Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoid ...Crit-Air.fr... and other fraudulent sites when buying French environmental vignettes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am normally more skeptical Embarassed Confused Mad

Having not heard anything about it - if you are travelling in the Haute Savoie, as of October it's now a zone for air quality protection. Unconvinced if this will really help air quality but the upshot is that on days when air quality metrics and rules have been reached, there are progressive measures to be applied, one of which is that you need to display the appropriate "vignette" for your vehicle's EU pollution status (based as much on the age of the vehicle as anything else). Not doing so could mean being stopped or fined, etc. It is yet to be seen whether this will actually happen.

Someone helpfully pointed this out and as the idea of being stopped (or fined) could potentially be a bit of a pain, I followed the link and bought my vignette for ~€29.

I didn't even think it might not be completely kosher.

Anyway, it then turns out that the site I used .https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html. (hopefully edited to break link) is a bit of a scam - just not enough to raise the usual instincts (esp. as I had never heard of this and €29 for an official doc is not totally ridiculous).

Anyway, it turns out that if you go to the official French Gov site, they sell them for €3.70 + postage (in Suisse, then, €4.80).

Real site here https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/demande/cgu if you have French plates, or here https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/fr/demande-ext/cgu if yer furrin'.

Not the end of the world, but really annoying. I tried to cancel the order but they cunningly oblige you to opt out of EU cancellation rights). I'm still going to raise a credit card complaint.

Grrrr!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-12-17 18:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, Bad Luck. There are quite a few similar websites which charge considerably more than the "official" website for various services e.g US ESTA form application, EHIC application etc. I believe these companies often pay Google to advertise so their listing appears at the top before the "official" website in the Google listing. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked not like you to be caught out. The official French service is pretty speedy when sending to the UK now, better than last year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perhaps the real URL to use could be linked in this thread?
and bork the fake URL so it doesn't link to the fake site?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, I was slightly panicky what with xmas disruption. Can't believe I'm the only one round here who know nothing about it. I've seen other examples of similar but almost invariably the costs are so high you have to question them (or you know in advance the service should be free). I think I actually have seen one cutting and paasting the official site saying, "this is a free service, pay no money" and then continuing with the card request...

@Yoda, No Embarassed

@andy, think I fixed it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Am I right in thinking this still only applies to driving in (not around) certain cities-so for us French alps skiers- Lyon and Grenoble ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Perty, entirety of Haute- and not Savoie potentially affected...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Map:
https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/de/map/frankreichalle_147000?scaleControl=false&miniMap=false&scrollWheelZoom=true&zoomControl=true&allowEdit=false&moreControl=false&searchControl=null&tilelayersControl=null&embedControl=null&onLoadPanel=undefined&captionBar=false#6/49.110/3.472
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Perty, have a look at the other Snowheads thread on this subject...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=129956&highlight=
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy