Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please - crit air

Poster: A snowHead
I’m after some help please. We’re due to drive to La Plagne on Friday and have only just found out about the Crit Air sticker. Obviously it’s too late to apply now. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I was hoping it’s something we can buy in France but so far haven’t found any info online. Any advice greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you likely to be driving through any of the affected city areas?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 23-03-22 16:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You don't need unless you are going through certain city centres. Normal route from Calais I'd have thought you wouldn't.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not planning to go through Lyon. Just wondering about the area around Chambery.
I did see the vignette shop and thought if no other option I might go with that. Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless you drive through Chambery it is not required as you will just use the motorway which is not included in the crit air section - it only covers a small section on the middle of the town

https://www.environmentalbadge.com/ecological-zone-chambery/

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 23-03-22 13:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok thanks so much for your replies. I think we should be ok then
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avoid the f@ckers like the plague.
It's a complete scam.

It costs €4.51 for a foreign vehicle.

See the legit site:
https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you apply via @WindOfChange, 's link, you will get a confirmation email that you can print off and take with you. If you are travelling via Grenoble, there may be some need for it as there are some ecolanes in place on the A48 in the direction of Grenoble from Lyon. However, sounds like it is un-necessary for your trip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As WindOfCHange says, as with similar government stuff, beware the intermediaries that have popped-up who charge you for their 'service' - basically collecting the same information you'd type in on the official website, and then transcribing it into the official form.

What catches people is that when you do a Google search for Crit'Air, the official site often doesn't come at the top of the search results list: Far more money to be made by Google and the intermediary if you can be fooled into just clicking on the first link in the list.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LaForet, same happened with EHIC in the UK a few years ago.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

What catches people is that when you do a Google search for Crit'Air, the official site often doesn't come at the top of the search results list

I find it's rare that anything you want comes out top of the search results list. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

What catches people is that when you do a Google search for Crit'Air, the official site often doesn't come at the top of the search results list

I find it's rare that anything you want comes out top of the search results list. wink

Except of course snowHeads! Toofy Grin snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having not been to France for a few years I was unaware of this. Week after next I'm staying overnight in Annecy, my hotel is within the crit air zone. I think a petrol hire car doesn't need a sticker unless there's a pollution alert, is that right? If that is the case do you know which site I'd use to check pollution alerts? Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
grumpygargoyle wrote:
Having not been to France for a few years I was unaware of this. Week after next I'm staying overnight in Annecy, my hotel is within the crit air zone. I think a petrol hire car doesn't need a sticker unless there's a pollution alert, is that right? If that is the case do you know which site I'd use to check pollution alerts? Thanks in advance.

The car hire company are responsible for the crit air stickers as they are provided to the owner of the car. Maybe speak to your hire company and see what they say as they may need to supply you with a suitable car.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @andmelffion, I'm hiring from the Swiss side in Geneva so that'll complicate matters. Perhaps the solution is to park outside the zone and walk in!
ski holidays
You wait until you hear about the UK stickers, spare bulbs, breathalyser, etc. Most of which is bollox.
snow report
If you have normal/halogen headlamps (not the LED units of course) having a spare bulb is entirely sensible, regardless of whether the French law says it is required or not. We had a headlight bulb go on our last run through France to Swiszerland at HT. As I had a spare, it was no headache to change.
UK sticker is a two or three quid fix, ridiculous as the whole thing is.

Our critair sticker just disappeared with the broken windscreen that was replaced yesterday Sad. Having looked at the maps, I'm not going to replace it for our Easter trip as won't be passing through Grenbole, and you miss the Lyon and Reims zones entirely unless you divert into the city centre.

The Swiss Vignette also went with the windscreen but I've been able to peel that off, in pieces. I gather if you present the trashed sticker and your windscreen replacement receipt at the border the Swiss will replace it for you.
Managed to get the doofer holder off too and stick that in the new one with a sticky pad.
snow report
Jomerrifield wrote:
I’m after some help please. We’re due to drive to La Plagne on Friday and have only just found out about the Crit Air sticker. Obviously it’s too late to apply now. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I was hoping it’s something we can buy in France but so far haven’t found any info online. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I’m off to La Plagne tomorrow too!

Does anybody have any last minute suggestions / warnings / considerations?

I think I know the answer to this one, If I have AWD and full winter tyres, do you think I’ll need snowchains? I’m minded to leave them behind as I’m going late March 2022. Earlier in the season I take them just in case. I’m not going to enjoy losing 2mm of winter tyre tread on the motorway with these temps!
snow conditions
Sasha320320 wrote:
Jomerrifield wrote:

I’m off to La Plagne tomorrow too!

Does anybody have any last minute suggestions / warnings / considerations?

I think I know the answer to this one, If I have AWD and full winter tyres, do you think I’ll need snowchains? I’m minded to leave them behind as I’m going late March 2022. Earlier in the season I take them just in case. I’m not going to enjoy losing 2mm of winter tyre tread on the motorway with these temps!

If I've already got chains I'd always take them, you never know conditions, and pray for snowfall Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks (3cm snow ‘predicted’ for Weds crossed fingers it happens!)

Would anyone hazard a guess what time on Saturday pm / eve will the changeover slog up the mountain ease up?
latest report
Prediction if it's bright and sunny conditions (no uncontrolled holdup) then by 14.00 to 15.00 it's often clear of static holding jams.

It'll still be coming down though in opposite direction to you (not generally affecting you going up) I've seen queuing right through from Moutier to Bourg st Maurice and people sunbathing on top of their cars to get out of valley.

Contingency, research D88 (just after leaving Moutier) through Notre-Dame-Du-Prè village that gets past main traffic route and is convenient for LP destination. It avoids significant traffic at Aime turnoff. It's twisty but usually without much traffic and a route more often used by some smaller transfer co when really sticky.

Coming down again, get through the main tunnels on route to Moutiers by about 8.30 else you'll be with everyone else queuing. Or ski the day and miss the main rush Very Happy
ski holidays
Brill, thank you. I’ll be leaving Geneva circa 2pm.

Good tip on Notre Dame du Pre.

Any views on whether D1508 (Annecy) or A41 (Chambery) is a better bet?

(Whether leaving or arriving)
snow report
Much of a muchness on a Saturday, but I prefer the D1508 down along the lake.

Route A41 to jnct 16 then use "parking stade nautique" as way finder on satnav, the entrance of which is on D1508 this will take you past the centre of Annecy from autoroute down to lake and usually not too busy.

A41 further but swift road speed wise, but often significant traffic on it and autoroute around Chambery.

The D1508 has advantage of absolutely stunning views of the lake, if a bit draggy for traffic there's plenty of boulangerie etc to stop at. Ordinarily ok traffic wise for the time you're going through on arrival. I love this route into the mountains, there's majestic pollarded lime trees, incredible azure water and mountain backdrop to look at. Never fails to raise good feelings of arriving to the alpine region.
latest report
To reiterate, if you apply and pay on line through https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/ you will receive an email which, whilst you are waiting for your sticker to arrive by snail mail, will be a force field to protect you from the forces of law and order.
snow report
ski3 wrote:
Much of a muchness on a Saturday, but I prefer the D1508 down along the lake.

Route A41 to jnct 16 then use "parking stade nautique" as way finder on satnav, the entrance of which is on D1508 this will take you past the centre of Annecy from autoroute down to lake and usually not too busy.

A41 further but swift road speed wise, but often significant traffic on it and autoroute around Chambery.

The D1508 has advantage of absolutely stunning views of the lake, if a bit draggy for traffic there's plenty of boulangerie etc to stop at. Ordinarily ok traffic wise for the time you're going through on arrival. I love this route into the mountains, there's majestic pollarded lime trees, incredible azure water and mountain backdrop to look at. Never fails to raise good feelings of arriving to the alpine region.

Great - thank you! Eh oh!
snow report
Thanks to those who suggested applying through the official site. I’ve now done that and received my confirmation email so all set to go
latest report
On a Saturday, the D908(a) down the Eastern shore is a few mins quicker than the main D1508 (Western route). There are fewer boulangeries, less traffic, it's maybe even more scenic.
A couple of times (going back to GVA) approaching Doussard (Southern end of the lake) I saw other transfer vans turning right to take the Eastern route, while I took the D1508. On each time they had already unloaded their pax and by the time I got to the airport. After that I started going that way too.

Both are better than the Autoroute

Same / less time , less fuel, less tolls, more scenic - you're on holiday right ?
snow report
I always did the eastern shore of the Lake. There's a beautifully-situated café right down on the shore at Menthon St Bernard and a very pleasant (and wheelchair friendly) walk along to the "plage".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds good. Round the lake it is!
latest report
when did all this start? I was in France last October and drove through Paris, Tour, Bourdeaux, Biaritiz and back up again without issue?
next week I'm driving down to Toulon and was thinking about a 2 day stop in L2A which means going through Grenoble, is it a number plate recognition thing or only if you're pulled over?
snow conditions
@Noakes, only if pulled over
ski holidays
@Layne, cheer's...
latest report
Noakes wrote:
when did all this start?

3 or 4 years ago.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy