Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is a GoPro good enough?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
On my last skiing trip we were using a GoPro but started thinking about it's downfalls (memory running out, battery running out, not being in the shot, missing certain moments etc).

Skip a few months down the line and "Designing a ski film system" has turned into my dissertation at St Andrews, and I'm trying to collect opinions from skiers.

Would you mind filling in this super short survey (10 mins) to share your thoughts, it would be really helpful to get some opinions to guide my designs!

https://standrews.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3UIGYuEMaDNKZgi
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just "filled" in your form. Go back to school and learn how to do it properly. (hint: radio buttons are not multi choice)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Filled it in, but agree the survey needs a lot of refinement. Some of my answers were all or most of the above. Asking someone how they feel when they are skiing is like asking them how they feel when they are eating - it depends.
Have you deliberately excluded snowboarders and other potential mountain users or would you not want to sell a product to mountain bikers etc?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ski lots, i gave up at the first question - agree entirely about "how they feel" - I had no idea how to answer, then thought 20 minutes of this - no thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm. Yes. Very strange first questions, completely unanswerable. So didn't get on to any subsequent questions. If some of those are more focussed, and more susceptible to reliable analysis, it might be best to put more subjective and qualitative ones at the end. But not the existing questions - which are meaningless. How do I feel before a ski trip? How do I feel about what? Work? The state of the nation? My love life? How many pairs of socks to pack? The snow forecast?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, obviously either your love life, or how many pairs of socks to pack. Laughing The rest are all too depressing. Sad

@pinoPalladino, same feedback as above. If you simply ask for free text answers, you'll get a bunch of random comments and opinions that you can't usefully analyse, if anyone bothers to complete the survey. You say you're looking to design a filming system, then ask questions about feelings before a holiday. It's a strange start.

Why not use your experiences as the basis for a structured series of questions. E.g. 1 Do you currently use a video camera on your winter holidays (yes/no)? 2. Would you video more if the system was easier to use (lots more/some more/about the same/less/not at all)? Which of the problems below limit your use of video (memory card full/battery life/difficulty framing the shot/filming at the wrong time/none of the above/other)? And so on. You can finish with a couple of open-ended questions to cover stuff you've not thought about - but keep most of it simple and quick to complete, and you'll get far better results.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm afraid I agree regarding the questions - I tried but failed.

survey wrote:
The aim of this project is to design a system which will record skiers as they ski down a mountain.
By participating in this questionnaire you will be asked to answers questions which are designed to allow us to derive insights that will guide our design process.

By analogy, if you asked an old skool skier for "insights" about the next generation of ski...
you'd not have ended up with modern shaped skis; reverse camber; or snowboards.

And if you'd asked a bunch of surf photographers for the same assistance, you'd never have created the "Hero".

To describe a GoPro as "a system which [records] skiers as they ski down a mountain" seems like missing the point
of a camera whose very name explains what's really being sold.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy