Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aurach bei Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

HNY to you all.

I'm off to Aurach bei Kitzbuhel in March and i've noticed there is an unpisted red run back to the front door of our hotel. Has anyone skied this run? we are a small group of intermediates and one or two of the group are at the lower end of inter-idiots!

Will they cope?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That run is a ski route, it is unpisted and only intermittently patrolled if at all. In good snow conditions it is not that difficult especially as it often gets skied into a piste like state. Whether it is suitable for your group is not really possible to say so much is dependent on the conditions at the time. Certainly you need to be confident in skiing pretty much any type of snow and being responsible for yourself. Do also note there is no way to bail out, once you start the only real option is to get to the bottom there are no lifts or other transport nearby.

Would your group be happy skiing the black runs that the ski route branches off from? If not then best give the route a miss.

The routes down to Jochberg and Aurach are usually only in condition from around mid January until late February so it is probably not an option anyway
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, thanks for the advice. Our group has two very expert skiers, two good intermediates and one less confident intermediate. So i'm going to take the path of least resistance and avoid the route...........unless the conditions are perfect.

I'll probably get the two experts to ski it back on day one to assess its suitability for the group.

appreciate your help
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gazzaredcruiser, are you talking about number 33, from Steinbergkogel down to Hechenmoos? It's not steep, but un-pisted so might not suit less experienced skiers. Really depends on the snow conditions of the day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks @Steilhang, we will take a view when we get there. We're staying at Hechenmoos, have i chosen wisely or poorly in terms of access to the ski area?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.kitzski.at/media/4010-kitzbuehel-jochberg-pass-thurn-mittersill-21.12.19-15.03.20.pdf
Bus is a bit irregular...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
6 minutes to the lift at Jochberg. Beware of the very few buses from Pass Thurn. One time I got stuck when the stupid long drag lift was closed because of high winds! I made a bee line down to Pass Thurn assuming there would be regular buses. Luckily I just about made one as the next one was an hour later. I was not the only person with the same idea and so the bus was completely full. No room for folk waiting further down at Alte Wacht etc who faced a long wait for the next bus.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steilhang, @munich_irish, thanks guys, all very useful info.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rekindle a thread. so if I'm staying in Aurach bei Kitzbuhel with wheels. For ease of getting up the mountain/free parking/ski schule for the kids would you access the skiing from jochberg or Kitzbuhel?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mother hucker, assuming both car parks are free for day visitors (pretty sure they are) then it doesnt make much odds. The Hahnenkamm will be busier but leads to the "centre" (not geographically) of the ski area. Jochberg likely to be quieter but maybe a better location for exploring the more interesting parts of the area. There will be ski school in both places though perhaps Kitzbühel itself might be better for English language groups.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, what's the Q like for getting up the moubtain peak times in Kitz?
from the map it looks like only 1 6 seater
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mother hucker wrote:
@munich_irish, what's the Q like for getting up the moubtain peak times in Kitz?
from the map it looks like only 1 6 seater

I've only been out of peak time, and have not tried coming up from Kitz early morning, but the only significant queues I met was for the Baranbadkogel2, which I think was a combination of people coming over the 3S from Kitz (as we did), and those from Jochberg heading for Resterhohe.

Re parking, Jochberg car parks are free(no barriers). Resterhohe are free with a lift pass (wave your ski pass at the barrier on the way out). Not sure about Kitzbuhel - the only time we parked there was in the evening and we paid, but it less than a euro, and I think we didn't have lift passes with us, so don't know if it's free with a lift pass
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mother hucker, the Hahnenkamm lift is a gondola, main lift out of town. No idea about queues as I tend to use the Fleckalmbahn, I would imagine it is fairly busy in the mornings peak weeks. Unless you want to experience the "party" make sure you avoid the Hahenkamm race weekend as big crowds though the pistes away from the race area tend to be quieter than normal. Jochberg likely to be less busy as fewer people.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mother hucker wrote:
rekindle a thread. so if I'm staying in Aurach bei Kitzbuhel with wheels. For ease of getting up the mountain/free parking/ski schule for the kids would you access the skiing from jochberg or Kitzbuhel?

Ive skied Kitz in the first few weeks in March, and used the Hahnenkamm Gondola daily, yes it ca be busy, queuing to the bottom of the stairs but I found it goes through efficiently with only a 5-10 minute wait.

However if you are staying in Aurach you will probably be better of using the Jochberg Gondola, as it will probably take you a similar time to "ski" over to the Hahnenkamm side as it would to drive and queue.

Later in the season the snow does get a bit heavy on the lower parts of the pistes from the 3S down to Jochberg as it is a bit of a sun trap, though still enjoyable
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had to pay when we parked at the Hahnenkamm for the day. It was the only carpark in the area that we used that was chargeable. (We had Super Ski Card lift passes but still had to pay).

It looks like it's currently €10 to park at the base of the Hahnenkamm for the day:

https://www.kitzbuehel.com/en/service/kitz-a-z/infrastructure/p1-parking-hahnenkamm-cablecar-kitzbuehel/
snow report
If the Hahnenkamm is the only lift working, you are entitled to your car parking fee back. Not a lot of people know this.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy