Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles - Oakley Flight Deck vs Smith I/O Mag

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to upgrade my goggles from the cheap ones I've been using for 15 years. Want to get some nice ones this time, as I definitely noticed some deficiencies in the last pair. Was looking at the Smith I/O Mag or the Oakley Flight deck. The former seems quite hard to find for a decent price with the appropriate lenses, but I've found this set of Oaklely Flight Deck (XM version) for what seems like a good price (£120 with discounts and vouchers, cheapest I found the Smiths with a mid VLT lens is £170).

Guess my question is are the Smith's noticeably better than the Oakley's? And is this a good price for the Oakley's? Or am I better off waiting for a new 2023 range to come out? I've read the Oakley's are a better 1 lens goggle, but that the Smith's come with 2 lenses, and that both are excellent. I've never had goggles with changeable lenses before so not really sure if I'd bother changing them. Think once they're back in stock I could potentially get a storm suitable lens (60%+ VLT) for the price difference. Thanks in advance!

The Oakley's I found are using the prizm snow torch iridium lens (17% VLT Oakley labels them for sunny and cloudy), the Smiths are the Chromapop Sun Red (think also 17% VLT but labelled for bright sunshine).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Oakley FDs and my Daughter has the XM version.....and we are very happy with them. Big field of vision, very comfy and Prizm lenses that cover a wide variety of light conditions.

Smith Goggles are equally as good - and each brand has its following.

The Prizm Rose lens has no mirror coating, so is cheaper and will cope with most conditions.

Generally, Freeze Pro Shop and Rx Sport have discounted products - usually around 20%.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old Fartbag wrote:
I have the Oakley FDs and my Daughter has the XM version.....and we are very happy with them. Big field of vision, very comfy and Prizm lenses that cover a wide variety of light conditions.

The Prizm Rose lens has no mirror coating, so is cheaper and will cope with most conditions.

Generally, Freeze Pro Shop and Rx Sport have discounted products - usually around 20%.

Thanks I'll have a look! I am quite keen on the mirrored coating and didn't realise the Oakley's don't have it, can live out my astronaut fantasies. Can I ask what lenses you both went for?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 10-05-22 13:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@menatarms, you could always keep an eye out here for some bargains.

For example zorrac often sells a load that are unused

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4849817&highlight=#4849817
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smith Fanboy here. Vision quality is superb, bombproof build quality, they look great, lens change system(s) are a breeze, helmet compatibility is excellent ( admittedly I have a Smith helmet though ).

Check out Sportpursuit.com, they always seem to have Smith gear ( but some Oakley tat as well wink )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ster wrote:
@menatarms, you could always keep an eye out here for some bargains.

For example zorrac often sells a load that are unused

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4849817&highlight=#4849817

Cheers I've popped a message on asking.

Timberwolf wrote:
Smith Fanboy here. Vision quality is superb, bombproof build quality, they look great, lens change system(s) are a breeze, helmet compatibility is excellent ( admittedly I have a Smith helmet though ).

Check out Sportpursuit.com, they always seem to have Smith gear ( but some Oakley tat as well wink )

Sportpursuit is ridiculously addictive to scroll through! What lens do you use with your smiths? I'm able to find the chromapop sun lenses pretty cheap but given my main concern with my current lenses is poor clarity when skiing on shaded slopes (everything just looks flat), thought probably not ideal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
menatarms wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Thanks I'll have a look! I am quite keen on the mirrored coating and didn't realise the Oakley's don't have it, can live out my astronaut fantasies. Can I ask what lenses you both went for?

Prizm lenses come in both mirrored and unmirrored.

I have some A Frames 2.0 with Prizm Rose (for very snowy/flat light conditions - but deal with sunshine) and FDs with Prizm Torch (cover bright to overcast conditions). My Daughter has Prizm Sapphire in her XMs, which is like the Torch but with blue mirror. Prizm Jade is also similar but with Green Mirror.

Prizm lenses have low VLTs but seem to work in a wide variety of conditions. If looking for Versatility with a mirror lens - look at Torch/Sapphire/Jade.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
menatarms wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Prizm lenses come in both mirrored and unmirrored.

I have some A Frames 2.0 with Prizm Rose (for very snowy/flat light conditions - but deal with sunshine) and FDs with Prizm Torch (cover bright to overcast conditions). My Daughter has Prizm Sapphire in her XMs, which is like the Torch but with blue mirror. Prizm Jade is also similar but with Green Mirror.

Prizm lenses have low VLTs but seem to work in a wide variety of conditions. If looking for Versatility with a mirror lens - look at Torch/Sapphire/Jade.

Thanks for the info, I was looking at these prizm torch iridiums:

https://www.zalando.co.uk/oakley-flight-deck-xm-ski-goggles-oa344e02g-q14.html

Is there a way to know if they're mirrored? I find the photos can be quite misleading.

edit:
http://youtube.com/v/WnQLsLHLLFo

This handy video seems to indicate they are mirrored, may pull the trigger seems a pretty good price. Just need to check the XM's will be the right size for me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
menatarms wrote:

What lens do you use with your smiths? I'm able to find the chromapop sun lenses pretty cheap but given my main concern with my current lenses is poor clarity when skiing on shaded slopes (everything just looks flat), thought probably not ideal.

I have a few pairs out of the IO family. Primary lenses include everyday green mirror, sun platinum mirror, and sun red mirror, but my favourite is probably the red as it seems to work ( for me ) even when brightness levels are reduced. All pairs ( seems to be standard ) came with storm rose low light lens which is excellent, and works surprisingly well as brightness increases ! But, I did buy a yellow flash lens for one pair, but rarely use it ( totally unnecessary I know).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timberwolf wrote:
menatarms wrote:

What lens do you use with your smiths? I'm able to find the chromapop sun lenses pretty cheap but given my main concern with my current lenses is poor clarity when skiing on shaded slopes (everything just looks flat), thought probably not ideal.

I have a few pairs out of the IO family. Primary lenses include everyday green mirror, sun platinum mirror, and sun red mirror, but my favourite is probably the red as it seems to work ( for me ) even when brightness levels are reduced. All pairs ( seems to be standard ) came with storm rose low light lens which is excellent, and works surprisingly well as brightness increases ! But, I did buy a yellow flash lens for one pair, but rarely use it ( totally unnecessary I know).

How does the Sun Red fare on cloudier days or shaded slopes? The main thing I want is to be able to see the details of the slope clearly in those conditions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@menatarms, I have the Prizm Torch and they have a mirror coating. It is my "Go To" lens for all but the worst conditions, when the Prizm Rose comes out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Old Fartbag wrote:
@menatarms, I have the Prizm Torch and they have a mirror coating. It is my "Go To" lens for all but the worst conditions, when the Prizm Rose comes out.

Thanks, is the size difference between the normal FD and the FD XM significant? I'm 170cm and think I have a fairly average size head (never really thought about it tbh), not sure if the XM's will be too small or just right.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
menatarms wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Thanks, is the size difference between the normal FD and the FD XM significant? I'm 170cm and think I have a fairly average size head (never really thought about it tbh), not sure if the XM's will be too small or just right.

There is a noticeable difference in size. I went with the normal FDs - which are big, but fit - because they have an unparalleled field of vision...while still fitting my average sized head. Goggles usually make my vision feel a bit "hemmed in".....but the FDs are mostly free of that.

My Daughter has a small head - and while the XMs are still quite big, they fit her fine - and better than some smaller goggles.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
menatarms wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

There is a noticeable difference in size. I went with the normal FDs - which are big, but fit - because they have an unparalleled field of vision...while still fitting my average sized head. Goggles usually make my vision feel a bit "hemmed in".....but the FDs are mostly free of that.

My Daughter has a small head - and while the XMs are still quite big, they fit her fine - and better than some smaller goggles.

Ah ok. That large field of view does sound better. Will see if my local snow and rock has any in stock I can try on.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Measured my head circumference and it's 55cm, which apparently is on the small side lol, so maybe the Flight Deck XM's would be ideal.
snow report
Piggy backing on this thread - firstly I have Smith I/O mags and find them great - they came with two blue lenses for mixed light and for bright light - normally the mixed light one is good for most conditions apart from really sunny days in which case I switch over. I do have a Smith helmet too so compatibility is guaranteed and works flawlessly - no gap between mask and helmet and zero fog issues

I wouldn't mind buying an extra lens for days with totally flat light/whiteouts - any recommendations?
latest report
Whitters wrote:

I wouldn't mind buying an extra lens for days with totally flat light/whiteouts - any recommendations?

I have heard good reports of their Chromapop Storm Yellow lens - but have no first hand experience. Storm Rose might be another option.
snow conditions
Be careful to get the more obscure lens colours with your initial purchase, because it's very difficult, in my experience, to find them for sale separately. They do all the common ones. I think this is a stratergy to get you to buy more goggles.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, thanks for the quick response!
snow conditions
menatarms wrote:
How does the Sun Red fare on cloudier days or shaded slopes? The main thing I want is to be able to see the details of the slope clearly in those conditions.

I find that it works well in bright sunshine, broken sunshine, and even in cloudy conditions ( but white clouds you understand). I only really reach for the rose storm lens when the clouds are darker, or of course, snow and/or foggy conditions.
snow conditions
Something to bear in mind with mirror lenses - the coating scratches easily. My StA skis are head high. They inevitably get jostled in gondola loading areas and getting on/off the gondola, occasionally resulting in contact with the lens. Many scratches in just one season. Apart from that, very happy with the Oakley Flight Decks.
snow report
We've been Smith fans for 10 years, replaced our 9 year old IOs last year. (about 60 days out a year). Chromapops aren't a miracle but very easy on the eye (Sun Reds and Rose Flash mirror).

We're very happy. The Sun Red is very capable, seems darker than the old one, we used to have the "Blackout VLT 8% iirc) for very bright spring days, don't feel the need.

But we almost always have packs on with the "other" lens in case we get it wrong on the wx.

Re scratches? You definitely want one of these if they don't come in the box https://gogglesoc.com/
latest report
Went for Oakley Flight Decks XM in the Torch Iridium, got further reduced on zalando and another £10 off for first purchase, £104 seemed too good a deal to pass up. Will be looking for one of those goggle socks now! May try and get a storm suitable lens for them when they come back in stock.
snow report
menatarms wrote:
Went for Oakley Flight Decks XM in the Torch Iridium, got further reduced on zalando and another £10 off for first purchase, £104 seemed too good a deal to pass up. Will be looking for one of those goggle socks now! May try and get a storm suitable lens for them when they come back in stock.

Great Goggle. Great price - I think mine were £139.

The Prizm Torch will get you by in most conditions. The lenses to look at for Storm conditions are the Prizm Persimmon (not mirrored) and Prizm Hi Pink - the choice of these depends on whether you prefer Pink or Orange.

It might be better to keep an eye out for another pair on offer, with a storm lens - as lenses are so expensive. It doesn't have to be FD, as it won't be used that often. The Persimmon will be cheaper and a little better if the sun comes out.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
menatarms wrote:

The Prizm Torch will get you by in most conditions. The lenses to look at for Storm conditions are the Prizm Persimmon (not mirrored) and Prizm Hi Pink - the choice of these depends on whether you prefer Pink or Orange.

It might be better to keep an eye out for another pair on offer, with a storm lens - as lenses are so expensive. It doesn't have to be FD, as it won't be used that often. The Persimmon will be cheaper and a little better if the sun comes out.

Thanks good advice! Yes the lenses by themselves do seem a bit much. Very pleased with the price, was orginally looking at sungod vanguards as they seemed good bang for the buck, but this price is slightly cheaper for much better goggles.
ski holidays
@menatarms, that sounds like a decent deal.

These don't seem badly priced

https://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Lenses/Ski-Goggle-Lenses/Oakley-Ski-Goggle-Replacement-Lenses/#

but plenty of places you can get lenses and I'm sure you'll get another good deal if you keep an eye out.
latest report
ster wrote:
@menatarms, that sounds like a decent deal.

These don't seem badly priced

https://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Lenses/Ski-Goggle-Lenses/Oakley-Ski-Goggle-Replacement-Lenses/#

but plenty of places you can get lenses and I'm sure you'll get another good deal if you keep an eye out.

Thanks I'll keep an eye out for when they're back in stock. Yes I'm realising just how great the deals are when shopping for ski stuff in the off season. So much of my ski gear was purchased at the last minute before ski trips or paying through the nose at resort shops.

Will wait till they arrive so I can check the fit but if they do will probably buy this persimmon lens, £36 seems a decent price, £140 total for the FD's with 2 lenses seems pretty good.

https://www.igero.com/goggle-accessories-c152/snow-goggle-accessories-c154/snow-goggle-lenses-c153/oakley-flight-deck-xm-persimmon-lens-p5935

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 12-05-22 11:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
menatarms wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
menatarms wrote:

Thanks good advice! Yes the lenses by themselves do seem a bit much. Very pleased with the price, was orginally looking at sungod vanguards as they seemed good bang for the buck, but this price is slightly cheaper for much better goggles.

We have Sungods and I like them - although don’t have a point of comparison. Particularly good for the kids as they replace for free the strap when the kids destroy it so I only need to buy a new lense when the kids invariably scratch those to bits too (even with gogglesock!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:

We have Sungods and I like them - although don’t have a point of comparison. Particularly good for the kids as they replace for free the strap when the kids destroy it so I only need to buy a new lense when the kids invariably scratch those to bits too (even with gogglesock!)

That's great I wish more manufacturer's provided that kind of support. Slightly gutted to discover the monster faced goggle sock is sold out everywhere in the UK.
snow report
menatarms wrote:

Will wait till they arrive so I can check the fit but if they do will probably buy this persimmon lens, £36 seems a decent price, £140 total for the FD's with 2 lenses seems pretty good.

https://www.igero.com/goggle-accessories-c152/snow-goggle-accessories-c154/snow-goggle-lenses-c153/oakley-flight-deck-xm-persimmon-lens-p5935

Just make sure it's Prizm Persimmon, not Standard Persimmon.

Edit. Your linked lens is the latter. The Prizm version is £54.
https://www.igero.com/goggle-accessories-c152/snow-goggle-accessories-c154/snow-goggle-lenses-c153/repl-lens-flight-deck-xm-dual-vented-p38816
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
menatarms wrote:

https://www.igero.com/goggle-accessories-c152/snow-goggle-accessories-c154/snow-goggle-lenses-c153/repl-lens-flight-deck-xm-dual-vented-p38816

Oh thanks good catch, I didn't spot that.
snow conditions
menatarms wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
menatarms wrote:

FWIW. I have some old A Frames with Standard Persimmon and would take Prizm Torch over them in poor conditions. I believe the Prizm Technology makes a difference.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
menatarms wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
menatarms wrote:

FWIW. I have some old A Frames with Standard Persimmon and would take Prizm Torch over them in poor conditions. I believe the Prizm Technology makes a difference.

Cheers will keep that in mind.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:

Yeah I skied the same one day on the EOSB (A frame/old Persimmon). Felt like a step backwards after recent experience with Smith Chromapop and Dragon Lumalens. A large part of me wants to think that the new branding is smoke and mirrored lenses but experience tells me it isn't (unless I'm a long way down the rabbithole)
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
....unless I'm a long way down the rabbithole)

When you get to the very bottom of the Rabbit Hole, you will find me there floundering about! Toofy Grin
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:

Yeah I skied the same one day on the EOSB (A frame/old Persimmon). Felt like a step backwards after recent experience with Smith Chromapop and Dragon Lumalens. A large part of me wants to think that the new branding is smoke and mirrored lenses but experience tells me it isn't (unless I'm a long way down the rabbithole)

Definitely a measurable change in performance, although generally advertising claims just so much that it's difficult to decipher.

Older lens are usually dyed in the lens material, giving colour absorption (yellow lens absorbs blue light) as example, but with material limitations making them good although leaving room for pure technical improvements.
Chromapop (that marketing speak in full flow, Chroma meaning colour, and pop presumably visual intensity?) is a different method in that all modulation is produced by a coating on the lens front.
Advantage of these coating (more common as unit cost came down) is that they are so thin in comparison to previous materials that they simply disperse the light going to the eyeball much less. They don't absorb but reflect the opposite colour which doesn't enter the lens material either.

Tangible benefits are very concise colour control, much reduced dispersal on transmitted light, high accutance (ability to pass fine details through undisturbed) increased absolute contrast (improvement in separation of light levels from adjacent subject matter) all of which deliver a "purer" image to the eyeball, from which point it's down to you which part of the scenery you crash into Very Happy

As mentioned further up thread, probably more vulnerable to scratching through the coating though, so need to consider reasonable care in avoiding this.
snow report
@ski3, I really need to spend some time in Cat 3 and Cat 2 Chromapop lenses to see whether the CP technology alone is sufficient for vision enhancement regardless of VLT- given that I struggle with the "who put the lights out" factor everytime a cloud blows over I've not yet had the bottle to try a "Sun" lens.
snow conditions
@ski3, I really need to spend some time in Cat 3 and Cat 2 Chromapop lenses to see whether the CP technology alone is sufficient for vision enhancement regardless of VLT- given that I struggle with the "who put the lights out" factor everytime a cloud blows over I've not yet had the bottle to try a "Sun" lens.

What do Cat 2 and 3 mean?
ski holidays
This sums it up

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/choosing-sunglasses-uv-lvt-and-lens-categories-explained-i326

And this is a handy lenses guide by brand

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/buying-guides/goggle-lens-buying-guide#OakleyLenses
latest report
menatarms wrote:

What do Cat 2 and 3 mean?

https://www.sunglassesforsport.com/2017/12/01/lens-categories/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy