Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Delta Angles?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've read in various places that the delta angles for different bindings can vary significantly, but I can't find anything anywhere to explain whether or not this matters or how to find what the best delta angle for an individual might be. I'm using Dynastar SpeedZone 14 skis with the R22 plate and Look SPX12 bindings, which I think have a fairly average delta. On a recent ski trip my instructor mentioned that he had shims under the toe on his bindings and that it helped get his weight forward. I could do with getting my weight a bit more forward, so wondering if it's worth trying shims or if there's a way of working out the ideal delta first?

PS - Yes I know I'm blaming my equipment and I just need to try harder, but these things interest me!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Valkyrie, I’m really sensitive to delta, but some people apparently hardly notice it. You can check it yourself, by putting your boot in your ski and measuring vertically from the ski edge to the base of the boot, at the centre of the toe and heel sections (there will be a post on here somewhere from @Spyderjon explaining how to do it properly). I believe that, in most cases, a standard alpine boot in an alpine binding will give a delta of zero, i.e. the front and back heights are the same, so if that’s what you normally ski, that is what you will be used to.

If you use a touring boot in a binding with an adjustable AFD (like the Shift or Marker F10/F12), then you will move the AFD down from the alpine position. This drops your toes slightly, but geometry means that it’s more noticeable if you have smaller feet. It makes my thighs burn like fire, so I have some 6mm shims that will fit under the toes of my Shifts, should I want to use them with my touring boots. Different boot/binding combos will give different results. I think you can only really add shims to bindings with separate toe and heel pieces though.

You probably need more data before you can figure this out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Valkyrie,

Why do you want to get your weight more forward?

The idea is to be centered.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stewart woodward, more forward from being too far back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy a Pivot, be at Zero, mount at recommended, do the rest of the work in the boot.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy