Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AT Boot Choice/Matching

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi skiers,

As there are a few good deals to be had at the moment, I am in the mood to buy some new AT Boots.

Background: I have been in Dynafit Zzero4 Boots all my ski touring career, the Last 8 years or so in the last generation "carbon rear cuff" ones, some call them green machines.

I ski them with maestrale intuitions and lately with intuition pro tours. Feet are 27.3cm/27cm, Boots are 27.5 shell and 306BSL. pretty normal feet, certainly not wide. I am 187/77 if that matters.

AT Ski for coming winter is a Salomon MTN 95. Freeride Skis are QST 106s.

Since I have a new pair of shells of the dynafit still as a backup, and these work really well for me for general skiing (but weight 1850g with custom footbeds, booster strap and a few mods), I thought I could use a lighter boot for long missions and quick tours (i.e. before/after work and such).

Shortlist: Scarpa F1, F1 LT, Fischer Transalp Pro, Tecnica Zero G (Tour?)...so essentially the 1300g class. Or wait for the Zero G Peak?

What do you think is appropriate for the given "amount of ski" (MTN95)? Driving the QST is a bonus, not a must.

thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What binding(s) are you using? I ask as those lighter boots are likely to have quite a bit shorter bsl for the same mondo size so if you're planning on using both boots in the same binding you'll need good length adjustment in your heel plus the lighter boots can't be used in alpine style bindings so can't be used in Shifts/Kingpins/Tectons etc.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
F1 LT or Peak IMO.

My Tecnica Zero G Tour Pros are up to 1650g with aftermarket liners (stock liners very thin and don’t last long), mods and booster straps so not enough of a weight saving over what you have, if you like them.

But as per @spyderjon check the BSL. Size 27 Zero G is 313 whereas size 28 Scarpa F1 LT is 302. Size up in Scarpa F1 LT - you would be a 28 I would guess which should be ok. But if you can squeeze into a 27 it’s a 294 so a binding set for 306 may not have enough play.

https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-sole-length-size-chart
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
What binding(s) are you using? I ask as those lighter boots are likely to have quite a bit shorter bsl for the same mondo size so if you're planning on using both boots in the same binding you'll need good length adjustment in your heel plus the lighter boots can't be used in alpine style bindings so can't be used in Shifts/Kingpins/Tectons etc.

Hi Jon,
your points are exactly why I am thinking about the puchase now. I am about to drill for Alpinists and hence I need to decide on ount point. Went for the long travel version this time and will drill heel forward, since the way it seems, the additional travel goes rearward only.

QST has shifts, another valid aspet. But I think it would be find if the new boot was restricted to the MTNs
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy