Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere and getting to the piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am coming to Sestriere for the last week of the season. I really struggle with my feet in ski boots, so normally like the idea of ski in\out to minimize walking around in them. But it seems Sestriere doesn't really offer that much and I am struggling to see from Google maps etc. how\where you get on and off of the piste? There seems to be a magic carpet from the front, but I don't fancy that much (more standing and a bit humiliating for a pro like me wink ) and from the webcam no one seems to be coming from the town side to get on it?! Where else do you need to get to to get a good lift (avoiding buttons for obvious reasons!)? Is there a bus instead, as if so perhaps finding accommodation on its route would be easier? Don't care about location to town (I'm happy to walk miles in normal boots) just want to be in a good place for skiing.

I am traveling with my two sons and a mate, so we are looking for self catering accommodation, with 3 rooms and 3\4 beds ideally.

Any idea of where we should be and what we can expect when we get there would be most helpful?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The one time that I skied Sestriere I was in Turin on business and got the train to Oulx and bus up to the resort. The ski shops next to the slopes all seemed setup for people doing this and provided storage for street shoes and a bag for a small fee. No idea how far you might have to walk from typical accommodation though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

avoiding buttons for obvious reasons!

More humiliation? wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Near the magic / Jolly carpet is the Cit Roc 8 man fast chair. That is the main access to the piste from the main bit of town. Crystal use Hotel du Col which is pretty close to that, particularly if it has a back entrance (not sure on that) have only been in for drinks.

The Olympic Village and Uappala hotels have back entrances out to the slopes a bit further down near the roundabout which leads to the gondola up to Mt Fraiteve or the 4 man chair up to Alpette. These two hotels are as near as you get to ski in ski out, although the Uappala involves flight of steps between the locker room and the road, to negotiate in ski boots!

do you know where you are staying yet or are you yet to book accom?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I stayed in hotel du col 4 year ago and that was pretty much ski in ski out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hotel Principi de Piemonte is ski in/out, slightly above town tho' and a bit of a walk back if you go out for dinner.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No, I haven't booked anywhere yet. I was hoping this would help me choose where to book...

Uappala hotel had some drone footage, so I coped a frame and annotated a bit with the landmarks mentioned. It seems Uappala and the Olympic Village have a cool snow-bridge, hence they can claim ski in (although presumably not out?).

Thanks for those suggestions, I will look in to them, but I fear I will end up going with a self-catering apartment to keep the costs down. With that in mind, I have seen some in the blue, green and yellow shaded areas in picture above. I assume the blue are will be a nightmare to walk to\from as it's so far and up a hill! The yellow area might be OK, but the green area (and where Hotel Du Col is) will be the best I am going to get?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've not seen anyone ski over that bridge, people walk over it to get to GFC bar. as above you walk up steps to get to Uappala locker room and up a glass covered tunnel into the Olympic - you can see both on google maps.

The Uappala is cheap and cheerful, and will do 3 and 4 person rooms which keeps the cost per head down. Correct with your colours
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never seen a "5-man" lift before. (Also tempted to ask whether women are allowed on it, but given the OP's user name, might be asking the wrong person...)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
denfinella wrote:
I've never seen a "5-man" lift before. (Also tempted to ask whether women are allowed on it, but given the OP's user name, might be asking the wrong person...)

Doh! Should say 8-man... Still no women allowed though! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy