Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

40th Birthday Resort

Poster: A snowHead
So, next March I hit the big 40 and it seems a reasonable enough excuse to do a long weekend skiing somewhere!!

I'm also hoping to take the family in February for the first time, but here I'm after recommendations for a group of 6-8 guys around 35-40. Last few years I've done long weekends in Verbier (loved), Chamonix (good), Villars (nice but a bit too quiet).

Probably a Thursday to Sunday trip. Unfortunately this seems to rule out Innsbruck region as can't get the daily flights there from the North West.

Easiest flights are into Munich or Geneva. Ideally looking for a short enough transfer to be able to ski the afternoon we arrive (we did this in Verbier earlier in the year).

Standard is early intermediate through to fairly advanced. Off piste not really a requirement - blues and reds ideal.

We want some reasonable nightlife and would love to try one of the Austrian resorts (Ischgl), but the transfers are awkward if we cant get in and out of Innsbruck. Verbier was great this year (good mix of nightlife, short transfer, beautiful scenery), but would ideally try something different. Been thinking Morzine, Kitzbuhel or Soll (from Munich). Otherwise could just do one of Verbier or Chamonix again. Any suggestions much appreciated
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pippo9,
Courmayeur is quite nice for a short trip , really attractive town with lively bars small area reasonable for a long weekend or La Thuile is within easy distance.

How is Zurich from where you are to fly? Flims/Laax is a pretty decent ski area a short distance from the airport.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pippo9, Soll would be a good shout, has the apres and the scenery, and the transfer from Munich can be relatively short if you miss the peak periods or go by train to Worgl and then get a taxi. Lots of blues and reds, and the only downside is having to get a bus to the lift in the morning, though they are regular and efficient. We've tended to ski back - you can get as far as the main road on skis, then walk the short distance into town if you are based near the centre. Alternatively, https://gansleit.com/en/index.html gives easy access to the lifts and the town and is highly rated
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just had a look and Zurich works fine actually. Potentially that opens up some other options.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fly to Zurich and you can be in St Anton in a couple of hours. Transfer by coach (Arlberg Express), train or for a group your size book a private minibus. I think St Anton would be ideal for you, good skiing area and plenty drinking/partying opportunities. Ischgl would be great too but it's at least another hour away.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
St Anton, fly Swiss Air from Manchester then train from Zurich, job done! Best Apres in the Alps???

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pippo9, As above; try Zurich. Easy train to Austrian resorts e.g. St. Anton. Fly to Turin and Sauze d'Oulx is good for a lads trip. From Geneva for a weekend try La Clusaz.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zurich - St Anton. Book a private taxi and you’ll be there in a few hours. Skiing and apres is phenomenal
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

St Anton did appear to me to have good nightlife in terms of Apres ski on the piste. I suspect it is fairly good in the evenings too, but I was too tired from the skiing and spent a lot of time in the sauna, jacuzzi, pool trying to stay ready for the next day. (I was there for one weekend, while I waited for the bank to re-open so I could get my card back from their cash machine)

It does attract a lot of males, probably for the skiing rather than the apres. So a group of males will fit right in.

Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pippo9, Make it a week and go to Aspen ... because you're worth it. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1. St Anton.
2. Val d'Isere.
3. Meribel.
4. Zermatt.
5. Sauze d'Oulx.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Val d'Isere on the other hand has a good nightlife and apres ski on the piste. There seems to be a higher ratio of females to males in Val D'Isere, even compared to Tignes. Especially in the lift ticketing, and ticket checking employment and ski reps. This is probably why there are more females there as skiers/snowboarders, as there are more females employed there.

However, the time of year you go can affect what groups of people will be there. There tends to be certain weeks when Universities are taking up cheap rooms in the off periods. In the peak periods like New year and Xmas there will be more families, or party goers.

Not sure it is a great destination for a weekend due to the transfer times.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just been looking at the St Anton option from Zurich. Accommodation seems relatively slim pickings - I've seen that many Austrian resorts are hard to book for less than a full week. Anyone any tips here?

As a backup, which of the other resorts within easy reach of Zurich do people recommend? Engelberg? Klosters? Laax? Hows the nightlife in these places?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
verbier.... stay at the farinet..... as an older person myself.... no brainer
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

verbier.... stay at the farinet..... as an older person myself.... no brainer

+1
snow conditions
@Pippo9, avoid Anton - you’ll not get accommodation for a weekend, no chance - go to Verbier or Ischgl.
latest report
@Pippo9, Was in Klosters this year. Enjoyed the skiing but saw very little evidence of nightlife. Maybe Davos next door has some? In general, Switzerland not known for partying, however.
snow report
Thanks. I've narrowed it down to one of.

From Geneva:
Verbier (went last year - great).
Chamonix (went 2 years ago - pretty good).
Morzine (never been).

From Munich (never been to any of these):
Soll
Kitzbuhel
Mayrhofen
St Anton (but accommodation looks tricky)

Probably favouring Mayrhofen, Soll, Morzine in that order. Verbier was brilliant, but keen to try somewhere new and sample the famous Austrian apres ski.
snow report
Depending on the time of year, and the time of the week, I am fairly sure that people just turn up at St Anton and try to get accomodation that night from the Tourist information office. The tourist information office holds info on all last minute accomodation vacancies, and you can phone around from there. Most ski resorts do this too.

I can say for sure because I went into the the tourist information office in St Anton and observed this occurring (people turning up and asking for accomodation that night and getting it).

Of course, this method requires you to choose low season, when there might be a few vacancies. Alternatively, you could just phone up tourist information at these resorts.
ski holidays
Surprised nobody has suggested Saalbach Hinterglemm. Great skiing, great apres and nightlife, cheaper than St Anton. Not much further than Kitzbuhel from Munich. Have you looked at flights to Salzburg? If those work, that opens up a world of possibilities, although I would still recommend Saalbach.

Kitzbuhel is an odd choice compared to the rest. Would not be my choice.
ski holidays
@rg1, sshhhh wink
snow conditions
@Pippo9, try Haus Bachseite in St Anton. They do less than 7 day stays, as does Angelika and the hotel above Bobo's (sorry can't remember name but a quick Google and you'll find out). You'll need to email each place directly.
latest report
Why not go somewhere where there are at least some single women and you don’t need a Black Amex card to buy a beer. The Arlberg is not that place.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
Why not go somewhere where there are at least some single women and you don’t need a Black Amex card to buy a beer. The Arlberg is not that place.

Sounds like good advice. But any suggestions on where that place might be??
snow conditions
Soll, Saalbach, Verbier, or Ischgl.
snow conditions
I'd recommend changing your days to Wednesday to Saturday. You are really going to struggle otherwise to get accommodation by essentially going over two weeks (Saturday is changeover). Alternatively ski all day Saturday in resort, late train to Zurich or Munich and then fly back Sunday.
Ischgl is superb for the kind of group you describe. Fly to Zurich, train to Landeck and taxi pick-up from there.
If Munich is easier then I'd recommend Saalbach.
ski holidays
rg1 wrote:
Surprised nobody has suggested Saalbach Hinterglemm. Great skiing, great apres and nightlife, cheaper than St Anton. Not much further than Kitzbuhel from Munich. Have you looked at flights to Salzburg? If those work, that opens up a world of possibilities, although I would still recommend Saalbach.

hi, sorry i realise its been a while since you posted this but why would kitz be an odd choice? was considering it for a long weekend ! thanks
snow report
Pippo9 wrote:

From Geneva:
Morzine (never been).

Soll
Kitzbuhel
Mayrhofen

Probably favouring Mayrhofen, Soll, Morzine in that order. Verbier was brilliant, but keen to try somewhere new and sample the famous Austrian apres ski.

@pippo9 where did you eventually book? and did you actually get to go (due to covid)? your criteria are v similar to mine
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kj82 wrote:
rg1 wrote:

hi, sorry i realise its been a while since you posted this but why would kitz be an odd choice? was considering it for a long weekend ! thanks

I think Kitzbuhel would be a good choice personally.

There were lots of good options in that thread though.
latest report
I'd go for Kitz as well.
The Apres is just about right.
snow conditions
I'd recommend Sauze d'Oulx as well. Plenty of places to have fun. I spent my 40th there, the day before we flew back - very messy affair!
snow report
Zermatt is good,

but for a weekend Verbier is closer to the airport

Sauze d'Oulx is also not that close to the airport for a weekend visit

snow conditions
@Bigtipper, Sauze is only an hour from Turin airport. Doesn't get much closer than that.
latest report
@MorningGory, must be another reason then, probably not many local flights go to Turin.
snow report
Found this list (recently updated) which gives decent coverage for most.

You can currently fly directly to Turin from the following UK airports:

London Gatwick
London Heathrow
London Stansted
London Luton
Bristol
Birmingham
Manchester
Newcastle
Edinburgh
Glasgow International
ski holidays
@MorningGory, still wouldn't be at the top of my list, but I'm not 40 though, and pippo9 is no longer turning 40!
latest report
Quote:

Sauze d'Oulx is also not that close to the airport for a weekend visit

Turin?
snow conditions
@halfhand, See the last few posts Very Happy
snow report
For Ischgl, Ryanair fly into Memmingen, which is about two hours from ischgl by car. Usually rentals are quite cheap in Memmingen.
snow report
Kj82 wrote:
Pippo9 wrote:

From Geneva:
Morzine (never been).

Soll
Kitzbuhel
Mayrhofen

@pippo9 where did you eventually book? and did you actually get to go (due to covid)? your criteria are v similar to mine

In the end we went for Verbier again. It just works well. Easy transfer - up skiing on the afternoon of arrival. Decent nightlife. Good skiing - really liked the Savoleyres sector, not even made it to Siviez or beyond yet.

We have the same dilemma for the coming year. We’re restricted on flights as one of our group comes in from Dublin so it’s only Geneva or Munich realistically. I’m also wary of transfer times if arriving into Munich and having to get round the city in the mid morning. I guess Soll or Kitz could work.

I’m favouring Verbier again. A couple of the group have been to Morzine and said they like Verbier better. Some haven’t been to Morzine so want to try there.

But we’ve now had 2 great trips to Verbier. And I’ll probably get to Les Arcs at Easter (which will be a new area for me), so happy to go back to Verbier again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy