Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Ski break

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
my Daughter has just skiied and keen to repeat the happy experience....would Andorra in December be a a good bet as we are planning to be in Ski School mist of the time and my Wife does not Ski.
Ben
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Wife does not ski" is an ominous phrase (to be fair "husband does not ski" as well). It is a question that has been asked before and discussed in multiple threads.

I think the best advice is to ensure the non-skier is fully involved - and indeed the crucial decision-maker - in planning your next holiday. Otherwise a poor experience will be all your fault.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much Sir!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Time for some general sweeping statements that will always have exceptions :
Austria is more likely to have things for a non skier to do (as it is more likely to be a “real” town with a ski area tacked on to it)
If going before Christmas then Christmas Markets may be a valid attraction for the non skier.
What does the non skier want to do?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

What does the non skier want to do?

This is the crucial question. People vary. Some will enjoy walking or snowshoeing (suitably clothed and with good walking boots) if the weather is good, perhaps relaxing in a nice apartment, reading and preparing some welcoming meals for the skiers when the weather is bad. Many resorts have good swimming pools and spas. Others would regard that as a holiday from hell. If your wife is one of them and would prefer a warm beach, maybe she should go to Sharm el Sheikh with a friend?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BenGoldstrom wrote:
Hi,
my Daughter has just skiied and keen to repeat the happy experience....would Andorra in December be a a good bet as we are planning to be in Ski School mist of the time and my Wife does not Ski.
Ben

Yeah, definitely involve your wife in the where to go decision. My wife tried alpine skiing, gave it a good go, but after tweaking her thumb badly and realizing that she wasn't having any fun, threw in the sponge and now she's very happy to snowshoe, hike, hang out and read and XC ski if conditions are good. Would your wife be interested in XC? We've gone on about 10 trips where my wife hasn't skiied at all, and the key is to have a great setting and a "real" village. That means, most likely, that we'll never go to a purpose-built resort at high altitude en famille, as for her that would be hell.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Soldeu in Andorra is a small town to wander around, with the ski school high enough to expect reasonable snow in December (and they always make snow around then so no problem for beginners). Pas de la Casa is higher but uglier and has a reputation for student nightlife; El Tarter is lower and small, Canillo a bit too low for my taste but closer to the main city. From Soldeu it’s about 20-30 mins back down the main road to Andorra La Vella, a wealthy but small capital city. Not pretty architecture in my opinion, but it has the huge central spa and various shops.

I don’t know about Pal/Arinsal areas.
I’ve written 2-3 trip reports for El Tarter, if they help at all. I should really try somewhere else!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How old is your daughter?
I had several trips that were lovely with both my daughters, or one or them, without my wife.
If your daughter is approaching secondary school age can I make a suggestion: leave the wife at home. Do yourself a huge favour and make it yours and your daughter's trip. Then you two can choose where and when you go and you will not have the worry and nuisance of finding non-ski activities and you can enjoy the skiing and the apres you choose - the pool, ice skating, table dancing, cakes, whatever and you can choose the resort you two really want to go to.
Take her in term time too and make the trip seen really special - although not if it is an important exam year - even I had boundaries.
In fairness to my wife she then took them on trips to the Canaries.......and we found that the week off from each other was good too - absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
The solo bonding time for each of us with the girls genuinely did us good.
A couple of the best (they were all good however) was when I took the youngest to a large chalet in La Rosiere - it was just a splendid trip and she learnt more in that week about life, mixing with people and good manners and how to have a good time than ever she would have done in school. I did the same two years earlier to a chalet/hotel in La Plagne with the eldest.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The solo bonding time for each of us with the girls genuinely did us good.

We found this too. Well worth thinking about.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pasigal wrote:
BenGoldstrom wrote:
Hi,
Ben

Yeah, definitely involve your wife in the where to go decision. My wife tried alpine skiing, gave it a good go, but after tweaking her thumb badly and realizing that she wasn't having any fun, threw in the sponge and now she's very happy to snowshoe, hike, hang out and read and XC ski if conditions are good. Would your wife be interested in XC? We've gone on about 10 trips where my wife hasn't skiied at all, and the key is to have a great setting and a "real" village. That means, most likely, that we'll never go to a purpose-built resort at high altitude en famille, as for her that would be hell.

Other than hike (which is basically snowshoeing anyway) all those activities can be done just as easily at a high altitude resort than a "real" village. I get some non-skiers prefer to be based in a town and it can offer a wider choice of things to do, but I don't think it's always a given that it's better for non-skiers. As said above it really depends what the non-skier enjoys.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've noticed a lot more snow shoers, hikers and skining this year in Arc 1600. In the past you would come across them more in the area south east of Vallandry now you see them in the main ski areas. In many cases these were groups of middle aged people walking behind a ESF guide. It appears easier to organise in a dedicated ski resort rather than a town or village in the valley.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
I've noticed a lot more snow shoers, hikers and skining this year in Arc 1600. In the past you would come across them more in the area south east of Vallandry now you see them in the main ski areas. In many cases these were groups of middle aged people walking behind a ESF guide. It appears easier to organise in a dedicated ski resort rather than a town or village in the valley.

Suspect covid has played a part. Non-skiers looking to avoid in-door activities. Skiers avoiding lifts/crowded areas. There has certainly been reports that ski touring numbers are way up in a lot of places - will be interesting to see if that lasts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I don't think it's always a given that it's better for non-skiers.

Indeed. I think lots of people would prefer to be up in the mountains - preferably with a nice snowy view out of the window and somewhere to relax, in your own surroundings, fix a snack or a drink, go out for a walk/snowshoe. What I would NOT enjoy so much is having to hang around a hotel, either in my bedroom or in "public" rooms. After all, lots of people go camping, or caravanning, or boating to enjoy quiet, beautiful, places. I don't understand why people assume all "non skiers" want to be in a town and go shopping or need packaged entertainment. Non skiers are no more alike in what they want than skiers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Indeed. I think lots of people would prefer to be up in the mountains - preferably with a nice snowy view out of the window and somewhere to relax, in your own surroundings, fix a snack or a drink, go out for a walk/snowshoe. What I would NOT enjoy so much is having to hang around a hotel, either in my bedroom or in "public" rooms. After all, lots of people go camping, or caravanning, or boating to enjoy quiet, beautiful, places. I don't understand why people assume all "non skiers" want to be in a town and go shopping or need packaged entertainment. Non skiers are no more alike in what they want than skiers.

I agree. If you can find a nice hotel with a pool, or possibly better an apartment with access to a pool (MGM style in France), plus an attractive resort with other outdoor activities on offer would that fit the bill? I do think resorts are offering more and more for non skiers. This winter in St Martin, the snowshoe tracks were extensive and. we saw far more ESF guiding walks. Then there are the groomed paths where non skiers can walk, hikes up to nice mountain restaurants to meet up at lunchtime etc. Despite being keen skiers, this winter Mr P and I had occasional days “off” and went put on foot instead. It was lovely to get away from busy slopes and just take in the surroundings..bliss!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I guess one problem is when the skier wants to ski from first lift to last and isn't prepared to make any effort to enjoy some of those other activities with their partner. Or when the non-skier moans about having to entertain themselves for some of the time. There have always been selfish and needy people!! My brother in law and his wife spent several holidays with us in Les Saisies. She was a non skier. But she was an avid shopper, keen to trawl the shops for all that made-in-China-Alpine-Tat. As she picked up yet another whistling marmot costing too many euros, and he queried whether she really wanted it, she would just say "remind me again how much your ski pass cost" and he'd shut up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy