Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I Keep winter tyres on for Easter Val Thorens???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

We are driving to Val Thorens for the first week in April, and then from there down south to Calanques (Marseille...) for another week.

Question:

Would you keep winter tires on, or not?

Thanks for your ideas

MontyMM
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MontyMM, yes,I would.

You could get some new snow falling in Val Thorens while you're there, it is a high altitude resort after all. The only downside is that on your second week driving south to Marseille you may get slightly worse fuel economy but I would expect the difference to be small.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MontyMM, I wouldn't in mid April.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MontyMM, Just think how bad you would feel if lack of winter tyres stopped you getting up to VT. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes. Especially if you don't have chains which you could take for use if necessary. It wouldn't be for long, but even a short shower of the wrong sort of snow could bring you to a halt on summer tyres.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would be worth it if you are arriving or departing from resort early in the morning before any overnight ice on the roads has melted.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, I am convinced

P.S. I am keeping snow chains in the boot all year as "ace in the sleeve" for the muddy campsite fields....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very interesting question as we drive to Tignes that first week of April too. Have cross climate Mitchelin's so hubby says don't need snow chains. Hopefully not a law to say we need them after start of April??
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kettonskimum, You're unlikely to need chains, but even with Winter Tyres I think it is a legal requirement to have them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MontyMM, definitely. Still possible to get 30cm snow overnight into May in VT.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would keep them on, I'm going at around the same time and have just got hold of some chains as well.( They probably won't be needed but if i didn't have them.....)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 9-03-22 12:14; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MontyMM, …always a question for us…Easter in the Valais can be blisteringly hot (25 deg c) or 20cms of fresh. There is no legal requirement to have winter tyres in CH but there are requirements in the Jura on our route in France and even without the legal requirement in CH, if you have a shunt then is it regarded by the Cantonal Police as being your fault.

BUT….given that you are going South, you need to think of the following.

Always go with legal requirements (bad stuff happens).

Never gamble with weather. I have known people get it badly wrong (big 4WD on summer tyres rolling down meadows after losing it in 5cms of greasy soft).

While you can keep winter tyres on all year, they are optimised for operation below 10 deg c (they wear like mad at 15-12 deg c)…so….watch your pressures, and run them properly inflated.

No scrubbing when you are driving into higher temps. Ease them round curves, particularly at higher speeds - just go slower and nurse them on the twisty bits, particularly on those fast sweeps off the autoroutes…just drop the speed and nurse them round. Going straight at good pressures, not a huge problem. And don’t overload the car…or perhaps in the South run the car as little laden as you can.

Will we have them on the Yeti when the Grom and I go to CH at Easter? Yes.

Chains is a different matter. VAG say that you can’t use chains on the Yeti. This has been discussed before here. We have never had to use chains even in 20cms of fresh around the hills in the Valais. But we tend to have them in the back to wave at people who ask whether we have them.

In case there is a torrent of ‘yes you can’ and ‘you should only fit them on the front/rear’ I’ve gone into this in a lot of depth. Wringing out the technical information from VAG, for the 4WD Yeti we have the following:

Front-wheel drive
Snow chains must only be mounted on the front wheels.
For technical reasons, it is only permissible to fit snow chains with the following wheel/tyre combinations.
Wheel size - Depth D - Tyre size
6J x 16 50 mm 205 / 55 R16
7J x 16 45 mm 205/55 R16
6J x 17 45 mm 205 / 50 R17

All-wheel drive
Snow chains can be mounted on the wheels on the front and rear axles. To increase the traction (start-up properties), the use of snow chains is also
technically permissible on the rear axle (this means on the front and rear axle at the same time) for the following wheel / tyre combinations
Wheel size - Impression depth D - Tyre size
6J x 16 50 mm 205/55 R16
7J x 16 45 mm 205/55 R16
6J x 17 45 mm 205/50 R17

For technical reasons, it is only permissible to fit snow chains on rear axles with the following wheel / tyre combinations:
7J x 16 45 mm 215/60 R16
7J x 17 45 mm 225/50 R17

We run 225 50 R17 alloys as OEM fitted, and 215 60 R16 steels as our winter rims and tyres. That gives us the legal protection of the right rolling radius +/- 5%. That means only one set of chains, and terrifyingly, to be fitted to the rear only, according to the official guidance. This is considered VERY bad practice in places like Sweden and Finland. Lots of upset in Yeti community about this, since it really is quite difficult to source the information from VAG. So…we carry chains, but have never had to use them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We leave the winter type on all year now, unless you want USE ultimate grip in constant use with hot dry conditions, then I seriously doubt you'll notice anything by not changing. Perhaps elevated wear, but that's from driving characteristics (pushing any tire hard will increase wear) rather than any drastic failure of type.

Most winter tires are rated at least to H rating, that's a constant 130mph durability, we never even approach that on public roads in a family car.
Loading, the tire carcass rating, that "95" or similar denoted in specification is the amount of load a tire can safely carry in it's carcass at the correct inflation rate. It doesn't change for different types. Makes no difference if the two tires are same rating.

To OP go with catching the worst case scenario (crashing in snow conditions) all the rest will be fine.

Good advice to be sure of pressures you are using as that's the most important aspect of tire failure on a longer journey. Under inflation will quickly build heat in any tire and cause structural failure.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If your winter tyres are studded then you are not permitted these after the 1st of April.
Our local police cut us some slack on this if there's still loads of snow around, but you can't rely on Gendarmes or other Police being so tolerant.
latest report
@WindOfChange, …studded ‘snow tyres’ very uncommon in UK (common in Finland, Sweden etc), we are talking ‘winter tyres’ here…
snow report
kettonskimum wrote:
Very interesting question as we drive to Tignes that first week of April too. Have cross climate Mitchelin's so hubby says don't need snow chains. Hopefully not a law to say we need them after start of April??

I feel the Michelin Cross Climate are excellent tires, they really cover so much in temperature range and conditions. A friend has used them extensively from Spain's summer heat to Sweden winter temperatures, with very good results.

However, true snow freshly fallen on significant gradient is certainly a serious challenge, not necessarily when going up as you can "safely" get stuck and make yourself immobile. But more seriously the going down is bone chillingly nerve wracking for the unprepared. Faced with those conditions on decent, I'd be very wary in pace and trajectory in negotiation of significant gradient pitches.
snow conditions
valais2 wrote:
chains is a different matter. VAG say that you can’t use chains on the Yeti. This has been discussed before here. We have never had to use chains even in 20cms of fresh around the hills in the Valais. But we tend to have them in the back to wave at people who ask whether we have them.

In case there is a torrent of ‘yes you can’ and ‘you should only fit them on the front/rear’ I’ve gone into this in a lot of depth. Wringing out the technical information from VAG, for the 4WD Yeti we have the following:

Front-wheel drive
Snow chains must only be mounted on the front wheels.
For technical reasons, it is only permissible to fit snow chains with the following wheel/tyre combinations.
Wheel size - Depth D - Tyre size
6J x 16 50 mm 205 / 55 R16
7J x 16 45 mm 205/55 R16
6J x 17 45 mm 205 / 50 R17

All-wheel drive
Snow chains can be mounted on the wheels on the front and rear axles. To increase the traction (start-up properties), the use of snow chains is also
technically permissible on the rear axle (this means on the front and rear axle at the same time) for the following wheel / tyre combinations
6J x 16 50 mm 205/55 R16
7J x 16 45 mm 205/55 R16
6J x 17 45 mm 205/50 R17

For technical reasons, it is only permissible to fit snow chains on rear axles with the following wheel / tyre combinations:
7J x 16 45 mm 215/60 R16
7J x 17 45 mm 225/50 R17

We run 225 50 R17 alloys as OEM fitted, and 215 60 R16 steels as our winter rims and tyres. That gives us the legal protection of the right rolling radius +/- 5%. That means only one set of chains, and terrifyingly, to be fitted to the rear only, according to the official guidance. This is considered VERY bad practice in places like Sweden and Finland. Lots of upset in Yeti community about this, since it really is quite difficult to source the information from VAG. So…we carry chains, but have never had to use them.

There's an overiding element that's often missed, or not even known about that influences this strategy. The transmission of this type defaults to front drive only with the foot brake operated to remove conflict within the ABS system (with Haldex potentially giving 100% lock) the ESP can then fully use each rear wheel to help steer the vehicle based on steering column angulation (intended path) with many having yaw detection fitted to add additional channel into ECU logic profile.
On a competition car, Rally etc, normal operation as the surface gets more slippery is to move brake bias reward as it takes load off the steering wheels to help with direction changes, this is effectively made use of in ESP systems.
Having chained rears enhances this ability rather than diminishing it if fitted to front wheels. Effectively they'll operate on traction going up by adding to rear drive if fronts spin (reducing torque load of front contact patches) but aiding in vehicle dynamics going down a very slippery gradient too.
snow report
Yes. Take them off when you get home. Simples.
snow report
given temps sub 7C are quite likely ...

We generally keep winters on till end April at least.
ski holidays
What's the worst that can happen?

If you keep them on: it turns unseasonably warm and you get a high rate of wear, losing perhaps a couple of mm of tread. And the handling is a bit more uncertain compared to having your summers on.

If you take them off: it's cold and snows and you're stuck fast. Trying to negotiate mountain hairpins, your go off the road even with chains on the back because the fronts are summers and have no traction. You're involved in an accident and because you have unsuitable tyres for mountain snow conditions you're deemed liable and the insurer refuses to pay out and you're prosecuted.

You choose.
snow conditions
Much more likely - you won't be able to get right up to your high altitude accommodation, will have to leave the car in an awkward spot, hump your luggage around and then waste good ski time, in all that fresh snow, going back for the car, only to find it's now hidden behind a wall of ploughed snow, which sets like concrete....

I left winter tyres on for ages before I changed my car (as it cost money to swap, and the winters were in better shape than the summers). Wear was negligible - but then I don't drive like an 18 year old superhero. I gave the car to my son at the beginning of lockdown and the tyres are still going strong.
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
What's the worst that can happen?

If you keep them on: it turns unseasonably warm and you get a high rate of wear, losing perhaps a couple of mm of tread. And the handling is a bit more uncertain compared to having your summers on.

You choose.

I don't feel this can be factually supported. Although it's generally projected that a "softer" compound wears faster, that has to be facilitated by driving the tire further into forced abrasion, either lateral load (severe cornering) or longtitudinal (severe braking, acceleration) ordinarily driving is going to be a long way from breaching those trigger points constantly enough to have tengible effects.

As pam w put it, they don't change much if you dont rag it.

The tires really don't shift much in wear when used in different temperatures, that's not really a consideration here.
latest report
Michelin say it's OK to run winters in summer:
Quote:
Do winter tyres wear faster than summer tyres?
Contrary to popular belief, for the majority of brands, winter tyres used in winter conditions do not wear out faster than summer tyres used during the summer months. Thanks to advanced technologies, Michelin’s high performance winter tyres are guaranteed to last almost as long as their summer tyres.

...but then they would say that wouldn't they wink
snow report
To the original question, yes definitely keep winters on for the trip.

I think they do wear faster in summer but one of my cars (BMW 120) I leave then on all year round. The other car (Audi S4) I have two sets of wheels so it costs me nothing to change them over myself. The winter tyres on the Audi last a lot longer because they are only used when cold.

Both cars have V rated winter tyres so can run at high speed, useful when driving in Germany.
snow report
I’ll be keeping my winter tyres on for Easter in Sheffield!
snow conditions
i will probalby drive also to VT or Tignes or no idea in Ostern...i will keep Winter tires till the first week of May.

I have no idea wtat is the legislation in France, or UK.
However for a couple of years i worked in an insurance company (Greece)
There are some cases, where our company denied to pay the damages althouth the driver accepted that it was his fault because he had summer tires and the temp was below 2 C.
They acclaimed that according to the manufacturer bla bla bla the summer tires loose their abilities bla bla when the temperature is 2C or less that 2 C.
If this is true or not, i have no idea (i changed job a couple of months later Very Happy )
However better safe than sorry
snow report
It may be worth stating the heat affect here to help people as it seems uppermost in their decision making in trying to take the best path.

To seperate structural heat from tread heat is important.

Structural heat (the whole tire) is contolled by that structure flexing, too much and heat build up will ultimately lead to the tire failing. This is contolled by the tire load index rating #×× on the sidewall, perhaps 95 as example. This describes how many kilograms that tire can safely be used for at the noted psi. The manufacturer states what this should be for your vehicle along with the psi for load (the rears usually differ for pax and payload) correctly inflated they won't overheat, that's why pressure is important.
You cannot avoid this as being fundamental to keeping them from failing. It doesn't change from one tire to another if they are rated the same. It's not a factor of winter vs summer if they match.

The tread temperature range is in addition to the above. But has to generated by friction with the road surface (assuming you've not overheated the tire by under inflation) as long as you're not driving it into sliding the tire, then it won't adversely cause concern.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely keep them on.

I drove one April to Val D'Isere and it was 27 degrees in the valley, but then I was in Zermatt last April and we got a foot or two of fresh powder. So you never know and I would err on the side of caution.

My wife kept her winters on all last summer and they were fine come this winter although we normally would change them, due to less commuting last year it was less of an issue.
latest report
IF you're hammering down the autoroute to Marseilles (and back) AND the roads have warmed up I'd rather be on summer tyres. It's that last mile or two to VT that MAY be the problem - I know it's high but I might risk it with summers AND chains, providing the car was FWD. I'm going to Flaine (1600m) on 19th March with summer tyres and chains - but I've done the same journey many times in Feb with summers and chains. Slow progress if you need the chains but you get there.
latest report
I'm admittedly a peasant (what's the opposite of a petrolhead?) when it comes to driving, but there's no way I could tell, whether from road noise or handling, whether I was on winter tyres or summers. I've driven to the Alps and back many times, at different times of year, often on my own. Winter tyres in summer are much less of a problem than summer tyres in winter.....
snow report
pam w wrote:
I'm admittedly a peasant (what's the opposite of a petrolhead?) when it comes to driving, but there's no way I could tell, whether from road noise or handling, whether I was on winter tyres or summers. I've driven to the Alps and back many times, at different times of year, often on my own. Winter tyres in summer are much less of a problem than summer tyres in winter.....

A very astute observation.

It follows, that virtually no driver will notice the difference if the vehicle is used within normal and legal driving activities when running "winter" tires all year. But even the most uninterested, uninformed, detached viewing driver (for want of better description to illustrate) will absolutely notice the shortcomings of the opossite scenario, unsuitable tires in a slippery winter environment.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
there's no way I could tell, whether from road noise or handling, whether I was on winter tyres or summers.

Another benefit of studded tyres is that the road noise certainly reminds you Smile
I've tried a few over the years, but the loudest are definitely Coopers - sounds like your exhaust's dragging.
snow conditions
@pam w, Can you even get specific "summer" tyres in the UK? My local depots only stock general purpose tyres (including those for sport) and on occaisions winter tyres. I imagine where there are big temperature differences between summer and winter there may be a market for specialist summer tyres, but cannot see it in the UK.
ski holidays
@johnE, I think the term "summer tyres" refers to the tyres normally sold all year round in the UK I.e. what most people have. They are intended for 7C upwards which, at least where I live, is most days of the year. If you're regularly driving early morning, especially further north, there is a case for using winter tyres. But "summer tyres" will outperform winter tyres on warm roads, driving at speed, in terms of roadholding and stopping distance. Obviously, on icy roads you're much safer with winter tyres.
latest report
No, I just meant "standard issue" tyres, of course. Unless people have four spare wheels they can change themselves (and are boy racer drivers who do a huge mileage in summer) the cost of changing tyres will far outweigh any potential additional wear for keeping winters on all year round.
snow report
Easter 2019 I was in VT and when we left it had snowed a decent amount and if we'd not had winters it could have been a bit dicey
snow conditions
billb wrote:
@johnE, But "summer tyres" will outperform winter tyres on warm roads, driving at speed, in terms of roadholding and stopping distance.

That's not true, it only happens at the very extremes of tire performance, both of which example lay substantially outside normal and legal use patterns.

Many of the "winter" tires used are rated with a V speed rating (partly because the original non winter tire specification decides that) which are safely rated to 150mph continuously and without technical compromise.

The scope of most example is so far outside even "driving at speed" category to make no difference.
snow report
I've ran my Nokian (last tyres WRA4) all year round for the past 12 years. I did notice a bit more of a tendency to squeal and slide a touch on tight corners during hot weather but nothing drastic. I now drive from Austria to the UK to work during the summer but as I return in December it makes no sense to change them. In the past my local garage in N Wales charged a fiver to change a tyre so I sometimes used to put my old winter tyres which were worn to the 4.5mm limit back on for the summer.
latest report
[quote="ski3"

That's not true, it only happens at the very extremes of tire performance, both of which example lay substantially outside normal and legal use patterns.

Many of the "winter" tires used are rated with a V speed rating (partly because the original non winter tire specification decides that) which are safely rated to 150mph continuously and without technical compromise.

The scope of most example is so far outside even "driving at speed" category to make no difference.[/quote]

This is the opposite of previous reviews I have seen in various places. Even on a road stopping from 70mph on a dry warm road the summer types will generally stop quicker than the winter types. Speed rating is not a sign of the performance of the tyre per say just the limits it will work within. You can have two "V" tyres with VERY different performance. Are they both "safe" yes... is one safer than the other.. yes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy