Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motor home parking in or near Les 3 Vallies

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, is there a camping ground or place to park a moto home overnight near or in one of the villages in Les 3 Vallies in the winter months.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes in Les Menuires and also in Le Raffort just below Meribel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your answer. Have located those parking areas on a maps app. Four of us are flying into Geneva from NZ in 2023 and renting a motorhome to travel to Les 3 vallees, La Plagne, Les Arc, Val d’Isere, Chamonix, Verbier and Zermatt. Any suggestions for either freedom camping or pay camping sites in these other ski areas as close as possible to the lift systems. Cheers Michael
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Menuires but be careful with your dates, the aire is often full, a good time to arrive is the day the French school holidays end.

Check out winterised.com for more parking locations. There are nice Aires in St Gervais Les Bains and the Portes de Soleil too. Some ski resorts tolerate a bit of overnight parking, some will only allow stays in designated aires and caravaneiges.

May also be worth picking up the book All the Aires - South, it's not especially expensive and some of the aires are not well known.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Moiki12, There's a newly-refurbed aire at the foot of the Serre Chevalier lift station in Le Monetier-les-Bains. Couldn't get much closer to the lifts. Also a privately owned site in the Village of Villeneuve in the same ski area.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also: The La Plagne aire is ski in ski out, but it should be pre booked and is on the pricey side (€22/night).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Moiki12, out of the two, the parking site at les menuires is the more convenient one for skiing, as it is in walking distance from the centre of town, and near enough ski in and ski out. whereas, Le raffort is a satellite village of Meribel, further down the mountain towards Moutiers and you either need to use the Le raffort bubble, or the (free) intervillage buses.

the only thing i would add, is that you cannot seem to pre-book the les menuires parking site, so will be taking a risk that it is full when you arrive.

Full disclaimer, i have not used either of these sites, but have worked in Meribel and regularly stay in les menuires, but am planning a trip in a few years time in a mobile home and have looked into these sites.

FWIW, the campsite most people rave about is the one in bourg-saint-maurice, that is close to the funicular to access les arcs directly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. We intend to arrive on 4 January which I see falls outside the French Christmas holiday period so hopefully we should have little difficulty finding a place to park.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A few other things to consider: if it's a rental motorhome is it properly equipped for the Alps - you absolutely must have snow chains or snow socks that fit it as a lot of these resorts are high and well inside compulsory chainage areas when there's snowfall. Ideally it would have both winter tyres and snowchains.

Heating is obviously a must, it's generally pretty easy to find LPG for either fillable tanks or to replace a cylinder. A lot of people also take generators as a backup particularly if they don't have much solar capacity. It is possible to get snowed in from time to time.

If the motorhome has underslung water tanks be aware that the pipes tend to freeze overnight.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, aware of the need for chains etc. We have our own motor home in Christchurch NZ and use it in the mountains for skiing. We have used an Indie camper a few years ago and will be hiring an Atlas or similar. Indie provide chains. But thanks for the advice. I used to ski guide for a British chalet company in La Plagne in the 1980’s and lived in Plagne Village so know the region well. However don’t know the parking places in the region
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool you'll be set up well then - mentioned it because we hire out our own motorhome and people vary in how prepared they are!

Definitely recommend winterised and the aires book for solid recommendations on parking, a bit more reliable than park4night.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lol, we have been using park4night when we tripped around Europe in the summer of 2019. Found it to be excellent and now that you have mentioned those parking places, I’ve located them on p4night. Still, will get hold of those books. Cheers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are 5 car parks in Val Thorens 2300, P0, P1, P2, P3, P4. P2 offers covered and uncovered parking, with the uncovered parking offering accessibility for motorhomes.

P0: Maximum Height 2.20m
P1: Maximum Height 1.85m
P2 (Covered): Maximum Height 2.14m
P2 (Uncovered): No Maximum Height
P3 (Uncovered): No Maximum Height
P4 (Uncovered): No Maximum Height
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info Ricky B. Getting some great info from the messaging on this site. Cheers Michael
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's a huttopia at Bourg. I've not used it yet.

I've also capfun campsite site at the far end of La Clusaz. It's a great site and it has an indoor swimming pool as well Eh oh! La Clusaz "tolerate" a bit of wild camping......we arrived late and camped in our T5 in the empty Balme car park and had an amazing nights sleep.....woke up to a full car park of skiiers and had to wake the kids up. Capfun have a couple of sites in the Alps.

Not quite 3 Valleys but other options
snow report
Hello, thanks so far for the valuable information. Whilst it is a fair way off that we trip to France and Switzerland to ski, we figure that those who respond to me are/have recently parked up in or near the ski areas we intend to visit.
Mapsme has useful info and the recommendation to purchase a copy of aAll the Aires will give us ideas. In the meantime any ideas re Verbier and Zermatt? Cheers Michael
snow conditions
Moiki12 wrote:
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. We intend to arrive on 4 January which I see falls outside the French Christmas holiday period so hopefully we should have little difficulty finding a place to park.

Arriving then would put you in the middle of the New Year week hordes.
Try asking on the resort specific threads in 'Snow Reports' for parking data.
snow conditions
You would need to book for that period. I know you can book at La Plagne.
latest report
Moiki12 wrote:
Hello, thanks so far for the valuable information. Whilst it is a fair way off that we trip to France and Switzerland to ski, we figure that those who respond to me are/have recently parked up in or near the ski areas we intend to visit.
Mapsme has useful info and the recommendation to purchase a copy of aAll the Aires will give us ideas. In the meantime any ideas re Verbier and Zermatt? Cheers Michael

Zermatt is car free. There's campsites over in Lauterbrunnen though or down in Interlaken etc and train up. I think theres a campsite in Tasch as well but not sure if in winter or not. No idea on Verbier sorry.
snow conditions
We’ve stayed at the La Plagne Villages site a few times and love it, great access and hook up. You can’t stay in Val D’Isere as far as I’m aware and heard they are quite strict at moving Motorhomes on, but you can stay in Tignes Les Breviere as ski across to Val D. This is just a basic car though (and free), you can dispose of waste and get water from the village but you need to be self sufficient on power.

Friends have stayed somewhere in Switzerland but not sure where.

Re La Plagne (afaik) they allow half the pitches to be booked in advance and keep half the pitches to be used on a first come basis.
snow conditions
We stayed in the Huttopia in Bourg SM mentioned above, when it was privately owned . Its not near the funicular up to the ski area but they had a shuttle bus that took you to the funicular and back. The site has the advantage of being at 800m so not too cold, and walking distance to a supermarket.

There's also a good campsite in Samoens within walking distance of the airport lifts.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Cheers Michael
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy