Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid January from Geneva, Tignes or...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I do have one week for skiing from/to Geneva 16 - 23 Jan 2024 (Tue morning/Tue morning).
Having some difficulties to decide where to go.

Prefecences would be:
1) High probability for skiable conditions: snowsure, possibility to ski if the weather gets a bit worse (I know, it is impossible to predict the snowsureness and in mid Jan it usually, except this year, is good everywhere. Rather a higher altitude resort, though.)
2) Accommodation in an reasonable priced (100-150 €/night) apartment/hotel at a village/resort with more than two restaurants and bars within walking distance, but no need for any grander nightlife).
3) Ski area about 200 km, to ski through in 4-5 days. Bigger ski areas also fine, but usually I have been to these mid-sized areas, so that I don't miss anything, and ski about every slope (only) once.

I am travelling solo by public transport. Don't mind taking buses or trains from Geneva lasting 2-5 hours.
I have visited many different resorts around Austria, Italy and Switzerland, but in France only Les Deux Alpes. But usually in March, so not so familiar with the conditions in Alps in mid January. I am an intermediate skier, all kind of slopes are fine.

My first option was Tignes (Le Lac or Val Claret), where I found a couple of reasonably priced apartments or even a hotel single room fitting my budget. A resort big enough having a few restaurants and bars. But there are not really many options for bad weather skiing in Tignes/Val d'Isere? How likely is it to have more than one blizzardy, windy or foggy day in mid Jan? Having only 5 or max 6 ski days, I would not like to miss too many days because of bad weather (of course totally unpredictable again, but are there better options?)

La Plagne/Les Arcs do have more forest skiing, but some of the villages seem to be smaller with only one or two restaurants?

3 Valleys area has more expensive accommodation or are there any chepear villages?

Avoriaz is closer to Geneva and would give me one more ski day, but finding accommodation in Avoriaz for 6 nights seems to be more difficult. And is Avoriaz/Portes du Soleil more crowded than the resorts above?

Any other suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome.

1. Serre Chevalier
2. Verbier
3. Chatel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For PdS, consider Champrey village. Public access to centre by train, direct large cable car from village to higher altitude, good mix of accommodation etc to match demand.

Tignes quite a good option.

Les Arcs 1800 also very good to meet expectations with good variety of accommodation, restaurant etc, plus really good mix of slope and tree line areas immediately surrounding village.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Verbier? Very easy indeed from inside GVA by train and télépherique right into the centre of the resort. CHF 52 (£47) Saver Day Pass from 60 days in advance from SBB (that’s each way, any train, any time on the day). Total Airport to Verbier centre transit time is 2.5-3 hours by public transport. See www.SBB.ch/en for timetable (note that CHF 29 for Saver Day pass is only with a Swiss rail half-price annual card). Set from ‘Genève-Aéroport’ to ‘Verbier (télécabine)’

Verbier is a nominal 400Kms+ ski area, but in reality, the ‘comfortable’ range from Verbier, Nendaz, Le Chable or La Tzoumaz is more like 225kms. Highest point is 3,300m with most of the slopes between 1800-2200m There are very few drags, most lifts are gondolas or chairs. The pistes are predominantly reds with a few challenging blacks, and off-piste is highly regarded. Not really a beginners area.

We usually go for three weeks end of Jan through start of Feb to our apt in La Tzoumaz, a satellite of Verbier in the 4 Vallées. Nendaz is another popular satellite with good links into the main ski area, if you’re budget-conscious. Some snowheads have stayed in the valley village of Le Chable, where the train connects with the télépherique up to Verbier. Obviously, while cheaper, you have to take the link up/back every day.

Like anywhere, January days are short and weather can be cold/snowy with flat light. Or windy compared to later in the season. But the upsides are generally more snow-sure and not skied out.

Purely as a guide, our 2-bedroom, 68m2 apartment, walk to the lifts and central to the village in La Tzoumaz would be €750/week around the time you go. Including unlimited hot water and heating and linen. No doubt too big for you and you perhaps want a hotel anyway, but hopefully an indicator. Expect to pay +30% on that for somewhere in Verbier, if not more, but it is the hub of the whole area. Our Agency and most others there are happy to rent weekday-to-weekday as it’s a growing trend - some websites aren’t set up for it but that doesn’t necessarily mean that owners are averse.

Check out your likely flights now, as there are various events in Geneva around this time that seem to have pushed air prices uncharacteristically high at odd times.

One tip, wherever you decide on: you may think that going post-NY / pre-half-terms means it will be quiet. But precisely because it is, resort offers may attract a big group e.g. a uni group or there may be some ski event on. So always check first to make sure before committing. You might welcome it, but we got caught out once when 400+ students from French medical schools arrived on their annual ski trip. It was mayhem.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 12-11-23 22:30; edited 29 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jan2000, Welcome to SHs.

If solo, I'd be looking at e.g. Morzine - if you want to find chums to ski/eat/drink with it's a bit more sociable than (I think) Verbier or Avoriaz.

Mid-Jan, assuming "normal" snowfall, you should be fine with the PdS and not need to go as far as Tignes. But you can probably leave it until a week or so before travel before making a decision
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Duplicate.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 12-11-23 20:47; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jan2000, Arc 1600 would be a good choice, half a dozen restaurants and a few bars. It is less expensive than 1800 and a bit more conveinent to get to. However, for some reason bookings even in mid January are a lot more this year than last year (probably something to do with optimistic weather forecasts). I suggest you try and tie down your plans earlier than usual, especially as you are after a midweek to midweek booking.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Geneva I think Les Gets / Morzine is a decent shout. Short transfer from the airport, the full PdS area pass is enormous, just a local pass probably be absolutely fine for a few days. Decent areas, plenty of accommodation and nightlife. Les Gets and Morzine are quite low at village level but in mid Jan I wouldn’t be concerned about it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In France, even in quiet times, travelling Tuesday - Tuesday will reduce your choice of accommodation. A lot of French places are still very wedded to Saturday changeovers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
At that time of year everywhere should have reasonable snow - if there are unusual conditions they will affect everywhere. Your prime requirement is finding somewhere with Tuesday to Tuesday accommodation so that has to be the main search parameter. And with a morning return flight there doesn't seem to be any point in going anywhere more than 2-3 hours transfer time.

Obvious possibilities for 200+km are Morzine (or another PdS resort), Flaine/Grand Massif, Verbier/4 vallees, St Gervais/Evasion Mont Blanc, or Praz-sur-Arly/Espace Diamant.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy