Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice re mid-May

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Having been unable to get any time to ski since the early season, I'm thinking about taking a couple of days around 10 May. Obviously this is past the season at most resorts, but I'm wondering if there are any good and reliable options. I'm aware of Hintertux (and would appreciate any recent insights as to the conditions and if it's likely to be viable mid-May). Any other places to consider? I'm fairly relaxed about location, basically anywhere in Europe, but ideally not too far from an airport. Looking for good intermediate terrain, nothing too wild. Thank you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bx1000, I have had fresh snow at the end of May at Hintertux on two visits.

Some hotels might be closed for staff/owner holidays in May.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not mid-May but Snoworks have this running.

https://clicks.snoworks.com/view_online/view_online.php?token2=JwS7Vvz_zblvscbTEf9YUZU7b5apKEEXmnGctQy_NpDHDV7qZNJvSvCEf7SHXBGJt0Lusy_B8Du_IFJeQ7dBvA&fbclid=IwAR3Qg71uzRqx3zSv3ZfOFi15l2pCWHMw8ACg_YG9Y1lIVfqVqV0OQ05f3z4

The linked article does mention local hotels so may be useful.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was doing some research on this. I ended up getting to Verbier at the end of last week before they closed. But other options I found that are still good in May are Engelberg from Zurich, or Austrian glaciers - Kaprun, Stubai or Hintertux. There's less flights than in winter but if you can find flights that work for you into Salzburg or Innsbruck then those glaciers would be pretty easy. If not you could get to them from Munich in approx 2.5 hours.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Riks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Or Austrian glaciers - Kaprun, Stubai or Hintertux
Plus Kaunertal, Pitztal and Sölden glaciers too. Hintertux and Stubai will be most extensive but the others are all good too and would be great for 2 or 3 days.

The best airport would be Innsbruck for Stubai - only about 45-60 mins away by bus. Otherwise, Hintertux and Stubai are about 2.5hrs by hire car from Munich Airport. Or Kaprun is only about 80 mins from Salzburg Airport.

Pitztal, Sölden and Kaunertal are easily reachable from Innsbruck but are a bit more out of the way from Munich or Salzburg. However, Memmingen Airport is within striking distance of those three glaciers.

All of the glaciers will be more than 'viable' in mid May - I reckon you'll be more than impressed and be converted to skiing at that time of year Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Engelberg
Had excellent skiing and fresh snow in mid-May
One of my best European powder days on 15 May

+1 for Stubai
Skied it in the first week in June
Great conditions for 3hrs, sandy not wet slush for the last hour
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks very much for the great information, most useful.

It sounds like Hintertux, Stubai and Kaprun are all very solid choices for me. Innsbruck flights don’t work for me, but I could book a flight and car at Munich and then make a decision as to where to ski closer to the day.

The one I hadn’t considered was Engelberg/Titlis. The convenience of getting there from ZRH is a big plus, and I have to be in Zurich at some point soon so could combine the journey. What gives me pause is that it appears that all the easier pistes are closed, only the red (and black) pistes at the summit of Titlis are open, and I know the resort has a reputation for more difficult terrain. I’m a solid intermediate but my knees are not what they were, especially if the late season conditions might be variable. Are the pistes at Title challenging? Or are they “easy reds”? Thank you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is there anywhere at all still open in the early part of May which isn't a glacier? Probably not I know, but asking just in case...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nick M, as @TheGeneralist, suggested, Riksgransen in Northern Sweden. Not just open, but it's had over a metre of powder in the last few days. It's planning to stay open until June sometime.

However, the ski lifts make Scottish resorts look large and modern...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm in the process of going to Arapahoe-Basin in Colorado mid-May. You and I are probably dealing with the same itch... "just one more time...!"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Is there anywhere at all still open in the early part of May which isn't a glacier? Probably not I know, but asking just in case...
Yes! Tignes and Val Thorens are both open until 8th May 2022 Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowdave wrote:

However, the ski lifts make Scottish resorts look large and modern...

Yep. Was impressed to see that the piste Map covered two nice hills.
Less impressed when I realised the second one didn't actually have any lifts!

But regardless, go there, it's great.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy