Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Ski break

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about taking my Daughter to Switzerland to Ski in early December and wondered if Grindelwald would be a good choice, I suspect that it would be one to one lessons only not group and woild I be best to go through a Company or book things seperately.

Thanks so much.
Ben
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grindelwald is not an early December resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK

Any suggestions?

Verbier be better?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go in January when there is a better chance of snow?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was planning to go early and have no crowds our queues

Any suggestions?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Second full week in January is always good in Switzerland for minimal crowd and usually more snow. Very good time to go as all ski areas are definitely open all lifts then too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fab.

Wherter would you go with a a small Child?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would the small child be having ski lessons? How old?

Mid January gives you far more choice than early December. More resorts open, more snow, more going on, but not crowded.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You've given yourself a potentially insoluble dilemma with those dates - for guaranteed early December skiing you're going to have to go high, but the high slopes are not ideal for a young beginner, both from their difficulty level and the access to them. Wracking my brains a bit but I really can't think of any with beginner slopes which would be snow-sure at that time of year.

Recent seasons have seen early snow, with pre-Christmas skiing in a number of areas, but even then it's mostly not the beginner areas that tend to be open. When we lived in Engelberg, for example, we'd have skiing on the (3000m high) glacier from mid-October, the main North-facing slopes open late November and the higher beginner area at 1200m usually open just before Christmas. But the main village-level nursery area was often later than that.

So as others have suggested, I'd go for mid-January instead. Absolutely the best chance of good snow, it's still very much low season, with lower prices and fewer skiers, crowds very much not an issue. Covid skewed things here in Morgins for the past couple of seasons, with more than normal occupancy through January but the combination of short cold days and lack of school holidays still kept the numbers much lower than February and March. Some of my best ski days are usually to be found at this time snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatt will run kids group lessons early December.

Quick Google search:

https://www.checkyeti.com/en/d/404/2391
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BenGoldstrom, Zermatt would be my suggestion.It's not a bargain, but there would be plenty of skiing to do on a short break and at that time of year you should be able to ski over on the Cervinia side too. Come to think of it-you could also look at Cervinia for better value. For about 10 years (till we splurged on our own place) Mr P and I used to head to Zermatt in very late Nov for a 2-3 night trip on a ski testing package booked via the tourist office which was great fun (a room full of new season skis from the major manufacturers up at 2700m which you could chose yourself and swap as and when you wanted). To the best of my recollection there were probably just 2 years when the links to Cervinia weren't open through lack of snow, though sometimes the weather could call a halt to our activities.
Not sure what packages are available then, but it might be worth waiting before taking the plunge. I suppose that would also cover Val Thorens, which usually tries to open at the end of November.
One thing to bear in mind, if you have a "small child" is how cold it can be at that time of year. In that sense a high resort with beginner slopes close to accommodation and places to warm up, such as Val T might be a better and less faffy option.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BenGoldstrom wrote:
Was planning to go early and have no crowds our queues

Any suggestions?

Second, third week of January is usually very quite. Avoid Xmas and NY crowds and Jan is the quitest month outside those key periods. 7-14 Jan would normally be quiet in most places.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Corvara in the Dolomites would be my choice. Their snow making is excellent which will protect you against poor snow which is common at this time of year unless you go very high. A previous poster rightly points out that altitude doesn't necessarily mean beginner friendly and altitude at this time of year could mean awful conditions. The Dolomitisuperski area opens on the 3rd December 2022. PM me if you want any ideas on accommodation/transfers/etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Top man, thank you Sir
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perty wrote:
@BenGoldstrom, Zermatt would be my suggestion.It's not a bargain, but there would be plenty of skiing to do on a short break and at that time of year you should be able to ski over on the Cervinia side too. Come to think of it-you could also look at Cervinia for better value. For about 10 years (till we splurged on our own place) Mr P and I used to head to Zermatt in very late Nov for a 2-3 night trip on a ski testing package booked via the tourist office which was great fun (a room full of new season skis from the major manufacturers up at 2700m which you could chose yourself and swap as and when you wanted). To the best of my recollection there were probably just 2 years when the links to Cervinia weren't open through lack of snow, though sometimes the weather could call a halt to our activities.
Not sure what packages are available then, but it might be worth waiting before taking the plunge. I suppose that would also cover Val Thorens, which usually tries to open at the end of November.
One thing to bear in mind, if you have a "small child" is how cold it can be at that time of year. In that sense a high resort with beginner slopes close to accommodation and places to warm up, such as Val T might be a better and less faffy option.

i think cervinia would be a better bet for beginners.
latest report
I wouldn't go high in Jan with a young un in tow. Think cold, windy and white out.
You don't need to book in advance for Jan. Wait till closer the time. Much better if you can stay lower and ski below the tree line.
snow report
How old is your daughter, @BenGoldstrom? We always used to go skiing in early January because it was the cheapest - and we had several holidays in La Rosiere. The kids all survived and became keen skiers.
snow report
She is eight and has done Blues and reds
snow conditions
@BenGoldstrom, you gona pull her out of school?
ski holidays
Yes for five days
latest report
@BenGoldstrom, don't blame you, what's school say about it?
latest report
Private School they will be cool
snow report
Guys thanks so much for the awsome feedback
snow report
Just a thought, if you are fine pulling her out of school, why not wait till March and go when the weather is much better. Loads more choice of resorts, good snow and long warm days, simples...Would still choose Corvara if it were me
ski holidays
Would second Cervinia - we've been a couple of times at Christmas (I think as early as 19 Dec), first time in 2015 I think which was a really poor year I think for the early season but the snow making meant that all the runs, except for 2 or 3, were open - think my DD was 6yrs the first yr and it was perfect for her - long cruisey blues back to the resort and not-too-difficult reds. We went over to Zermatt too (although coming back down at the very top was cold for her).
snow report
Cervinia runs the risk of high winds in Dec-Jan. Not pleasant and not unusual to close lifts. Early snow and child friendly I'd nominate Obertauren but it's in Austria
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy