Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April 6th with beginner kids

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for somewhere not insanely expensive for early April, it'll be from the 6th, with two kids,8 and 5 who're getting dry slope lessons but will be first week on snow. We might also have grandparents in two (one skis a bit, the other doesn't) but would be happy with a small resort as long as there was decent snow prospects.

Somewhere with swimming would be a significant bonus! Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank as we've stuck to the big multi resort ski areas in the past...

Any help appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
options that week will be limited as season will be regarded as over in many resorts. Tignes is the obvious choice. Good pool for family and you can keep costs reasonable if you wish
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52715

The Spring Family Bash is on in VT that week and has a nice pool! Not small but perfect for beginners and there would be good options for you to have a decent ski without being too far away from the kids.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cervinia is also usually good that week. If it's not Easter week, the prices should be lower than France
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did VT for two years when the kids were learning and that age. Loads of accommodation next to the slopes - some big schools including and English ski school. Village Montana or Pierre et vacancies have accommodation next to the slopes and Montagnettes.

Brand new swimming complex in town and a new soft play, dedicated sledge track (one you pay one not).

It’s snow sure for that week.

Going back this year as our friends have kids learning too.

Prosneige have lessons if you book them in for lunch - they take them to the soft play at lunch a couple of days in the week.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On France:

You do have to be careful with opening dates. La Norma for example closes on the 7th April but Saint François Longchamp closes on the 14th.

Early April is not expensive, whether Easter or not.

You will save money going to smaller resorts - accommodation and lift passes are cheaper. Are you DIY or TO.

Looking at the list on https://piste-maps.co.uk/france is a good starting place for ideas/research.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes does have a swimming pool and free lift passes for under 8’s
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's a good point from @Elsie80, that different resorts have different ages for free passes. Also look out for family pass rates.

Also, just to say as someone who has spent many weeks at the large resorts (Paradiski, 3V, Tignes, ADH) having young kids is a good opportunity to try out some of the smaller resorts. Kinda wished we'd done it more. We did La Norma which was good (but as above closed when you want to go) and Les Contamines (watch out for steep drags!) but there are many others.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Rosiere can be fun with that age of children.

We've been there in Easter.

These chalets (self catered) have a swimming pool. https://www.snowfinders.co.uk/ski-holidays/france/la-rosiere/le-lodge-hemera/

Other operators are available - or even give them a call, we've used snowfinders quite a few times over the years. If you give them as much detail as possible they will come up with some options for you.

Ski Evolution were great with the children, for lessons in La Rosiere.

We've also been to Les Arcs with the children as well. The previous season there was a pool in the place we stayed at, although that was La Plagne. Children were a bit older though.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 17-08-23 12:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kaprun with skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier is a good option. There is a big spa on the edge of town, or a bus ride to Zell for a municipal pool. There *may* still be a few slopes open at the top of Zell. Plenty to do for non skiers in Kaprun and Zell, and Salzburg for a day trip.

An outside shout for Innsbruck. There are five glacier resorts within a reasonable drive. You used to be able to get a pass that covered all 5. Plus areas like Küthai may still be open, although you're then looking at day passes. And obviously plenty of non ski stuff to do in the city. You would realistically need a car to make this work, and journey times of 50 mins for closest and 1:50 to furthest may put you off.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My experience with small kids is that you need to prioritise very easily getting them to the ski school meeting place. They're better off going every day, so very little scope for travelling to distance parts.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
My experience with small kids is that you need to prioritise very easily getting them to the ski school meeting place. They're better off going every day, so very little scope for travelling to distance parts.

Totally agree with this!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would second that - my priority is how close we are to the ski schools and the faff. Carrying skis getting them into ski school is a real faff - the easier you make this the better for you. That’s why I liked VT - the apartment was right next to the slopes - could even walk back to get own skis
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take a look at Val Cenis…a nice family resort in a lovely village with everything close by that you would need and is open until 19th April next year, cost effective lift passes for adults and kids.

https://www.haute-maurienne-vanoise.com/en/ski-area/val-cenis-ski-area-val-cenis/

https://www.valcenis.com/les-activites-et-loisirs/ete-a-val-cenis/les-loisirs-indoor-ete/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plus, Esprit and Club Med sort out getting the children to Ski School
ski holidays
But those options do cost serious money.
ski holidays
Yes, but still an option
latest report
Mayrhofen + other resorts in Zillertal.
Public swimming pool (+ spa in Kaltenbach) , but a lot of the hotels have a pool anyway.
Reasonable sized town.
snow conditions
We've used these guys when our kids were similar ages and kept going back! Don't let the height worry you, the blue back to resort remains open until closing or you can gondola down, & the area faces North with decent height easily accessible. The runs down to 1800 are very good for kids/beginners.

https://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/
latest report
Apologies for the delay getting back, and wow, lots to check through here, much appreciated all!
latest report
malk wrote:
Any recommendations for somewhere not insanely expensive for early April, it'll be from the 6th, with two kids,8 and 5 who're getting dry slope lessons but will be first week on snow. We might also have grandparents in two (one skis a bit, the other doesn't) but would be happy with a small resort as long as there was decent snow prospects.

Somewhere with swimming would be a significant bonus! Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank as we've stuck to the big multi resort ski areas in the past...

Any help appreciated!

Last three saisons Valmorel (not SFL!!! - first entry each day counts) had a family spring offer, running from last week of march to the end of the saison, with each adult pass bought, you get a free kids pass. That's a considerable discount right there. I believe, this will continue. Appartments come cheap, too. Could find an okay 3p for around €500.

But keep in mind, skiing takes place on average 500m lower than in the Big Tarentaise Three.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 24-08-23 21:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@malk, For 6th April I would look at Arc 2000, Montgenevre and Sainte Foy. We have been to all of these resorts in that week in the past and had good holidays. I particularly like Montgenevre at Easter. You could of course go to Tignes or Val Thorens but you would pay more for equivalent accommodation and lift passes and be unlikely to make the most of the ski areas...so I'd save them for when your kids are teenagers.

We always book through Peak Retreats self drive (including Eurotunnel flexi plus) but you could book accommodation only through them and source your own flights if that suits you better. You could also look into train travel (with a change in Paris) but it is getting more complicated with young children now there is no direct ski train.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 24-08-23 22:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Avoriaz. Can’t remember if you have to pay for a full PDS pass. Access to Morzine for wandering around a town.
snow report
I've booked flights to Geneva now, £140 each for return with baggage was too good to pass up I think! Hopefully no issues with ski/board carriage with Ethiopian and I can whack the 2 sets of skis and 1 board in a single bag...

@snowymum, I'd been looking at Peak Retreats, seem to be some good options there, they've suggested Les Saisies which seems to be pretty good for late snow despite the altitude, handy for Geneva as well.
ski holidays
malk wrote:
Hopefully no issues with ski/board carriage with Ethiopian.

Yeah, it would be a bummer if they forgot to offload in GVA. Not much use for skis in Addis Ababa Happy

That’s a flight where I’d definitely be taking all my essential ski gear in carry-on!
ski holidays
Going with kids we could carry everything we need in just the carry on. I'd trade the 4 hold bags for one ski bag if they'd let us!
snow report
I've spotted that Les Saisies main season finishes on the 5th April and it goes to partial opening from 09:00 - 17:15 but also being snow dependent which is a bit of a red flag. Has anyone experience of this?
snow report
I've lots of experience of all times during the season in Saisies. Like any other place it sometimes has good snow, sometimes not, but is generally better than anywhere else around, including Flaine. That doesn't mean I'd recommend Saisies for a holiday beginning 6 April, but I'd not choose Valmorel or lots of other places (such as Les Gets or Morzine) either. Lower resorts might be fine but it's a gamble. Somewhere like Val Thorens or Tignes would be a better bet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
malk wrote:
I've spotted that Les Saisies main season finishes on the 5th April and it goes to partial opening from 09:00 - 17:15 but also being snow dependent which is a bit of a red flag. Has anyone experience of this?

All resorts have seasonal open times as in hours of the day (basically after a certain time of the year they close the lifts a bit later) this part of the statement "partial opening until 2023 the 21th april (subject to sufficient snow coverage)." I would interpret as meaning some runs maybe closed, which many resorts don't say but is pretty standard - although really you could say that about any time of the year. Scarce snow conditions are not restricted to the end of the season. Les Coches, where I go a lot, they usually open a week later than than the main La Plagne resorts but they have a set end date and they always maintain the slope to the town even if some pistes/lifts are closed. I would check with the resort itself what exactly it means. You don't want to be booking accommodation and nothing be open. One time we were going to Les Sept Laux early season and they didn't open as stated because of lack of snow (got accommodation in Tignes instead).
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I've lots of experience of all times during the season in Saisies. Like any other place it sometimes has good snow, sometimes not, but is generally better than anywhere else around, including Flaine. That doesn't mean I'd recommend Saisies for a holiday beginning 6 April, but I'd not choose Valmorel or lots of other places (such as Les Gets or Morzine) either. Lower resorts might be fine but it's a gamble. Somewhere like Val Thorens or Tignes would be a better bet.

I agree with that.
We've skied in Les Contamines a lot at that time of year and 7 years in 10 it's been excellent. The other three have been OK.
There is a new apartment development with a pool in Les C if you are interested. https://www.mgm-hotels-residences.com/en/residence-chalets-laska
ski holidays
Another vote for Les Arcs here. Staying in 1950 or 2000 will give you quick and easy access to ski school and lots of lovely blues, plus nursery gardens for beginner children. We used Evolution 2 in 1800, but they have meet points in 1950 and 2000 too.

There's a public pool in 1800, and I think some of the accommodation in the higher villages have pools.

I'd recommend 1800 usually, as it has a superb green for the children, but we were there the first week of April this year, and it got slushy and hard going in 1800 by about 11am, so we mostly hung out up in the 1950/2000 bowl from about then.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
Avoriaz. Can’t remember if you have to pay for a full PDS pass. Access to Morzine for wandering around a town.

If you'ree staying up in Avoriaz for beginners you'd only need the cheaper Avoriaz area pass, not the full Portes du Soleil one.

I've skied the PdS late in the season and snow conditions up in Azoriaz will be as good as anywhere else in the Alps in April.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
i've skied the PdS late in the season and snow conditions up in Azoriaz will be as good as anywhere else in the Alps in April.

I'll challenge that statement
latest report
I would too - it's far too sweeping a statement. And when Avoriaz does have the best local conditions it gets rammed.
latest report
I was more coming from the point that conditions in Avoriaz won't generally be much better or worse than in Les Arcs/Tignes/etc. at that time of year.

Sure you might get random pockets where it's warmer/cooler across the French Alps, or where there's been a random snow fall, but that could as easily be Avoriaz as anywhere else, so pot luck.
ski holidays
@Mjit,
Family resort and better conditions than Avoriaz id say Obergurgl with sölden up the valley to add in the the mix.
Ischgl will have better snow, bigger skiable area, better lifts than Avoriaz and kids ski for free that time of the year also
ski holidays
Bit of a long way from Geneva where the OPs flight's landing though...
snow report
Tignes would quite likely be better if only because there is a large area of high altitude skiing, compared to Avoriaz.
ski holidays
@Mjit, have they booked them yet? I didn't read all the way up.
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
@Mjit, have they booked them yet? I didn't read all the way up.

Yep - otherwise I'd have been saying Austria for April skiing too Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy