Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jones base still dry after waxing? Wax again?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

A month ago I applied wax to my board and today scraped it off as we're going away at the weekend. I expected the base to look 'nourished' but it still looks a bit dry I haven't brushed etc yet. There are also some obvious 'watermarks' that appeared after cleaning and have not disappeared after waxing. It did look a bit dry when new, I assumed it was because the factory wax only lasts so long in storage and it was last year's model. Since buying I took it to MK snowdome for 2 hours and then cleaned it with a Demon citrus base cleaner, gave it a gentle brush down with a brillo type pad and then hot waxed, leaving it coated until now. The edges were quite worn after the snowdome and now mostly look the same as the rest of the base.

I didn't really want to wax again but probably just about have time to do another layer with everything else I need to do before we go. Is it worth it, I'm not sure if this is a normal finish for Jones boards?

Equipment I have at my disposal, if it matters:
Iron + wax
scraper
nylon brush
2 grades of abrasive brillo type pad
cork if needs be
Zardoz

The close-ups make it look worse than it is to be fair, the picture with the J is more representative.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@silentice, I'm a skier but I think the principles are the same. The base cleaners are too strong IMHO, I tend to hot wax and hot scrape to clean the base and haven't used a base cleaner unless doing a repair.

I'd suggest do a couple of waxes and scrapes to try and load it up a bit more, some great info here (inc his hotbox if you want someone else to do it ) https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/tuning-guide/9-base-tuning
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those pics just look like residual wax not wear. If you scrape a fingernail over it do you pick up more wax. If so don't worry about it - it will wear off first couple of runs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
@silentice, I'm a skier but I think the principles are the same. The base cleaners are too strong IMHO, I tend to hot wax and hot scrape to clean the base and haven't used a base cleaner unless doing a repair.

I'd suggest do a couple of waxes and scrapes to try and load it up a bit more, some great info here (inc his hotbox if you want someone else to do it ) https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/tuning-guide/9-base-tuning

This. Avoid using the base cleaners as then can strip the wax from deep within the ridges of the base. Jf that has happened you will need 2-3 cycles of hot waxing to re-saturate the base. If you have time definitely do another wax. And in future clean the bases with a hot wax - where you scrape the wax off when still warm - followed by a final regular wax cycle where you allow the wax to fully cool before scraping.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@silentice, Is that a sintered base or just P-Tex ?
I ask because Mrs WoC got a razzy new Jones Board this season with a sintered base - it's lovely.
After the first few used she got it serviced professionally, and it rode nicely, but we didn't inspect closely how shiny it was.
Not to be outdone I self-serviced my Endeavour board, (P-tex) generous amount of wax the lots of scraping and hard brushing (really lots), and finally shone it with a fine soft brush ( and it was shiny).
Next time we rode my board was so smooth that I could butter it on the rough rolling magic carpets at the start of chair lifts.
She asked me to do the same with her board.
Before I did anything I looked at the base, and it felt nice and smooth, but not shiny.
It looks very much like yours.
Hopefully some expert will come along and explain this - is it over-structured from the factory (is that even a thing)?
Really I'm no expert, but I have waxed lots of snowboards ( 5 boards every 2 weeks for many years), and normally if I put enough time (and drink beers in the man cave) into it I can get them to shine.
I waxed, scraped and brushed the bejeasus out of the Jones board, and even though I got it a lot shinier I could not get it to glisten like my board.
From what I used to think I understood, fancy bases with graphite or sintering meant that the inter molecular spaces were smaller, so it was theoretically possible to get a smoother finish - maybe there's some hidden gene inside me that physically prevents me from making her board as shiny as mine.
We are not racers or anything, so it's not the end of the world, and I normally attribute my going faster on the flats to being heavier Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, thanks for the link, from this seems like more wax scrape cycles are needed on a new board. Ah well, luckily I don't have much work on today Little Angel

Quote:

on new skis repeat the wax/cool/scrape & brush steps as many times as possible as the base needs 'loading up' with wax to give protection & speed.

I didn't intend to use the cleaner every time but wanted to remove the factory wax/dust/etc. I didn't realise it would need more than one round of wax though. Hot scraping sounds interesting (and messy), I might need a proper wax iron for that, I had a hard time spreading with my travel iron, perhaps the temp was too low. Guessing that didn't help absorption either.

@WindOfChange, This has a sintered 7000 base I believe, which is the minimum spec for Jones AFAIK. I wasn't going for shiny but just expected the colours to look deeper and more uniform. I'm not a racer either but would be good if the job lasts the week and doesn't leave the board exposed to get damaged unnecessarily.

Quote:

maybe there's some hidden gene inside me that physically prevents me from making her board as shiny as mine.
Laughing

@Dave of the Marmottes, There defo was/is some residual wax, I did brush a small section (the end in the photo) before posting and I think you can see it still looks dry along with the strange marks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@silentice, Just looked up Spec of Mrs WoC Air-Heart and its a Sintered 8000 base.
Apart from it being purple, when we got it it looked just like your base with those streaks.
Rides nicely though Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@silentice, ah…you went to a snowdome…..with a Jones….hmmmm. There might be the issue.

The type of snow at Snowdomes is amazingly abrasive (icy, granular). You need a VERY hard wax when you go to snowdomes.

You can readily scour bases and get bad baseburn. We have experience of Jones sintered bases (Mind Expander). It was for sure not looking like yours.

The dull appearance is likely PTEX microhairs, and that will only be resolved with something radical - a base grind. If not that, hot wax and warm scrape with a metal scraper - being very very careful not to dig a corner into the base. Not base cleaners. Then we use Butta wax as a running wax in the hills.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@silentice, I never had too much of a problem getting my Jones Flagship base back to what you'd expect, but i'm wondering if you're not getting decent enough was penetration into the base. I first started with one of those eco soy-based waxes and it was, frankly, horrible. Worked fine on the wifes skis but it set like concrete on the board, and it was because i wasn't getting the board hot enough to get the wax to flow into the base properly. Since then I've changed to a different wax and slowed down my ironing a bit, and use more of a crayoning technique rather than a drip pour method, the whole process is much easier and I get a better result.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a last-season Jones Hovercraft and it *really* needed a wax after its first 3 days in January. It then needed another wax after 3 days. Both times it was slowing up and looking like yours. I'm hoping after two waxes in close succession it should be OK for a bit now!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you cant afford to do it right with a £50 1000w iron then keep listening to the house iron brigade.
Its all about the heat ..A stable heat ....no matter the size board .cold or warm wax or room temp .

The story is the same .
You either wake up get with the program or you dont and as you stated ....you were going to turn up the heat on that junker iron which is when the trouble starts.

The junker iron has no base thickness its 3mm ,it has a junk thermostat it will never work holding a stable temp ...ever...let alone in a cold room with cold temp wax and you will hot spot the base effectively melting the very pores shut ....that your trying to open and fill with wax !

That means your at mug factor 10 out of 10 if you melt the pores shut ...its the house iron that will cause this .

Spend £50 or even less ...thats it ...thats all it takes .

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 21-03-22 19:13; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Even decathlon has a Vola iron under 40 but its probably lower watt I dont really know although the alloy base looks thick.

When decathlon sells ski gear thats better than what your using ..its really saying something .

I found a Toko 800w online for £32 with a quick look.

All the same I wouldnt bother with anything other than a 1000w from Jons piste office (or a older 4200) and you could get a few needed items shipped with it .

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 10-03-22 20:07; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tirol 164, where did OP say it was a junker iron? I saw travel iron, but the one I've got was marketed as that simply because it has folding handles.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The op needs a real iron to do a real job.

It doesnt matter what he or you or I say ..its how it works .

Sure you can cut corners .

I can sell you a frying pan if you like its not far off the same level as the conversation on travel irons
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tirol 164, yes and there are wax irons which are marketed as travel irons, I got mine from Jon and it was labelled as a travel option but it still has the thick base and decent stable temp.

Just strikes me that you're giving quite a bit of attitude, mouthing off about junker irons and calling the OP a mug, when friendly advice is all that's needed.
latest report
You can read it however you wish too either way a real iron has no equal so you either buy into that or you dont .
It didnt strike me the op has .

I havent seen a 1000w folding iron in the flesh but did see the one you mention once previously online either way ,today right now £50 gets you the real thing .

At some point the penny drops although with many only doing shorter trips couple times a season ....this may never happen .

Depends if you want to do it better or stay where you are and not progress

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 21-03-22 19:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

you went to a snowdome…..with a Jones

I know.. I know.. really wanted to play with my new toys! If it needs a grind so soon then lesson learned and I won't take it again.

Quote:

with many only doing shorter trips couple times a season this may never happen

Hit the nail on the head there. Thanks for the honesty, if a tad aggressive I get what you're saying. I'll take it on board and I'm going away on Saturday so no chance of rectifying any equipment choices now. I'll be surprised if it even has a 3mm base! FWIW I didn't want to commit to buying more junk if I was only going to end up getting it done in resort anyway, and 90% of the guides I saw used a household iron (including the company's own material from the wax I'm using, Butta).

Equipment aside, I think it's entirely down to technique, as has been alluded to. We all learn. Over lunch I sacrificed the household iron (probably used it 3 times in 4 years so maybe thats a strong word) and did a hot scrape, it came off clean and it's already looking better from that. The areas that I was worried I got too hot actually look the best. Those weird claw marks on the tip are gone. I was using the initial iron just past the 1st dot but this time I had this iron cranked up to 2 and it was a lot smoother/less painful. It was a £70 Philips, I hope you're happy Tirol!

I'll do a proper wax now and possibly a 2nd tonight and leave it in the airing cupboard overnight. Might get another round in tomorrow if it still needs it based on Piste Office article.

Worst case I'll get someone to look at it in resort from now on and I'll have saved an unloved waxing iron from a life in the loft.
latest report
That’s an explorer / frontier ?

I’ve got one. Always looks like that with the black base.

Don’t overthink it, just slap a bit of wax on, give it a scrape and brush and go ride it. It will be fine. Wouldn’t even worry about a base grind unless there’s no structure left. Tools not jewels.

However be careful with the household iron. I had one go wrong and get too hot, wasn’t paying attention and melted a hole in a board once. I always use a proper waxing iron now, they aren’t expensive. The logic being that wax irons heat the whole metal bit but household irons have hot sports. Don’t know how true that is.
latest report
Its a process of complete failure.

The house iron wont hold a stable temp its not capable of doing so by design ie thin base and junk thermostat etc and this gets far worse with cold waxes ,cold rooms ,cold equipment such as in resort with non workshop adversity

When the house irons temp drops on base contact which it will by design the user will turn the temp up to get the job done this carrys on with the junk irons base temp yo-yo ing up and down as the user plays with the temp dial .

As said its design will not hold a stable heat .
This manual user turning up the temp is when it will burn or so to speak melt or hotspot the base ptex.
Which means YOUR NOW closing the very ptex pores your trying to open and impregnate with wax .

Ultimately this now means you need a base grind and thats a mugs effort Ive had some practice doing exactly this so expeirenced this exact failure .
Many either have no idea or wont want to admit it or couldnt care .

It can be visable on a black base as a slight discolouration but the effective melting or burning shut of the ptex pores ie. the very pores your trying to open with a stable heat.... is the mugs game completed .

Its far easier just to buy a real ski iron as its value increases as the quiver increases and/or ride time increases .
A 1000w as mentioned covers big fat boards sizes, cold snow temps , cold waxes and real cold room temps etc .
It will heat down through to the topsheet or through the whole boards matrix with a more stable heat and not put you in the yo-yo heat cycle of failure.

Its all about holding the right temp or heat to open the ptex pores ...then impregnate them with wax .
Just think about the hotbox principle

I cut corners in other ways on a lack of time in resort basis or non workshop basis but need the help of a 1000w iron because its so productive .
I have a 2200 800-850w ? and a 4200 1000w as I needed two irons.... but I never want to use the 2200.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 11-03-22 8:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Agreed...the 4200 is a great thing. But if on a budget, then the Toko iron is fine....and right now 32.00 from Absolute Snow...

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Toko_T8_800W_SkiSnowboard_Wax_Iron-(53753)?gclid=eaiaiqobchmiwossu7q99givtlttch15tgrfeaqyasabegjp-pd_bwe

I’ve used these on hundreds of skis and boards, and they are fine...a good workhorse. Good thick base and very stable temp supply.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the good advice. In the end in total I did the following. This was after having attempted a wax with the travel (clothes) iron, apart from anything I don't think I had it hot enough.
snowHead Hot scrape (may well have been pointless but wanted to give it a go)
snowHead 2x wax & scrape with an overnight in the airing cupboard before/after for the first one and about 3 hours rest at room temp on the 2nd before scraping.
snowHead Coarse pad
snowHead Fine pad
snowHead Nylon brush

I made this before and after for easy comparison, you can see this gave a vast improvement visually. On the 2nd wax I could tell the wax was applying and sitting differently but visually looked better afterwards. And it was far easier with the bigger and better-spec (household) iron, turned up a little hotter. I'll look to get a real waxing iron soon, there just wasn't time before going away. The £35 Vola one from Decathlon is 1000w @ 240v and 800w @110v; don't think it'll be leaving West Sussex so all good.

And this was after a week of half days in the Alpe D'Huez slush / Saharan sand combo rolling eyes :

I took it to the shop for a wax before coming home. They didn't think the base needed anything but did the edges.

@hang11, absolutely right, a Frontier, well recognised! Glad to hear yours always has that finish as well. It's difficult to know what to expect and I can't say I've paid much attention what a base looks like when renting in the past anyway. Advice heeded on the irons, I'm certain they are better than the average household iron and probably better than mine, many times better than the travel iron (it was still worth the £5 gumtree experiment).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy