Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter in France

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking (once again) for a ski resort during the second Easter week (16 till 23 April)
I am not asking where i could find the best snow conditions etc.
But which of the high resort is better for a week with small children? (ager 4 and 6, both can relativ good skiing, but mostly wide blue slopes)
Les2Alpes? Tignes? La Plagne ? Menuires?
until now i have some interesting offers from these.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My sense is that it hasn't been a spectacular year snow wise. I'd be interested in the forum experience of what this means... does there tend to be a clear correlation between early season and late season weather, or is it unrelated other than there not being a thick base laid down?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So...we decided for the first time to head to France for one week.
Unfortunately the only week that it is possible is 16 till 23 April.
I have some informations and i know (approximately) where, why etc
However i have some specific questions :
i am searching something in Tignes (or Valdisere), Ald d Huez, Les2Alpes, Lesmenuires, Avoriaz or La Plagne. I am open to every of these....But :
Which is the best for children?
Except that, i know that most of the french ski resorts are purpose built. I do not except a village as Kitzbühel. But which of these above is a little bit better for something outside skiing? I know that Avoriaz or Tigens have a pool. Is there something like that in the other? and have these places a little bit "village" feeling? i mean some stores, to walk around, cafe, etc.
I dont want to go somewhere where there are only appartments and lifts. In such case shall i delete Menuires or Plagne ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@turms2, Plenty of shops and a big sports centre in Les Menuires. I would pick Tignes or Val Thorens for the snow but I don't have children.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great outdoor pool in Alpe D'Huez and nice village to walk around, plus the high altitude cable car access and plenty of piste within skill set, you'll need to check the snow now before booking as it's usually very sunny there. A very good mix for your question.

Tignes possibly has the most extensive skiing available late into season end, plenty to walk around although not classic old buildings, it has a nice mountain setting.

I'd be happy with either of those.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@turms2, maybe my family is different but.... we didn't/don't really need anything else apart from apartments and lifts.

Each ski station will have cafe, restaurant, bar, patisserie anyway but we mostly didn't/don't use them.

We skied with our children from 3 years old, they are now 14 & 16. When they were little would ski most of the day, then play in the snow and then have tea, cake, biscuits. Then shower, cook and eat dinner and chill before bed.

Occasionally by luck or by judgement there would be a pool available. But we used it maybe twice a week at most. But the times we didn't have it, we didn't miss it.

Whilst French resorts are mostly purpose built they are not all ugly or lacking in ambience. IMO anyway.

Of the resorts you mention we've been ADH several times, although we always stayed in Oz-en-Oisans because it's smaller, more accessible and good lifts to get into the skiing area. The problem with ADH later season is it has a sunny aspect so can get slushy. The week you are going will be the last week of opening. LDA is a marmite resort (been there one day) and I don't think works so well with young children. Les Menuires I really like and I am planning to go there week 9th to 16th April. Stayed in area La Croisette last time and will probably do the same because of the convenience of getting the lifts out in the morning. I don't like morning faff. Les M gives good access to the upper Val T and Meribel valleys where people most time at this time of the season.

Avoriaz I've not been but is supposed to be great for families - car free, easy access to the slopes and I believe snow holds up well late season. La Plagne we go to a lot. Solid option. Tignes/Val D - great intermediate/advanced skiing area. Personally convenience and family skiing wise it's not a top option. There is a big pool/slide centre in Tignes Le Lac so if a big thing for you....

Any more questions fire away.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Honestly i dont need all these for the chindren...we will also visit the pool 2 or 3 max in a week.
But the cafes, bistro etc is more for me...i love after skiing a little bit walking, eating etc...and i do not mean sonething fancy....
However...
I suppose Espace Killy is not the best optiion, and also LDA...i will keep that on mind...thanks...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
until now i think Menuires ist the best option : many blues, not so expensive, swimming pool, many facilities....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tignes val Claret would be OK (be aware that there are other "Tignes" places which are lower down, e.g. Tignes Brevieres). Plenty of cafés and bars etc to visit. Lots of lifts going up - including the funicular straight up to the Grand Motte glacier. "Glacier" doesn't mean difficult skiing - though it does mean T-bars. And it's spectacular up there on a sunny day, on the top of the world, surrounded by mountains. Restaurant right outside the exit from the funicular.

Tignes has a big centre with a pool.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't know Tignes very well, but there are Snowheads who do, and could advise you on the details, for example the exact location of accommodation.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Tignes val Claret would be OK (be aware that there are other "Tignes" places which are lower down, e.g. Tignes Brevieres). Plenty of cafés and bars etc to visit. Lots of lifts going up - including the funicular straight up to the Grand Motte glacier. "Glacier" doesn't mean difficult skiing - though it does mean T-bars. And it's spectacular up there on a sunny day, on the top of the world, surrounded by mountains. Restaurant right outside the exit from the funicular.

Tignes has a big centre with a pool.

Agree (realised that this is what I meant, having stayed in Val Claret) has everything you'd need really. That high altitude access is really easy too and especially useful if snow is a little lacking in ski areas generally. Plenty to walk around and between Claret and Lac areas, it's a huge shallow bowl shape with exemplary access to the things you're asking.

Alpe D'Huez does have a nice feel to it evening time (I've stayed right in centre there in hotel Ours Blanc ) with that lovely feel of being right up high in alpine environment, velvety blue night sky and really crisp clean air Very Happy outdoor pools are superb in this atmosphere too, the one there is right in village centre.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From Tignes i have some (summer) expriences....The T-Lifts for the children are not a problem at all. They are excited with T Lifs because the take them as pair and the find it funny...

Well i think that most of these resorts are appropriate. I will leave it "last minute" and check out the prices / availability / snow conditions and book something mid March...
I think mit Avoriaz, Tignes, LesMenuires or AlpdHuez i can not go wrong.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I will leave it "last minute" and check out the prices / availability / snow conditions and book something mid March...

Good idea. I hope you have a super trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks...i hope that too...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are going skiing with similar aged children (5 and 7) the same week. We’ve chosen Val Thorens - although it on your list - it met all our criteria for ski in-ski out and ease of apartment to ski school in the mornings! And lifts are open until May whereas Les menuires closes on 22/4.

I’m a bit gutted the sports centre is closed for refurbishment but looks like we’ll be able to get to Les Menuires easily enough in the afternoons.

We’ve been to alpe d’huez in early April and if you can get up on the glacier / higher slopes it’s lovely. We went with beginners who struggled as the nursery slopes were pretty much green by then! So not ideal with little ones as lots of tramping about in ski boots.

I love portes du soleil but most of the slopes in the Morzine and Les gets sectors would be closed and I think when I looked into it the shuttle buses didn’t offer such a. Good service later in the season? I might be imaging that tho!
latest report
I've been to all the usual suspects, plus less usual ones.

Tignes is by far the best, from the ones you mention. Langer proportion of slopes over 2000 and not directly in the sun; compared to L3V. Mountaineering atmosphere, compared to Benidorm in the snow.

L2A sucks. AdH much better.

La Plagne reasonable, but short slopes due to small height difference. Les Arcs better.

Also consider Cervinia, one of best resorts in spring. Almost everything over 2000, max 3900, spectacular setting, resort with 80 years ski history.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy