Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter - Resort Suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I met up with some friends over the early May bank holiday weekend...and seem to have ended up organizing an Easter 2023 ski trip for between 9/12 people - but want to go somewhere I haven't been before.

1. The groups going to mainly be beginners/early intermediates, half of them U10 so needs to be beginner friendly/accomodation convienient for the lifts (doesn't need to be ski in/out and I'd say a 10-15min morning child drag is acceptable but no to buses).
2. We'll have at least 1 non-slider so ideally big enough a resort they have somewhere to get out the accomodation (if they want - I can see at least one of them having zero objections to only changing out of their PJs when it's time to go and collect the children from ski school) and ideally not have them thinking they are in a 1950s East German people's housing project when they do.
3. Apres ski isn't likely to be a big thing.
4. Accomodation would be self catering and ideally a chalet rather than an apartment.
5. A sensible drive from the UK.
6. Pricewise ideally sub £5k for accomodation but not fixed - just not the £11k end Smile
7. A reasonable bet for early April skiing.

But where-ever it is it SHOULDN'T be:
- Portes du Soleil
- Alpe d'Huez
- Tignes/Val d'Isere
As I've either done them before or will already be doing them in the 22/23 season and want something to amuse me too.

So, what would you throw on the table...?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Contamines
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grimentz, north-ish facing, gondola straight up to snow for lessons etc, great village and mountain valley setting, feels very different to your exclusion choices.

Nendaz, larger village, own slopes for beginner, north facing, good choice of places to stay. Amused that with younger ski schools here they sometimes wear a triangle cloth on their back that the children extend their arms in order to give a kite effect and slow down, like a flock of little bats whizzing down the slopes Very Happy

Both pretty snow sure and with good altitude slopes with easy access. Also fairly close drive from UK.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
HilbertSpace wrote:
Les Contamines

I'd say fine for 1 3, 4, 6 & 7 (we've just been there in April)

I dont know about 5.

But not sure its great for 2

There is accomodation at the bottom of the gondola so as to satisfy "no buses". But from there its a gondola up and if they are beginners/early interms I dont see the piste down to the bottom would be a great option. And I doubt the non-skier would be heading up to bring them down the gondola? They would need a lift pass (I am not sure if there is a cheap ped pass).

Also for the non-skier(s), theres not much to do at that accomodation, its a walk/bus to the small town. Not sure there's much for them their once they get there either. There is a pool & ice rink in St Gervais but thats a 15 min drive.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ster, I've not actually been to Les Contaimines but I've driven many times to nearby resorts and it would tick box 5. An easier drive than somewhere like Les Arcs or Sainte-Foy, for example.

Re 2, Les Contaimines does look quite pretty in the pictures, and it certainly doesn't look like a "1950s East German housing project". Unlike Flaine, which definitely does (which is a shame as Flaine would tick all the other boxes).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@HilbertSpace, agreed, its a nice spot, just wondering if the non-skier could actually do ski school pick up given the set up and what else they would do when there as there really isn't much where they would be to avoid buses and not much more in Les C Village proper other than a few shops and restaurants.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mjit, There are some chalets in the woods above Arc1600 that I have stayed in before, but I haven't seen them for rent for a long time. There are some other places available. £5000 for 9/12 people is a very generous amount for a week just for rent.

Arc1600 would meet all your criteria. There are big standalone chalets but I don't know if they are rented out or what agencies to go to. Almost all the accommodation is on the piste and there is quite a lot to do apart from skiing: over Easter people have started mountain biking again, there is snowshoeing and walking beside the river in Bourg st Maurice or even cycling on the valley cycle paths, and if you have the gear some rockclimbing in the valley. The swimming pools in Bourg st Maurice or Mile8 are available. The only drawback as I see it is the local pistes are a bit steep for absolute beginners.

It is an easy drive of about 9 or 10 hour from Calais.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Menuires?

No purpose built ski resort has much for non skiers but it’s got a new pool/spa, nice walking and easy to access lots of meeting points, piste side restaurants etc on foot. It’s a resort but a big one compared to somewhere like Les C.

And for skiing with kids it’s just about the perfect resort. Loads of blues for them to explore but for the adults while the kids are in ski school it’s one lift to the ridge and you are in the heart of the 3 valleys. High for April snow as well.

Lots of apartments but there are chalets available as well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy