Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you find people to ski with?

Poster: A snowHead
Husband wants to ski all day, whatever the weather. I want to ski a bit in the morning, have a nice lunch then do something else in the afternoon. I don’t want to ski if it’s snowing heavily or, worse, raining and am getting a bit sick of being dragged out to ski when I don’t want to because he doesn’t want to ski alone. In the past we have skiied with friends but we don’t really know anyone who can ski well enough to keep up with us, so it doesn’t really solve the problem. Don’t like chalets so that’s not an option for finding other people to ski with either. In the past holiday companies offered ski guides where you could join a group to suit your ability. Is this still a thing? Any suggestions welcome Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Bashes snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Erm... https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52715

Or maybe...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98245
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. He’s not massively sociable…I was thinking more along the lines of a guided group. Not sure if that’s still a thing that exists.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gattabianca, I think @mozwold and @Tubaski meant for you! wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Group lessons.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bashes is the obvious answer. Contrary to initial perception you can be as gregarious or reclusive as you want but you'll never need to ski alone because you can't find anyone of appropriate level.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
guided groups more or less no longer exist, sadly*

* sadly only as I spent 3 seasons in my youth as a guide and it was a brilliant job.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
@Gattabianca, I think @mozwold and @Tubaski meant for you! wink

Haha. Yes, would be perfect for me Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
guided groups more or less no longer exist, sadly*

* sadly only as I spent 3 seasons in my youth as a guide and it was a brilliant job.

I thought this might be the case, I bet it was an amazing job. A few years ago when my son was starting to ski we took him to Puy St Vincent with Snowbizz and they still do a ski guiding service, the first time I’ve heard of it in years. I was hoping there may be, maybe smaller tour operators that still offer this.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Bashes is the obvious answer. Contrary to initial perception you can be as gregarious or reclusive as you want but you'll never need to ski alone because you can't find anyone of appropriate level.

That. I would self identify as not massively sociable myself, but find bashes great.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MGS Ski in Val Cenis still offer group guiding every afternoon I think. Sounds like it might be worth looking at for you?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go to a village where there's a British ski club. DHO in Wengen, Kandahar in Mürren, AVSC in Alpbach. I can't speak for other places, but in our village the DHO provides guiding 6 days a week and it’s very popular - multiple groups in high season including off-piste, plus lessons for kids.

http://www.downhillonly.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you definitely some options there that might work Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also Club Med as they are fully inclusive; they include ESF Lessons/Guiding for 5 days - which may suit both of you
latest report
As others have said certainly try a Bash.

As a minimum you'll get a ski holiday where you only interact with each other, so the same as just the 2 of you booking a room in any hotel. In reality between getting to the transfer bus meet point and saying "Excuse me, are you SnowHeads?"/exchanging pleasentries with those sat around you on the bus/chatting with people on your table at dinner someone will have probably invited you skiing the next day. And if that fails stand outside the boot room looking lost for more than 5 minutes and someone will normally invite you to join them.

Come the end of the week you'll have found people you get on with and share your specific skiing interests and can organise future trips with.
latest report
Also, and if none of these options come to fruition, he will surely just have to accept that dragging someone out who doesn't want to go out is pretty inconsiderate. If money is no object he could have private lessons in the afternoon? Or just be less clingy and needy and spend a few hours on his own. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I'd have traded him for a more considerate and independent model already.

However failing that, and the good suggestions above, in North America they always have resort "friends" who will show lone people around the slopes and introduce them to other people with similar needs. It's in the price of the lift ticket. They probably will be too smart to bother skiing in the rain, mind!
snow report
Get your kids to have a grandchild.
I can't wait for next break when we are taking mine, who will be 18 months with us - At 56, I finally have the excuse I need to not be first lift out/lift closure back.
snow report
My kid’s still in primary so (hopefully) waiting a while for grandkids. Mountains are lots of fun with kids that age Very Happy

Thanks all for the suggestions. I did have a look at Mark Warner previously. The hotels look lovely but the price Shocked and we wouldn’t use the lessons or the restaurant. DHO and MGS both look like they could be good solutions.
latest report
*club med hotels look lovely I mean, not Mark Warner.
snow report
@Gattabianca, check if there is a GB ski club in the resort, there tends to be some form of group social skiing each day, you will find Facebook pages for the resorts they are in, there's one in Zell which is quite active, also Meribel, Val D'isere and Whistler and other resorts, they don't do ski hosting any more but there will be people to ski, your first day is free, you have to join after.

Before anyone kicks off, I am not a member, used to be one.

You can also post on Snowheads and see if there are any in your resort looking for a ski buddy Very Happy
snow report
Another option is Snoworks. Many of their holidays have half day sessions each day. You can ski together half a day then he can do his half day with the group. Alternatively you could both do half day then he could double up with the other half day. I’ve found Snoworks, Bashes and Freshtracks to be equally sociable. Snoworks and Freshtracks generally have more options for dates and resorts
snow conditions
Quite frankly he sounds a knob and needs to stop bullying you. You say you find it difficult to find someone good enough to ski with.IF that is true why does he not want to ski on his own. I ski when my wife wants to as it's her company I enjoy if I pushed her to go when she didnt she would tell me quite rightly that I was being selfish.
If he cant find someone to ski with perhaps it shows others dont want to ski with him, stop making excuses for him
snow report
Errr….yeah he is a knob Toofy Grin

I said none of our friends are fast enough to ski comfortably with us. He could easily find people to ski with if he would stay in a chalet, go on the bashes or basically any of the other good options suggested on this thread.

I’m looking for guided ski groups because I know he will do that. Arguably he should be doing this as it’s him causing the issue but…. see my first point rolling eyes
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
Another option is Snoworks. Many of their holidays have half day sessions each day. You can ski together half a day then he can do his half day with the group. Alternatively you could both do half day then he could double up with the other half day. I’ve found Snoworks, Bashes and Freshtracks to be equally sociable. Snoworks and Freshtracks generally have more options for dates and resorts

I will have a look at Snoworks thanks
ski holidays
Snowcoach were still offering guiding when we used them about 8 years ago. It was under the premise of St Albans ski club (or something similar). All the guests could join the club for free and then you are going off on a club ski (not a tour operator offering guiding!).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 16-04-22 17:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
He's a fortunate knob, @Gattabianca wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gattabianca wrote:

I said none of our friends are fast enough to ski comfortably with us. He could easily find people to ski with if he would stay in a chalet, go on the bashes or basically any of the other good options suggested on this thread.

I’m looking for guided ski groups because I know he will do that. Arguably he should be doing this as it’s him causing the issue but…. see my first point rolling eyes

Sorry didnt mean to be rude but in hospital for major problems and being apart makes us realise that we think about each as much as possible, I would ski all day everyday but my wife wouldn't want too I've learnt to start at 10 and finish anytime she wants that gives us the best of both worlds, I'm sure a compromise is possible I would agree that skiing on your own is much fun but know others who like nothing better
snow conditions
How old is he and can't he ask himself? If he wants to make friends he needs to be brave and speak to people...
latest report
Gattabianca wrote:
Thanks. He’s not massively sociable…

So why does he want to ski with others? Puzzled Isn't that a contradiction?
snow report
[quote="robs1"]
Gattabianca wrote:
I would agree that skiing on your own is much fun...

Au contraire, I think it wouldn't be much fun Sad
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
Gattabianca wrote:
Thanks. He’s not massively sociable…

So why does he want to ski with others? Puzzled Isn't that a contradiction?

He doesn’t want to ski with others, he wants to ski with me. But he wants to ski for longer than I do.

@Hurdy He doesn’t want to make friends. I want him to make friends to ski with when I get tired/bored. He doesn’t want to deal with people he doesn’t know. That is literally the problem.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
He's a fortunate knob, @Gattabianca wink

Well, I think so Madeye-Smiley
latest report
[quote="Bergmeister"]
robs1 wrote:
Gattabianca wrote:
I would agree that skiing on your own is much fun...

Au contraire, I think it wouldn't be much fun Sad

That's what I I meant it to say should proof read
snow conditions
Gattabianca wrote:

@Hurdy He doesn’t want to make friends. I want him to make friends to ski with when I get tired/bored. He doesn’t want to deal with people he doesn’t know. That is literally the problem.

Bring him on a bash. Then you make friends to ski with in the morning, and drag him along with you. This bit is really easy - if you are around the boot room in the morning, then there will be people to join. Whenever you're done, you head back and by then he's realised that (most) sHs don't bite?
snow report
Until they realize he’s that selfish old miseryguts from @Gattabianca’s thread…
ski holidays
We're all jumping to conclusions here. It's Easter Day. Let's be charitable. Perhaps he's just shy and retiring.
latest report
It’s Easter. Tis the season for the baying mob to crucify innocent and well meaning people Smile
snow conditions
Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy