Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy Reccomendation

Poster: A snowHead
I’m looking to plan a trip to ski in Italy for the holidays in December. We’re a ski anything crowd that looks to enjoy our time on & off the mountain. We’re hoping to find something that provides enough challenge skiing, good lunch options on the mountain and a town for the evening. Much of the focus has been on MdC, however I am concerned that the skiing will not be challenging enough (seems to tick all the other boxes).

Am I misinformed about the skiing? Are there any other places we should be thinking of?

Thanks for the help/advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val Gardena maybe?
Otherwise Kronplatz with Brunneck for times off the mountains
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mischwar, Cervinia for lunch with Zermatt for the challenging skiing? Or perhaps Courmayeur with Hellbronner (only if you are confident off piste). Monte Rosa ski area also has some great terrain (stay Champoluc or Gressoney?).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
December is the spanner in this one. It's really where is open and combined with the other 2 conditions.

Passo Tonale.... dull skiing and prob dull apres
Dollies...... only Arabba is challenging
Sauz ...... too dodgy for the snow

There's only really Cervinia and then you have to ski in Zermatt for the advanced stuff
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Thuile opens fairly early, and has some challenging runs. Some good off piste from what others have said. Apres is a bit dull though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
But what do you mean by "December", @mischwar? There's a big difference between mid December and Christmas/New Year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pam, you’re right. Was meaning Christmas/New Year
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most of the good options have been covered already...Arabba, Kronplatz or Val Gardena in the Dolomites, Cervinia, Monte Rosa, La Thuile, Courmayeur in the Aosta Valley, maybe Sauze or Sestriere in the Milky Way... but this is a good resource for comparing them...

https://www.bergfex.com/italien/

New Year is a really popular time to ski for Italians, as it is right across the Alps, so expect resorts to be busy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure what you mean by 'challenging', maybe you could name somewhere else that is as a guide? But fwiw I thought that Cortina had plenty to offer on the one day I skied there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mischwar, where you arriving from (just nosy).

Italy busy at New Year but not IME as bad as e.g. France. And typically only for a few days over NY itself.

Can't really recall Cortina was 20 years ago. Was definitely fun enough for a weekend ... Can't comment on rest of Dolomites. Courmayeur a bit small IMO for a week. MdC again, fine for a weekend. Done a couple of long weekends there, don't recall anything very special about the town but weren't in town very much (was there for work).

Can recommend Monterosa, although have to say that it's not PdS or 3Vs range of skiing. But assuming Punta Indren is open, you can certainly get as challenging as anyone will want. (Will need avvy kit, can be rented if not owned, but that then begs a question).

If Monterosa, Champoluc liveliest of the villages, although that doesn't mean necessarily very lively. But there is excellent food to be had on and off the mountain Twisted Evil (NB we have an apartment there so I have a certain bias).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've always enjoyed La Thuile, though never been as early as Christmas. It has some really great runs, good restaurants on piste (and not too expensive) and there is nightlife in the town around the Planibel area esp.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, we have just booked an apartment in Champoluc for Feb 2023, never been before so any recommendations much appreciated for good runs, lunch places, town restaurants for the evenings.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@trmacc, Good choice of place to stay is Champoluc even though at one side of Monte Rosa. Check out Le Bistrot for post skiing nibbles and drinks. On the mountain my favourite place for a light lunch is the Rascard Frantze just below Crest. If you have a car I would suggest an away day at either La Thuile or Courmayeur, but both can be a bit of a trek requiring early start. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimastaaah Thanks, will check those out. Got an apartment just 2 mins from the gondola so that will be nice and easy. We will have a car so might try a day in Courmayeur as never been there before but might struggle with our teens and too early a start! We are a bit beyond ski school now for the children do you happen to know if there are any teen ride courses or similar?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@trmacc, it's an hour and a half each way on a good day from Champoluc to Courmayeur, that's if you use the Autostrada which costs €20 each way too. La Thuile is even further.

They're nice places, but I can't imagine anyone will thank you for that trek when you've got a nice ski area on your doorstep.
ski holidays
Stuck record time but I've visited both in the past 5 winters twice each

They were that good

San Martino Di Castrozza, Dolomites
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas/San-Martino-di-Castrozza-Rolle-Pass

Madesimo, Lombardy
https://www.skiareavalchiavenna.it/en/

Both have more than enough challenging terrain on and off piste if there is sufficient coverage

Both have great on mountain restaurants at very reasonable price

6-day lift passes for High Season

San Martino 339 euros
Madesimo 216 euros

Both have walkable towns with plenty of bars, restaurants and shops
ski holidays
@luigi, ahh, not sure I can be bothered with that. Really looking forward to seeing what Champoluc has to offer.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
Stuck record time but I've visited both in the past 5 winters twice each

They were that good

San Martino Di Castrozza, Dolomites
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas/San-Martino-di-Castrozza-Rolle-Pass

Madesimo, Lombardy
https://www.skiareavalchiavenna.it/en/

Both have more than enough challenging terrain on and off piste if there is sufficient coverage

Both have great on mountain restaurants at very reasonable price

6-day lift passes for High Season

San Martino 339 euros
Madesimo 216 euros

Both have walkable towns with plenty of bars, restaurants and shops

Mike, do you know if Madesimo is reachable by road from Switzerland in winter?

Edit: found the answer - Julier pass is usually open in winter (closed in extreme conditions)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 17-05-22 20:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
we like MdC as it's a nice town with some pleasant night life (not a party town though), in a beautiful area and there's some lovely runs.

So it depends on your definition of challenging. There is virtually no off-piste and every piste is groomed every night so if you're looking for that kind of challenging it might not be the best choice. BUT it does have some genuinely steep blacks and like most places you'll find some moguls in the afternoons.
ski holidays
@trmacc,

Our favourite resto in town is probably the Sapin - steaks, tagliata, lovely lamb chops. Can't go wrong. We also like downstairs at the Bistrot. Slightly more left field is the Essential d'Andreone. Rather more fish based and not so alpine.

On the hill, we had a very good lunch in the Cré Forné in March. I'm not sure the Frantze was doing lunch last season? We ate a few times at the bottom of the Moos run into Stafal which was new. We quite often stop at the Albergo del Ponte - menu inside much wider than shown outside. Cheap and cheerful. And we went again this year to the restaurant Punta Jolanda which is pretty good.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy