Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Access to Grand Massif for a day trip

Poster: A snowHead
Now 21/22 is over thoughts turn to 22/23. We have a place in Morzine and spend a good few weeks there in the season, and I was thinking about making use of the "skidecouverte" system where you can get three days in other areas on your PdS season pass. Grand Massif is the obvious one to start with as it's well under an hour's drive - but was wondering where GM experts would recommend accessing the area from. Morillon 700 is the closest (I guess) but is it worth driving up to 1100? Or is there any benefit heading over to Les Carroz?

I guess we'll only go if the weather's decent as we'd want to cover as much of the area as we can. I skied in Flaine a couple of weeks many years ago but don't think we really went anywhere other than the Flaine bowl (and that delightful tow in the Gers bowl - shudder...).

So - any top tips on access and where to go to see the best of the area in a day!

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On a powder day Gers is my favourite ever place to ski, long tow notwithstanding
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rungsp wrote:
On a powder day Gers is my favourite ever place to ski, long tow notwithstanding

We had a pretty epic week as I remember - snow every night so we spent a lot of time in there!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morillon should be easiest and 700 (village centre) is fine. Telecabine from there to 1100 brings you to same place and getting on Sairon chair for onward altitude (if staying the week it's 1100 I'd stay at, but a day makes no difference) depending on snow level you can ski back down to 700 or it's telecabine downward, no real impediment though.

From there only 3 pretty quick chair to Gers area also, whether you go Sairon, Grom (LC Area) ski to Les Molliets and then to Tete d Saix, or head towards Samöens to do likewise (excuse spelling Very Happy ) broadly the same. Much faster skiing across than driving to LC or further, and you'll be skiing too Very Happy

Car parks have always been no charge at Samoëns, Morillon and LC with really easy access to lift stations, so no concern there whichever you want. Guessing to make the most of a day you'd be fairly early on the lift anyway.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If the roads are clear the remote Combe de Vernant car park gives you access to the middle of the GM.

Otherwise I'd just head to Samoens main car park and take the gondola up. After skiing you can then hop in the car a few mins and visit the old town.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @ski3 and @HilbertSpace.

Is there a benefit of going up from Samoens or Morillon particularly? Morillon is a bit closer to Taninges.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No particular advantage either way really, both routes you make your way through Tête d Saix to go onward towards Flaine etc.

Samöens definitely no ski back down, can be que for telecabine at day's end because of this.

Morillon, is on the way to Samöens (closer to you as mentioned) and just as convenient to park there and telecabine up.

Free choice really, some good cafe etc at Morillon on the way back down if you want that, I'd rather ski down into Morillon at the end of day generally as it's a nice run from Tête d Saix along the ridge, turn right into Morillon and cruise all the way back to 1100. Extra 500mtrs altitude stashed in naturally, it's a good sector to ski down through.

Samöens nice to stretch your legs around after a day on the slopes (as mentioned above) but very simple to get there from Morillon anyway.

I really like this valley Very Happy no real downside to either choice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers @ski3 - looks like Morillon is a good option.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's the best way to get into the Gers bowl? I remember having to ski along the ridge from above Flaine - is there a way in from Tete des Saix or Grand Vans?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andy from embsay, Veret drag lift (if it is running) on the left handside of tormaline (sp?) and then straight on over the back. A few cliff bands you have to watch out for, don't follow tracks as its a fave with those parachute skiers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We spent 3 days in Morillon early April with the idea of skiing Flaine. It rained all the time plus very windy so the upper lifts were all off so we got as far as Les Carroz one day and had gondola up to the snow line plus 2 lifts in Morillon the next day. We had our worst ever skiing abroad in over 30 years and 120 trips! Best run was a 5km green that snaked down the slush. Only go when there is good snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morillon is too low to be a good choice for April - and it was particularly warm this year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mogulski, thanks - as we get 3 days in other areas (plus 4 in Verbier) on our passes and are fortunate enough to be out in France for 30-40 days over the season we'll certainly choose our day trip days carefully. So this will be an out of school hols, decent weather, decent snow trip - otherwise we'll stay in PdS and go to the pub!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mogulski, I'm not sure you can attribute rain and wind to the GM. We had a few days of vile weather in Chamonix in April as well ... but who skis in the rain Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@mogulski, I'm not sure you can attribute rain and wind to the GM. We had a few days of vile weather in Chamonix in April as well ... but who skis in the rain Puzzled

I've skied in plenty of places around the world and almost all of them can be dogshit in the wrong weather. A perfect pow storm can get rained on at the end resulting in lethal deathcrust for days after, a hill can go from brown dirt in torrential rain to 3 ft deep in pow overnight, wind can scour and polish good spots and deposit fluffy goodness in the most unlikely places and of course lifts can can closed out for days while you stand waiting for an opening/any opening. Just part of the 50+ things I hate about you that make the good days so good.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

That's what pubs are for, innit?
ski holidays
@mogulski, of course wind and rain isn't exclusive to the Grand Massif, but if you go to somewhere 1) that has a very low base height, 2) is on the exposed NW fringe of the Alps 3) relies on an exposed connection to reach the higher slopes 4) ...in April, then the risk is will be much higher than many other resorts.

(edited to add intended recipient)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-05-22 1:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@denfinella, yeah, but it's not just the GM innit? The subtext seemed to be, "we went to the Grand Massif and it rained, don't go to the Grand Massif cos it rains". If it's raining in Morillon, it's probably raining in Morzine, Les Gets, - if it's the dates I'm thinking of, probably up in Avoriaz as well (looked to have gone at least as high as 2,000-2,200 judging by the snow afterwards around Chamonix).

@andy from embsay, exactly
latest report
denfinella wrote:
Of course wind and rain isn't exclusive to the Grand Massif, but if you go to somewhere 1) that has a very low base height, 2) is on the exposed NW fringe of the Alps 3) relies on an exposed connection to reach the higher slopes 4) ...in April, then the risk is will be much higher than many other resorts.

But the OP is based Morzine 100 mtrs lower than Morillon entry point, surely they'd know enough about the prevailing local weather conditions and snow depths coming from just around the corner.

If they'd asked about a high altitude alternative I could see why the response would be different, but as it's a trip to a very specific location (and using one day outbound allocation from season pass) then the point is moot as far as I can see. It's either ski GM for that pass allocation or not, they aren't intending to live there. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Has anyone actually done a "skidecouverte" day?

I believe you have to turn up at a ticket desk with your season pass and proof of purchase. Is it quick and easy to arrange? And how do they keep track of your used days?

As I understand it you get first day free at each resort/area, plus half price for a second day. Although Chamonix is only half price for the first day. No idea how they keep track of it all. Puzzled
snow conditions
@HilbertSpace, a few people on the Morzine FB page used it this season.

According to the t&cs Cham is a free day, but the “Mont Blanc Unlimited” is €50. But can’t see why you’d want that for one day in the Chamonix valley?

https://www.skidecouverte.com/conditions-generales-dutilisation-des-ski-decouverte/
snow conditions
@HilbertSpace, In previous years you got a booklet of 3 vouchers, and they'd tear off a voucher & strike thru the areas you'd used. We always used 2 never the 3rd Confused

Oddly we didn't get any in Chamonix this year. I kept meaning to query, but we probs wouldn't have used anyway.
snow report
@under a new name, PdS passes you get QR codes for 4 days in Verbier and Alestch(?). But differey system for Ski Decouverte - turn up with your pass and proof of purchase.
latest report
@andy from embsay, can't recall how Verbier worked this year, Previously we got vouchers or maybe something to stamp? wasn't paying a lot of attention. Maybe that's why we didn't get vouchers this year Happy
snow report
It was QR codes on the confirmation email. Gives you a summer day too - looks like it was 5 days in Verbier.

snow report
@andy from embsay, I believe “Mont Blanc Unlimited” is required for top of Grand Montets and Aiguille du Midi.

@under a new name, I didn't get any booklet when I bought GM season passes (then again I didn't get anything -- just reloaded some old passes and received confirmation email).
ski holidays
Ah, I see @HilbertSpace. Though you can (certainly could) buy a separate ticket for the top cablecar at Argentiere and I don’t think I’d use one of my 3 days to go up the Midi!
ski holidays
@under a new name, I agree with you! I was really just suggesting to mogulski, politely, that if you choose somewhere like Morillon in April, experiencing rain / poor snow is quite likely. (And Morzine would indeed have many of the same issues.)

@ski3, sorry, I wasn't replying to the OP, it was in response to mogulski.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HilbertSpace, "top" * of Grands Montets still out of service, no real horizon on its replacement.

* Well, technically, the bottom.
latest report
@denfinella, I wasn't getting at you, honest!
snow report
@under a new name, Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy