Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Classic car admin France

Poster: A snowHead
Appreciate this is a ski forum but it's a great source of knowledge for other topics.
I'm driving down to Dordogne in July in a 1950s car and wondering if anyone knows if a couple of things are necessary:
1 Tax. Being a classic, it is exempt in the UK from tax, I can't see this being an issue but could anybody who knows otherwise please tell me.
2. MOT. Same as above, it is exempt in the UK but can imagine this more likely being a potential issue. If an MOT is not required in the UK, does this carry over to France as well, or is something required?

Merci buckets.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ryunis, As far as I can see you are meeting the national requirements so should be OK. I can find no requirement to carry a test certificate, just insurance, V5 and driving licence.

Perhaps pop over to a classic car forum, I have come across overseas rallies, the most memorable being the Ferrari Club of Halifax. The noise inside the ferry was fabulous when the did a 'Gentlemen, start your engines'.

It also seems that the French police also stop folks in classics so they can admire them!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haha I bet that was amazing. Worth the ticket fee alone.

Thank you. I've had a quick browse but typically inconclusive and of course any older posts may no longer be valid since the B word.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are driving over as a tourist then all is good. If you are importing it to france things are different.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, provided you meet UK requirements and are only visiting you're fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ryunis wrote:
1 Tax. Being a classic, it is exempt in the UK from tax,.
my understanding was that historic class vehicles must still be 'taxed' so you have to apply for the RFL each year but the cost is £0 .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, that sound must've been massively cool. Big smile to start my "engine" today!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ryunis wrote:

1 Tax. Being a classic, it is exempt in the UK from tax, I can't see this being an issue but could anybody who knows otherwise please tell me.
2. MOT. Same as above, it is exempt in the UK but can imagine this more likely being a potential issue. If an MOT is not required in the UK, does this carry over to France as well, or is something required?

I'm sure there are some other snowheads who are experts on driving untaxed and un MOTied vehicles around France, Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
Ryunis wrote:

I'm sure there are some other snowheads who are experts on driving untaxed and un MOTied vehicles around France, Very Happy

Try getting rid of an untaxed, uninsured UK vehicle in France.

It is entirely possible that leaving it unlocked in “la zone” is the easiest way!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:
I have come across overseas rallies, the most memorable being the Ferrari Club of Halifax. The noise inside the ferry was fabulous when the did a 'Gentlemen, start your engines'.

How many Ferrari owners does Halifax have?

Reminds me (off topic) of an occasion when I was a teenager, living in Cheltenham. One Saturday morning the family went into town and found all the parking on the main street was occupied by classic Bugattis! Apparently the annual international rally was being hosted by the British Bugatti Owners' Club, which owns the Prescott Hill Climb just north of Cheltenham, and the town laid on a municipal reception. (For those that know Cheltenham, the road full of Bugattis was the Promenade in front of the Municipal Offices). I didn't hear them start up though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@j b, A lot more than I thought! But a nicer bunch of folks would be hard to come by. There were a few nerves at Zeebrugge when one of the latest models had an episode of computer says no in Epernay. Strangely enough there were only 4 Ferrari dealerships in France with the appropriate laptop and one was in Epernay. He made it just before the ramp raised.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were once in the same carriage on Eurotunnel as several McLaren F1s, that was an experience.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On one of our European cycle tours we cycled, fully loaded with camping kit etc through Monaco/ Monte Carlo. I suspect we didn't find the best route for cycling as we ended up cycling through lots of underground tunnels. At one point we were cycling uphill on a single lane ramp leading to the tunnel exit, at about 8mph, with the sound of revving high performance engines behind us. Looking round, we were holding up a queue of 8 bright red Lamborghinis Eh oh!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Looking round, we were holding up a queue of 8 bright red Lamborghinis

Class!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Looking round, we were holding up a queue of 8 bright red Lamborghinis

Class!

He didn't say which red Lamborghinis he was holding up though!! wink

Remember, old Ferruccio made his name in the agricultural vehicle sector first! Laughing

latest report
It is, IMHO, the most beautiful Lamborghini ever made though not as elegant as a grey Massey Ferguson 35
latest report
@johnE, was that the classic "little grey Fergie"? I have fond memories of the one on my grandpa's farm in the fifties and sixties.
snow report
@j b, little grey Fergie is a TE20. MF35 was sort of its successor.
ski holidays
If it was grey, then it'd be a Fergie from before the Massey merger.
My first company car was an MF35. We also had 2 MF135's on the farm.
ski holidays
@luigi, On this occasion it was the shiny sports cars - though in Italy we did once park next to an enormous, equally shiny red, Lamborghini 4wd tractor - all the wheels were as tall as our car!
snow conditions
Funnily enough, we used to have a grey Fergie and still do have a 35x which we use regularly. If it breaks (which is rare), you can fix it.
The car I was enquiring about is a Frazer Nash Le Mans and we will be stopping off at its namesake on route to the Dordogne.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy