Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

And that's a wrap. How did your season go?

Poster: A snowHead
Last season with out skiing and a funky weather pattern this year.
I'm interested in how everyone's season went. Where, When how many powder days/white out days any new kit. Share how your season went in a post
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My first season living near a ski area and I’ve loved it! I work a normal Mon-Fri, 9-5 job but managed to get out skiing 40 days. 34 days in the Grandvalira, 6 days in Vallnord. Got good value out of the Grandvalira season pass (€10 a day). Not so good value out of my Vallnord pass but I can use that to access the lifts during the mountain bike season too.

Only about 4 powder days but I did manage to ski off piste/freeride something I’ve not really done when just visiting an area for a holiday.

New kit - just a pair of gloves after leaving my old ones on the bus! Embarassed

I wear a Garmin watch and track all my ski days. I might have to work out how many KM I skied and how much vertical.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't finished yet - short trip to Switzerland from Monday! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mine hasn’t started yet. Only a few weeks to go, starting to get colder Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent
In Italy January and Austria March
Wall to wall sunshine though Jan a bit cold and March a bit warm at times
Options for off piste next to none but that's really not my thing
It was well worth the paper trails to get back on the snow though I did have misgivings pre Jan trip
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
18 days for us this year, not bad considering in December we were thinking we might not get any due to Omicron!

4 days in Baqueira Beret in December (which was actually the best snow of the season), a week in Avoriaz in Feb and another week or so travelling around the northwestern Alps in March, snow went rotten due to rainfall at the end of the trip so we cut it slightly short.

Lots of new kit too: 2 new jackets, new skis and probably will pick up some new goggles in the end of season sales as mine are showing their age.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not finished yet! Lifts close on 24th.
Been good so far. Season pass for the whole Allgäu region, which I used to the max, mainly in Oberstdorf / Kleinwalsertal. Some decent powder days. Some yellow snow days in KWT and also Arlberg (very weird).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pretty good, probs 65+ days alpine, 14 days rando ... new rucksack ...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another pretty disastrous one. Couldn't travel to France at Christmas and our March trip was interrupted by appendicitis. So instead of skiing for 2 weeks, I skied for 2 days, spent 4 days in hospital, then sat and looked at the mountains until we came home the following weekend. I've had to cancel my trip to VT this weekend, as I am not yet back to 100%. No new kit, I was going to buy a new helmet and goggles while I was out there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We had five weeks in st Gervais this time was really good at least managed to ski home there and at combloux which we couldn't In 2020 due to no snow, really loved it again, looking forward to the next time already
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not over yet!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A very different one

Still no Hokkaido. Hopefully heading out before the end of the month for some Spring corn and touring.
But 3 new areas for me

22 days

3 days in Wales
1 classic bluebird powder day but overall a poor winter for S Wales. I had 23 days last season.

5 days in Arinsal / Pal, Andorra
Beautiful spring sunshine & temperatures and winter corduroy the week before Christmas
Classic piste skiing

11 day trip to far east of Turkey
8 days skiing
4 powder days
Can't recommend Turkey enough

6 days in Avoriaz, France
2 powder days
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where in wales and id never heard of Turkey, what resorts?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pretty good in the end. Our Crans hotel decided to close 2 weeks before we were meant to get there due to lack of snow and the domain saying they might close.

We moved to Les Contamines to be close to Geneva and somewhere we knew, managed to get the same apartment we stayed in 5 years ago and we got hold of the instructor we had from then too. It snowed the week before we got there and after that was blue skies (if anything too hot, +20c in the valley). It was (except for a few queues on the first Sunday) was very quiet.

So all in all it worked out well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sadly, only one day in February at Sierra Nevada. a brilliant day on incredibly well prepared pistes but not much of the resort was open then due to lack of snow. Of course, although it is all sand brown there has been tons of snow since I came home. However, in mid sixties I felt if I had not skied this winter I never would again.

Looked at January but just too much hassle/coin spinning/mystic covid crystal ball gazing with covid rules and regs and testing etc.

Looked again end March but flight prices seemed to be silly/stupid - mainly out flights were cheap but as the planes were diverted to summer destinations there were less return flights for the people already out there and then the diary filled up at home.

Always next year.

Only kit item was suncream - needless to say I had left it in the apartment in my excitement to get skiing (just under 2 hours from the apartment to on the piste) and the sun at SN is unforgiving when it is out
ski holidays
Sarny wrote:
Where in wales and id never heard of Turkey, what resorts?

Brecon Beacons National Park

Ovit Mountain - snowmobile assisted skiing and ski touring
Palandoken
Sarikamis

TR here
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4893830&highlight=turkey#4893830
latest report
Two x 2 weeks in 3V, first in late Jan into Feb, second late Mar into April. 26 days skiing. Whilst there was something of a slush fest in the second fortnight, it was a great time where wifey had a few lightbulb moments and started smashing it lol!

Jan was in Bozel (inc 9 of the days with the daughter and her beau) with a daily drive up yo Le Praz. Parking would have been a sting, but the kids shared- it was about E12/day, underground right at the lift. The apartment was the best we've ever seen! Three bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and huge sofas around a giant tv we turned on about 5 times!

March was Brides, and the bubble was fine really, esp on the return when 25 mins of sitting was welcome. We were about 150m from the bubble, so easy there too. Again another great apartment.

On balance, we are thinking about trading the fab March sun for better (hopefully) snow next year; so looks like 3 weeks to a month in one go.

We've effectively only done 3V and GM over and over, so are nervously looking at Austria next year. I will be nagging others about where to start looking!
ski holidays
Well I got one this year (which was a bonus). Only one trip which is not enough. Muscle memory seemed pretty good and the boots still fit.
snow report
Still going but having a rest today. Probably hit 100 Days last week. Lot's of Dutch and Belgian Clients. New lifts in Ski Amade are a dream. Haven't managed as many tours as I'd have liked but there's still time. Enjoyed 3 weeks in Canada (But not Whistler, very over-rated unless it is a Powder Day). Probably have an Easter Ski in Obertauren later this week. New Powder Skis, loved the season use of my boots tailored by the boys at Solutions for Feet. Drank too much. Got job offer to lead MTB and E-Biking over the Summer.
ski holidays
Considering there'd been none since Jan 2020, it was an excellent season. A week in Oz en Oisans and a week in VT. No powder (not that I'm a big powder hound anyway) but lots of great piste skiing.
latest report
Quote:
We've effectively only done 3V and GM over and over, so are nervously looking at Austria next year
Why the nervousness
Charliegolf? I love skiing in France but Austria is fantastic too - excellent, snow-sure skiing and lovely villages with a fantastic ambience. Not to mention the local beers at €4.50 a pop wink You really will be spoiled for choice in terms of ski areas.
ski holidays
Started on Nov 5th in Saas Fee, Siberia ski touring end Nov, fab pow in Verbier in Jan, dry Feb/March racked up the ski touring vert and great finish with powder Janvril!
snow report
Quote:
I'm interested in how everyone's season went
Still going strong after last winter's nightmare Mother hucker Very Happy Scores on the doors to date:

- 41 mainly sunny days in Austria using our Tirol Snow Cards. 35 days on piste; 6 days ski touring between refuges. 6 or 7 resort powder days plus some powder turns on every day of our ski tour.

- 7 days ski touring at closed ski areas in Scotland (Cairngorm, Glencoe and Lecht). Some sunny days, some foggy days, some great snow, some boiler plate snow...No powder.

- 2 days ski touring at closed ski areas in the North Pennines (Weardale and Yad Moss). Thin cover, snow balling up on the skins on ascents.

- 3 days lift-served skiing at Weardale Ski Club. Snow varied between excellent (packed powder) and sticky.

- 1 day ski touring at a local disused quarry(!). Thin cover of fresh snow that we skied into packed powder.

TOTAL: 54 days on snow so far - with 7 more to come on Austrian glaciers in May and (fingers crossed) more ski touring in Scotland until June Smile
ski holidays
Seems churlish to complain, having skiing on one's doorstep & living in a resort and being able to ski every day, but I reckon I'm down 50% on powder days, 50% on ski-touring days & vertical and 50% down on XC.

Snow-wise it has been a truly dire season, that's if you're a powder/ski-touring fiend, there are whole sectors that we've not skied as there's not been adequate snow.

That said pistes have been kept really well, and I've probably ended up skiing more on the piste than I ever do. The OH even bought some piste skis and is currently testing the Carve system and she's thoroughly getting into that.

The XC trails in the valley just disappeared about six weeks ago so think I only did 8 or so sessions Sad

Did buy an E-Mtb to gain access to some or the more remote valleys but the snow was just as bad up those.

The season here is still not over but we're stuttering to an end and the weather does not look good for post-season touring either Sad

Also a bout of covid and a knackered knee did not help.

Mind you, yesterday with Ullr was a cracker Very Happy
ski holidays
Good question re season.

Magic Pass good again although we failed to get to Nax - grrrr.

Just got into France at Christmas with four hours to spare - many many forms and tests - Indifferent snow for two weeks, good time in Vercorin.

Half term - just getting used to filling many many forms. Indifferent snow apart from one day of fresh .. Grom had good time charging on board.

Week in March - indifferent snow so piste skiing.

Easter - snow in Calais, snow in Jura, snow in Valais - great late season slush busting and two days in fresh at Vercorin….huge fun
snow report
Edit to my post earlier. I forgot about the new Smith goggles I bought and today I got a new jacket. The old one was well and truly past it!
snow conditions
I lost 14 days of powder to Covid, as the place I was going at the start of the season had an outbreak which closed them down. I traded that for one powder day in Whistler (1st chair... but had to queue for 3 hours for it...) and 3 full powder days in Big White. The rest of those resort days were hardpack (is that "packed powder"?). After that early-season commercial shock, everyone in BC got their Covid act together, and it was pretty normal, except with FFP2 masks (or the US equivalent) and all that stuff. With which I have no problem.

I'm looking at Sölden for the end of the EU season.
Then there's Iceland, which has had a decent season so far and should have reasonable corn and will have excellent beer.
snow report
Good question re season.

Magic Pass good again although we failed to get to Nax - grrrr.

Just got into France at Christmas with four hours to spare - many many forms and tests - Indifferent snow for two weeks, good time in Vercorin.

Half term - just getting used to filling many many forms. Indifferent snow apart from one day of fresh .. Grom had good time charging on board.

Week in March - indifferent snow so piste skiing.

Easter - snow in Calais, snow in Jura, snow in Valais - great late season slush busting and two days in fresh at Vercorin….huge fun
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a great week in the Dollies, was looking forward to skiing in April for a week then EOSB for a week.
Daughter then had a belated graduation sprung on her which stopped me going last week. Then got COVID after visiting daughter so EOSB cancelled. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Nice week in the French Pyrenees- there was enough snow for most of the runs to be open in Font Romeu, les Angles and Espace c'Ambre d'Aze but certainly evidence of more wear and rain damage below 2000m than usual.
ski holidays
Quote:
The rest of those resort days were hardpack (is that "packed powder"?)
Not in Europe! Very Happy Packed powder = fresh or new(ish) snow that has been either groomed or skied on, and is just lovely to ski. (Think the perfect groomer.)

Hard pack is older snow that is well packed down but is still nice enough to ski. It is certainly not ice - although I have heard locals in BC, Colorado etc describing what would be regarded as perfectly decent hardpack in the Alps as 'kinda icy' wink
ski holidays
Great to have a ski season after last year. I managed -

2 single day tours on Cairngorm, first one in December was deep fresh powder but zero base, second in March was pouring rain but it cleared and we found some great skiing down to Loch Avon from the snow holes.

A week in Selva in January was brilliant, blue skies and great pistes. No queues.

Ischgl at the end of March was perfect for the first half of the week, then got cloudy and snowy. Still good fun although I managed to catch Covid and crack a rib on the last day.

Just serviced our skis today and put them away for the summer. Cycle season now!
snow report
Had a long standing booked trip to Pila in Jan with a group of friends for MrChuckles3 60th birthday bash in Jan & had a fantastic week away, with the joys of testing positive for covid on my return. The lack of snow didn’t dampen our skiing & we had glorious weather all week.

Returned in March (booked at Xmas in case Jan didn’t happen at a stupidly cheap price) & was having another glorious week with a smaller party of friends until a freak fall eventually meant repatriation & UK hospital for a fractured hip socket & sacrum. The only positive I can take from this trip are that it seemed I was the only one not to catch covid in the hotel or test positive on my return. 5 & a bit weeks later with at least another 7 weeks of recovery ahead & still trying to figure out if I want to ski again……….. Sad
snow report
Whole January and whole March in Baqueira Beret. Great skiing and L2 qualification done! Great season, can’t complain. Already missing the slopes and looking forward next winter
ski holidays
Made it out for two days in CH with a friend who lives there. To be honest, anything felt like a bonus after the last two years.
snow report
Just happy this year that we actually got to ski - having teenage kids it was a rollercoaster trying to understand the requirements for France.

6 days - real mix of conditions but we enjoyed everyone of them
snow report
5 days in Andorra before Christmas. Rushed out between travel restrictions and so as not to stress Daughter 1 with her upcoming GCSEs. Very good snow for so early in the season though nothing special by February standards, and as it didn’t snow again until nearly April I can’t complain! Daughter 1 clearly now better than me, Daughter 2 tried snowboarding and liked it apart from being slammed on her butt the last day. Wife got new Spyder Gore Tex jacket, I think the sixth jacket I bought her since I had mine (rolls eyes). I wrote a trip report somewhere here. For us the novelty was driving back nearly all in one day rather than two halves. Loooong but doable in future to gain a day skiing.
ski holidays
A first visit to the Three Valleys in mid March for a week. Bluebird days every day - great to be back in the mountains.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I'm interested in how everyone's season went
Still going strong after last winter's nightmare Mother hucker Very Happy

I know it's a dilemma. Easter is still only half finished. Some people go out the week AFTER Easter instead of before. The truly diehard will be skiing into May as usual.

So, to start the "season wrap-up" now is to some too early. On the other hand, many other had stop visiting snowhead after half term!

I don't know if my season is done yet. As I'm transitioning from working remote full time to "hybrid", I may still get away for short breaks once I find out what the "hybrid" pattern is like.
latest report
Yes agreed, it's too early for a end of season wrap up - and possibly a bit annoying for those that are out this week for their first week of the year! I think the 23rd is when most resorts start to call it a day.

That said, I've had a pretty good one - some juggling in Jan when France werent letting us in, but we still had a great time in Cervinia\Zermatt, and just.back from a great (but roasting!) family trip to VT last week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy