Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on La Thuile for Snowboarders

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all.
Does anyone have any experience of La Thuile, particularly from a relatively experienced snowboarders perspective?

We are looking at La Thuile as a resort where we can use Crystal and their childcare.
It ticks the boxes for me (intermediate skier) and our baby, but worried it might not be great for my partner.
We went to Passo Tonale this year, and although nice enough my partner would have preferred more of a challenge.
Finding mixed reviews via Google, so expert opinions welcome!

We are limited to finding more affordable resorts than pre-baby, and trusted childcare a must.
We have always used Crystal and been happy, but their childcare offering are now very limiting to the resorts we can pick from.
If anyone knows of other affordable companies, suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks Eh oh!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not a snowboarder, but I skied La Thuile in March and found there were a lot of flat sections on the pistes, which would be even more tedious on a snowboard.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not only are there flat sections but some uphill sections which it is easier to get up speed for on skis.. You would also have to do a long drag lift back if you skied over to la rosiere. I think there are better places for boarders Eg Flaine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you Snowymum and Denfinella.
Will check out Flaine.
Wish we could find affordable childcare options in Austria...that's our favourite destination.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KateP21, With Austria being your preferred destination have you looked at Kinderhotels ? Many of these available, one springs to mind - the Ellmauhof in Hinterglemm. A fantastic hotel for a family with all your child care included. Facilities for the kids and adults second to none.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I haven't looked at them Summerseat, mainly as we haven't been that confident making our own way to places.
We've only had 3 holidays, and always done the package options.
Will check it out. Thank you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Esprit aren’t cheap, but have been excellent for many years IMO, especially for 0-8yr olds and their parents. It’s their core market. La Thuile has a lot of flat sections. Any resort will work for a boarder if they have a lesson because the instructor knows where to find the suitably tasty bits of the resort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @KateP21,
Its a few years since I was there and things have will have surely changed.
There was only one really interesting steep bit and that was just under the gondola back down.

There was an extremally long poma lift back from the La Rosiere side.

There were a few boarders using kites to drag themselves up .. that could make it more interesting for you.
And there was a boarder cross piste on the French side too.

As a skier I did enjoy the area though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KateP21, We went over to La Thuile from La Rossiere a couple times last January and I cannot recall seeing a single snowboarder that side of the pass. There is probably a good reason for this. As a skier I am not really sure what makes a good resort for snowboarding but assume it is a resort with lots of moderately steep wide pistes that are bashed to death. In which case La Thuile is ideal. However, I also think they are not keen on flat bits. Though I cannot recall much in the way of flats in La Thuile others here say it will be a problem.

If your partner wants some challenges then La Thuile has some quite steep pistes but there are only a couple of these and they are quite short. I think we did them all in one afternoon. There is some more stuff over in La Rossiere to increase the mileage.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
La Thuile is good. There are plenty of steep runs on the Piccolo San Bernardino sector and on the runs back to the resort. The runs immediately around the main hub at Les Suches are pretty flat, although there is still some steeper stuff up above.

Good off-piste tree riding, can be some more decent off piste to explore as well if conditions are good. Gets (slightly) less hammered by the wind than La Ros.

The drag lift back from La Ros is trivial, not an issue at all.

Overall, certainly more challenge to be found than the main sector on Passo Tonale, although I did like the steeper stuff down from the glacier at PT and the adventurous off piste over that side is immense.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I am not really sure what makes a good resort for snowboarding but assume it is a resort with lots of moderately steep wide pistes that are bashed to death

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I met up with my pals there a few years ago, they all had about 6 weeks experience. It was a "hard snow" week but they all managed both La Thuile and La Rosiere (and return drag) just fine. There are a few flat spots, maybe 3 or 4, but only the one just over the back was annoying. It was the last week of January and very quiet, much busier in Ros.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

I am not really sure what makes a good resort for snowboarding but assume it is a resort with lots of moderately steep wide pistes that are bashed to death

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

... and a lot of nervous beginner skiers to use as slalom markers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We went twice, January both times and it was very cold compared to other resorts both times. Too cold to be sat in the middle of a piste just over the crest of a slope rolling up.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Add Ski Familie to Esprit as mentioned above. I've used them twice when my 2 were young and they were excellent and really helped me with my stress level as I was on my own with them....
ski holidays
Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't acknowledged individually.
Still doing our research based on your suggestions.
Would have been more straightforward if I was with a fellow skier. Laughing
ski holidays
My husband and I, both experienced snowboarders, went to La Thuille for a long weekend over Easter 4-5 years ago. I remember it being quite a lot of fun (there was lots of new snow) with no super annoying flat parts. There was enough steep pistes and off piste to keep us happy for the 4 days. We might have got a bit bored after a whole week, especially if the snow hadn't been great.

The drag back from La Rossiere is long (you can avoid the top one) so gets a bit tiring on a snowboard but there is nothing difficult about it (no big jerks, no 90 degree bends etc). However, I did "fall off" / jump off it once as there was a massive pile of kids who had come off in front of me in a huge heap... We did see quite a few kids fall off that drag, potentially because they either get tired or just stop paying attention as it is so long.

The food on the mountain on the La Thuille side was really good and its a nice village. It did get cold (even in March) once you were in the shade in the late afternoon so not the best place for a beer in the sun at the end of the day.
snow report
Hi Kate,
I agree with Steveo and Boardie, I think it’s quite good for boarding. I went about 6 years ago and as a average boarder, I didn’t find any areas where it’s too flat (no walking necessary) and I liked the blacks as they were very steep (steepest run in Italy?) but no moguls (which as a boarder I’m not too good on).

The drags to/back from La Ros are ok, although I didn’t really like it on that side as it was a bit busier and all the runs seemed the same (although there are some new runs since I was last there). Food as you could expect was better value in Italy.
snow conditions
From the posts I would suggest going somewhere else. Nothing in the comments inspire a great snowboard holiday there. I've been to many resorts in Europe as a boarder and if you're spending your money make sure its worth it. Better than work though!
latest report
Thanks @Dodge and @snow_promise

Do you know if the drag lift back to La Thuile is avoidable- even if it means a long walk (softer style board boots)?

We are going round in circles a bit, but even after all the comments and suggestions we keep coming back to this resort based on cost and we prefer hotel with childcare over the chalet with nanny set up.
The only real sticking point now is the worry over the drag lift. Jon has never mastered the technique despite many friends trying to help him over the years.
I'm debating getting him an instructor!
snow report
Totally get your point @Gainz. We are struggling with the childcare options really.
If that wasn't to be considered, there's definitely a lot more places we want to go.

We are stuck as some options are so expensive we'd rather spend the bug bucks on Canada...alas we can't afford that this year Sad
snow report
@KateP21, well, I suppose all drag lifts are technically avoidable by walking...

But more specifically - the drag lift isn't steep but it's quite long. So you'd need to walk a mile or so.
snow conditions
@denfinella, I think he'd rather walk 2 miles than attempt a drag Laughing
I'm glad I've got over my issues with them!

Good to know it's not steep. Some I've been on (and fallen off) have been quite a hike to get back to the rest of the class.
latest report
It really isn’t practical to walk the length of the drag in question. Your oh would have to stay on the Italian side if they want to avoid all drag lifts. Have you looked at snowbizz? They offer reasonably priced holidays in puy st Vincent with excellent childcare. Alternatively you could book esf childcare in many french resorts eg Val cenis, la rosiere or Montgenevre.
snow conditions
@snowymum, I've never heard of Snowbizz...off to Google now!

French resorts do seem to have a lot more childcare options. We might have to consider them more.
I've never been, but my partner has been to a fair few in his younger days.
snow report
The drag is ~1.6 km long (https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/espace-san-bernardo-la-rosierela-thuile/ski-lifts/l93168/). Even in snowboard boots that is going to take quite some time. If drag lifts are a complete no, then I think you should try to find somewhere else.

Or your other half can take it as motivation to learn / cope with drag lifts. I always used to avoid them but realised there is a lot of good (and usually quiet) terrain across many ski resorts that you can only access by drag lifts.
snow report
I guess as a snowboarder, relatively experienced too, I don't really understand the question.

Beginners can generally manage drags within an hour or two of starting to learn. Take some lessons, they'll get you going in no time.
latest report
Quote:

Jon has never mastered the technique despite many friends trying to help him over the years.

Perhaps abandon the board altogether and take up skiing. I know they are disapearing as fast as the snow at the moment, but the ability to use a drag lift opens up so many possibilities, Thinking about it, about 15 drag lifts have disappeard since I first went to Les Arcs. Now there are only two in the whole resort that are not serving beginner slopes and I have to sit on chair lifts and be sociable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only way to avoid the drag lift is not to ski in La Rosiere! If your looking for reasonable costed family holidays, we used this company for years when our kids were young

https://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy