Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slope / snow

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, off to La Plagne for our first ever ski trip on Saturday.
Had 4 dry slope lessons and have lessons booked over there.
Managed to progress to starting to try and parallel turn yesterday. Did ok’ish but hit the deck at one point, feeling it today.
Been told it will be much easier on the snow?

How true is this Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kevali, it's very true!

I know some people swear by dry slopes, but when I started out I was told they were really only good for learning the basics.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow is much slippier (than dendix, not sure about others).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kevali, night and day. The slope doesn't have to be as steep to get you sliding.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

but when I started out I was told they were really only good for learning the basics

Or how to improve skills to a very high level eg for racing, or carving turns. Not so good for learning how to handle deep powder, however, but the balance and edging control is certainly useful in dealing with hardpack.

@Kevali, it is generally easier on snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Much easier. If you learn on dry slopes, you will be well set for snow.

I still ski on dry slopes occasionally to remind me how much better the real thing is!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I know some people swear by dry slopes, but when I started out I was told they were really only good for learning the basics.

The basics are what most people never finish learning!

If you are UK based and not near (or rich enough for) a snowdome, then plastic is your best option to improve. It is slower, grip is elusive, but if you can master plastic then you will be a much better snow skier. The only downside is that stopping ever 80 metres or so on snow (typical dryslope length) may distress your friends...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The dry slope we had family lessons on, many years ago, in Ayrshire, had no lift (it had once had a lift, but fallen on hard times....). So after every short run - which took a while as we were doing lots of turns, and stopping and correcting, you had to shoulder your skis and walk up the muddy grass at the side. Which was, of course, very good for your legs! Snow, with a drag lift, was exceptionally easy after that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul33 wrote:
... when I started out I was told they were really only good for learning the basics.
It's rare to find anyone from the UK who can actually ski - I mean at expert level - who didn't put in significant time on a dry slope.
But most people only ever learn "the basics", so for them that's probably true wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It's rare to find anyone from the UK who can actually ski - I mean at expert level - who didn't put in significant time on a dry slope.

Or in Cairngorm.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kevali, snow is much easier but the technique is the same. I used to ski a lot at one and really think that it helped improve my performance
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So what would a dry slope be in terms of colour
eg, green / blue
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kevali, The gradient of an average dry slope is probably equivalent to a typical blue run, Gloucester and Sheffield (RIP) being my points of reference but you travel so much faster on snow that it is not quite analogous. Falling typically, although not always, hurts less when falling on snow. No hexagonal holes to forc ebody parts into. You will want to start on the nursery slopes to get a feel for snow but should then be able to progress relatively quickly to blue runs if you were already parallel turning on dendex
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kevali, If you've not used a chairlift, you might find that takes a bit of getting used to, especially if it's a "fixed" lift which you need to get on, and off, quite smartly. Presumably you've not booked the very first beginners lessons in La Plagne, so it might be worth mentioning to the instructor if it's your first experience of a chair.
latest report
Kevali wrote:
Had 4 dry slope lessons ...Did ok’ish but hit the deck at one point, feeling it today.
Been told it will be much easier on the snow?

How true is this Very Happy

Well for this aspect, at this time of year - generally similar first thing until the over-night surface crust gets broken down, then much nicer to fall on (if potentially soggy late in the day). Smile
ski holidays
Paul33 wrote:

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.
Anyone could improve their skiing during the off season more than they could ever imagine, skiing with a race club a couple of hours a week.
Skill level will sky rocket and transfer over in to all aspects of skiing.
snow report
my recollection of Hillend (Edinburgh) and Bearsden is about red run steepness but green run speeds.

As is oft said, if you can ski well on a dry slope, you can ski well anywhere Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

As is oft said, if you can ski well on a dry slope, you can ski well anywhere

Sadly not true. A few years ago I recall going skiing with some excellent dry slope racers on snow. OK they have limited snow experience, but they could not deal with even tiny bumps at all.
snow report
Quote:
Sadly not true. A few years ago I recall going skiing with some excellent dry slope racers on snow.
OK they have limited snow experience, but they could not deal with even tiny bumps at all.
<shrug> I remember when I made that transition: it took me about 4 hours to work out how to deal with bumps, although they were weird at first.

The "expert beginner" thing doesn't work well on plastic: weaknesses in technique are much more apparent.
Plus everyone on the lift's watching, so there's no BS potential if you can't actually ski/ ride.
ski holidays
I had a strange experience on a dry slope (Gloucester) the other week that I've been meaning to ask about. I should have asked the staff at the time - and I'm still not sure why I didn't.

Background: I learned to ski on snow, have probably skied 60 days total... so not a beginner but my technique is still somewhat basic (my 'Carv Ski:IQ' is 99 for those who use that system, for what it's worth). Anyway - we went to Gloucester a few weeks before this year's ski trip... first time on a dry slope. Was a bit weird at first but we got into it fairly quickly and had a fun couple of hours. We then had a great week in France.

But then... we returned to Gloucester a few weeks later, after the holiday... and it was a total disaster. I kept feeling like I was going to fall over the front of my skis... it felt like the surface was slowing me down so much. In fact, I really struggled to get any speed up at all. And on two occasions I ended up right at the edge of the matting and it felt like my outside ski had been 'grabbed' and I just couldn't get it to turn... I actually ended up on the grass at one point.

Now... one thing I noticed was that, aside from one short stretch (that was the only part I enjoyed), it didn't look like the water sprinkler things were on.

So my question is: is this just a normal experience... I'd got lazy on snow and the dry slope had revealed my poor technique, etc? Or could it (as I suspect... but then I would say this wouldn't I) be that there actually was something wrong with the slope that day (eg no water spray)?
ski holidays
@gendal, if they don't turn the sprinklers on and it dries out then dryslope skiing is cr@p, your move so slowly that you struggle to turn a d your timing is all off. Sprinklers cost money so if it's not busy they are likely to turn them off. I would put your lack of enjoyment and ability that day fully down to that.
snow report
That’s a relief. Thanks.
latest report
Take a candle to rub on the bottom of your skis next time!
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
my recollection of Hillend (Edinburgh) and Bearsden is about red run steepness but green run speeds.

As is oft said, if you can ski well on a dry slope, you can ski well anywhere Happy

My experience of Hillend would fit with red run steep for green run speed and icy black level of grip! Skullie

Oh and hillend thumb! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy