition!

That comment makes me feel that you really don't have any understanding of the market.

I'm no expert in this area either, but have had some exposure to the workings of ski shops over the years, and feel that there's a couple of basic flaws in your concept you've perhaps not thought through.

In simple terms, a typical rental ski will normally last only one season. It will have a full machine service between each rental, so the wear rate is much higher than normal usage. An expected life of 200 days may be reasonable if you're getting them serviced perhaps every twenty days or so, but not if you do it every five or six days.

So I buy a pair of top-end skis, for let's say 1000 quid for the sake of argument. You rent them out for the season, let's say for ten weeks max, as I need them for at least a couple of (prime) weeks. To make a profit (for me) you need to be able to give me at least 100 quid per week, so what with your storage, servicing, insurance, and other overheads you'll be charging the customer what, 150 for the week?

Oh, and I mentioned insurance, because of course if I've handed over a pair of brand new skis to you and the first customer that uses them stands on a spikey rock, I'm not going to be very happy if you're not able to replace them.

On top of which, if I find a ski that works for me I want to keep it as long as I can, typically for five or six seasons in my case, given my circumstances. So no, I wouldn't be happy for it to get all that extra wear while I'm not getting any enjoyment from it.
snow report
I think you may be overstating the frequency of full services on rental fleets ( compared to chuck it on a belt wax and call it good) but there is no doubt volume servicing doesn't exactly preserve lifespan for regular retail skis i.e. there's a base gouge let's just whack it through the grinder til it's gone.

It's really the loss of control over how they are treated that would prevent anyone putting their own new skis into the system. And the lack of careful treatment is why rental specific skis are made with thicker bases.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, To be fair, the skis that I bought weren't specifically marked as 'end of season' skis. There were just 4 x sets of skis in the corner with cheap prices on them, and I presumed it was some sort of end of season deal. I sort of suggested that they might be 3 or 4 years old, to which the reply was non-committal - so I think more a case of 'buyer beware' than rogue trader. However, I really was very happy with them and will use them again and get my money's worth.

In terms of the original question, I'd say that if people are investing significant amounts of cash in decent/latest kit then they'd want to use it solely themselves and not run the risk of someone else ruining it. But in the cheapo/bargain market, well there's always someone looking for a deal.
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
[
In simple terms, a typical rental ski will normally last only one season. It will have a full machine service between each rental, so the wear rate is much higher than normal usage. An expected life of 200 days may be reasonable if you're getting them serviced perhaps every twenty days or so, but not if you do it every five or six days.

Not my experience. Even in Switzerland shops keep skis at least 2 years and usually more, especially for more exotic models.

And rental edges/bases are thick and last for ages.

Even in non-rental skis there are big variations. A well built pair of Stockli’s or Kaestle’s will last for several seasons. A light touring ski on the other hand, will be much more fragile.

And if you’re skiing them in great conditions all week they may just need a quick wax. If someone’s taken them over a load of rocks and done a load of edge damage they might need a major service and you could lose a significant amount of edge/base to get them looking clean again.

But on the other hand if the OP could make it work, he might have a really nice range of Exotic skis in storage which could be an attractive prospect to a renter. Say I’ve got a pair of nice piste skis, but have the opportunity for a supplement to borrow some powder skis as conditions are great. Or alternatively I’ve got some all mountains, conditions are poor and I could borrow some piste skis. There’s definitely some potential if he can find a model that avoids the skis being abused and provides advantages to his “members”.
snow conditions
Not to be unkind, but this is insane. It IS rent-a-wreck, and nobody here skis on wrecks, nor would we subject our gear to being ruined by some ya-hoo. Lots of low-end labor required; good luck with that. 0% chance this has legs. Sorry.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, yep there is a reason the way the ski rental market is the way it is
1 - Generic rental skis because rental customers don't in general care
2- Bought in bulk at a deep discount compared to retail prices
3 - Rental bindings to fit to all (easily), maybe even a fast system to match to rental boots
4 - Used for at least 2 seasons or more dependent on condition
5 - Flipped at retail at end of useful rental life to redeliver capital
6 - Serviced to a cost not a standard because for the odd customer that complains just give him another pair of skis

This model would add inefficiency to all that.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
[
In simple terms, a typical rental ski will normally last only one season.

Not my experience. Even in Switzerland shops keep skis at least 2 years and usually more, especially for more exotic models.

And rental edges/bases are thick and last for ages.

Well I did say I was no expert on this wink

But anyway, we're not talking about rental-specific skis here; more, I imagine, higher-end kit such as is more common for folks that buy their own kit. Which also would tend not to be on rental bindings, and although some plate-binding systems allow for a fair amount of adjustment you're going to have to pick very carefully which skis would be suitable for which skier.

Which raises another question for the OP to address - what sort of liability issues might be involved if a skier has an accident due to incorrectly-mounted or set bindings?
ski holidays
Sorry I don't see any logic in this set up for me. I ski in different places each time, fly to different airports heck even different continents having my quiver sitting in some place in Europe doesn't add up. I don't share my skis with friends or family so hell no am I handing them over to a stranger.

Renting skis is pretty cheap in Europe, not much fat to make a profit unless you go in big quantity.

I presume your setting yourself up in a place like geneva airport?

For the punter who's renting
What happen half way through a rental week and the client has a equipment failure?
Client unhappy with equipment?
If picking up skis in airport I still have to get them to and fore to resort, one of the main advantages of renting is picking up and dropping of equipment at bottom of the slope.

One thing you might have been able to rent out was avalanche airbag cylinders at airports but electric airbags has kind of killed that market.
latest report
Great idea. I’d do it.

I would want the following things:
- Fuss-free pickup and delivery of my skis back
- I would want my skis serviced before being returned
- There would need to be insurance or a guarantee in case of damage and clear guidelines on what level of damage you are okay with

I would be worried about renting out off piste skis at the beginning and end of the season.

If the price was right, and it did enable a new set of skis, I would buy more skis!

It’s worth saying that I avoid the peak weeks like the plague, so my skis would be available then.

Great to see this innovative thinking. Good luck if you try it out! I actually think that if you can get the execution right, the supply side of the market place is not the major challenge. I think the demand side will be. How do you break through the noise of ski hire shops, which are also pretty cheap.

I thought an interesting idea would be mobile ski hire, basically reducing your overheads.
snow report
Sorry, still a dumb idea. Simple costs of carriage wipe out any hope of profit. Plus organisation.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Sorry, still a dumb idea. Simple costs of carriage wipe out any hope of profit. Plus organisation.

Yeah, but it's kept us amused for a couple of days. eh?

Seems like the OP hadn't given any thought to any of the logistical issues, nor indeed to potential costs involved, and is just using SH as a bouncing board for his idea. Still hasn't given any indication of where he thinks the operation would be based and how he thought it would operate.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too much negativity here. Base yourself in Geneva and I reckon there’s a market for this albeit a membership thing sharing decent skis as opposed to cheap punter rentals. Rate the skis based on value / condition. List the BSL range. Link cost to the wear put on the skis. You need storage, a good tech and a good website/app to manage your fleet of skis. Not easy by any means but not impossible
snow report
@BobinCH, the Genevoises typically rent for the season …
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Indeed they do, and mostly ski on the weekends; I assumed he was more thinking about UK arrivals there, en-route to French and Swiss resorts. Would it be great if someone could just meet you at the airport with your skis?

I do recall that someone used to do this out of Gatwick, pick them up just before check-in, but I think that was in the days before airlines started charging for ski carriage. For some reason it was cheaper to rent from the UK than in resort, even with their additional overheads.

In either case one would need somewhere to do the binding set-up etc. ISTR there was a little booth at Gatwick, but renting somewhere within the airport at Geneva would, I'm sure, be cripplingly expensive.
ski holidays
I doubt those skiers who rent appreciate the type of skis that are bought by those skiers who buy their own skis. Toofy Grin
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
I do recall that someone used to do this out of Gatwick

Airport Skis. Mrs DJL’s boots still live in an “Airport Skis” branded purple boot bag in our cave. Must be 25+ years ago.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

Erm… he’s a ski storage guy. This ain’t for the genevoise. Brits or other Europeans wanting to avoid the extortionate EJ ski carriage rates who want a storage solution from GVA airport (obviously stored elsewhere) and the opportunity to rent some different skis from a premium rental fleet that may include skis owned by customers.

For example, I have a pair of Spoons, that are absolutely fabulous. They get no wear as I only ski them in pow conditions. They are almost 10 years old but will go for another 10 at least. Most people would never try these skis, but I would make them available for the right proposition.

Aim high. After all Warren Buffet bought Netjets….
snow conditions
@BobinCH, still struggling round the logistics ...
latest report
OP - your challenge is to think of a way to test this on a small scale, to see if it could work, and if there is interest. Is there a hotel or tour operator you could partner with?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy