Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cleaning the sticky side of skins

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I followed some YouTube instructions to wipe with household detergent (washing up liquid?) and then rinse, but this hasn’t removed all the grime on them. It seems to be ingrained in the glue after all the muddy / dusty spring touring. Any ideas?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, a (less than helpful) idea now, don't ask youtube before you ask here. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have no experience of this at all and am very unlikely to ever gain any, but does the existence of this not suggest you simply strip it off and re-apply a new sticky layer?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 22-04-22 9:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, I am only an amateur in this, being an up the side of the piste tourer Laughing but I suspect you are fighting a losing battle as the muck has now been "grabbed" by the glue and the only way is to remove / dissolve the glue and recoat? I understand that is not a quick, or easy, process ? Be interested to hear what people have to say as mine are a bit like that. Still stick to skis at present though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had decent results with parchment/baking paper. You put that over the skin and then run a hot iron over a few times and seemed to pull off a lot of dirt and pine needles and keeps them sticky. Not perfect though and you can always strip and re-glue but a bigger job.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’m not an expert especially because mine are soaked with fish guts but have revitalised glue with silicone grease proof paper on the glue and a warm wax iron on the paper. Lifts the dirt out the glue. Mine still smell like 2 day old hooker though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the feedback. They still stick so I’m loathe to start stripping the glue off. Might try the grease proof paper idea. If not will take them to a shop. Thanks!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ster wrote:
@BobinCH, a (less than helpful) idea now, don't ask youtube before you ask here. Very Happy

You are most probably right!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hang11 wrote:
Mine still smell like 2 day old hooker though.

I'm not sure that means what I think it does Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, as long as they stick don't worry - pine/larch needles are a real pain, as are the skins falling off the washing line onto the grass, and then having three dogs also adds another layer of dog hair too Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ousekjarr wrote:
hang11 wrote:
Mine still smell like 2 day old hooker though.

I'm not sure that means what I think it does Shocked

Hopefully not!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Use the matt side of the paper sheets the skins came with on the glue and iron gently, the wax will rejuvenate (most likely)........
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Baking paper and Iron, can rejuvinate the wax. You won't get the muck out. To do that you need to get the glue off and re apply. Nasty sticky messy job, You tube can explain better than me... I've done 5+ pairs and haven't managed it easily or without sticky mess yet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy