Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go with non-skiers 22/23

Poster: A snowHead
I thought I'd start planning the next trip to the Alps and would be grateful for some input from fellow snowheads. The requirements are as follows:

Me + Wife

We can tackle anything on piste
Big enough area and skiing new terrain (we seemed to be retracing old ground for the last day or so for the last holidays in Solden and Madonna)
Enough challenging terrain
I would like to try off piste

Brother

Ambitious beginner, should be confident enough to move beyond nursery slopes after half day or so

Parents

Non-skiers and will not ski
Would like to experience the stereotyped ski scene and atmosphere
Most likely a once only trip so somewhere with some x factor
Winter hikes would be v important to pass the time
Use of the lifts, viewpoints, mountain excursions, lunches on the mountain terraces
Ability to meet up during the day with skiers
Scenic rail journeys or day trips
Interesting food options

General

Easy logistics
Snow sure
Some buzz but not too fussed about apres
March time

My initial thoughts are Zermatt, Arlberg or Kitz.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-04-22 11:20; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Correct.
Lech in Arlberg will be perfect.
But so is Mayrhofen - bonus points for the parents. The bus and train system is awesome and will easily get them to all Zillertal places you will reach
Many folks here will recommend Kitz but compared to the others it was boring, unchallenging and public transfers related it was definitely worse than Arlberg's buses or Zillertal trains AND buses.
You might consider Briancon as a base in Serre Chevalier in France. A real city with a (steeper) historic old quarter, perfect in January. They will enjoy spending time in Monetier Les Bains. In fact, so will everyone.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 5-04-22 20:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Jungfrau.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mayrhofen doesn’t seem to have such an extensive area, relying on nearby resorts instead. We’ll almost definitely have a car so shouldn’t be too bad to drive elsewhere I suppose.

I do like the look of Zermatt and it would certainly offer the folks that winter wonderland feel. The winter walks are also well advertised and some nice train journeys too. Seems a bit of a nightmare to get to though!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
The Jungfrau.

Which resort?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
viciousvulture wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
The Jungfrau.

Which resort?

I'd suggest asking on this thread:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83079

For non skiers, I'd have thought the area is very hard to beat and the skiing is good too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@viciousvulture, Mayrhofen's 140+ kms are more than doubled when you take into consideration Zillertal Arena (with over 140 km by itself, mostly red pistes). And you also have Hintertux for sunny days, Keltenbach etc. Everything is perfectly connected by public transport and if you insist to drive, you'll be enjoying good valley roads.
Mileage related, it overlaps Zermatt. It has multiple winter walks in the valley and by the Penken gondola.
I personally consider its beginner area wider and better connected for an easy progress to the reds. My first adult ski lessons were in Zermatt and boy did it burn my wallet - Austria will be easier in that aspect as well.
Zermatt makes sense arriving by train (easy changes) and I can recommend Chalet Hotel Schönegg, where you will all enjoy seeing the sunrise coloring the peak of Matterhorn in the breakfast room, and pay for it accordingly.
Maybe I am lazy but I enjoyed the free and frequent buses in Mayrhofen. I remember having to walk quite a lot in Zermatt to reach the gondolas/Sonnega underground and the train to Gornegrat.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As soon as i read your post Zermatt was my first thought and its on your short list, what time of year were you aiming for? I've not stayed their but i've skied the area but would support Lech if thinking about Alberg. St Anton would tick a lot of boxes except for your beginner and its really not a great area for beginners.

I could also suggest Courchevel, great ski area for all levels, off piste, snow sure. Lots of places to for non skiiers to meet skiers on the hill for lunch, view points etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
viciousvulture wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
The Jungfrau.

Which resort?

I'd suggest asking on this thread:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83079

For non skiers, I'd have thought the area is very hard to beat and the skiing is good too.

Looks a really nice place! I’ll add this to the list and look further, thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Russeh wrote:
As soon as i read your post Zermatt was my first thought and its on your short list, what time of year were you aiming for? I've not stayed their but i've skied the area but would support Lech if thinking about Alberg. St Anton would tick a lot of boxes except for your beginner and its really not a great area for beginners.

I could also suggest Courchevel, great ski area for all levels, off piste, snow sure. Lots of places to for non skiiers to meet skiers on the hill for lunch, view points etc.

I’ve pencilled in January. I should add the folks aren’t so hardy and therefore I’d be a little nervous about the prospect of low sun and cold. I know the sunbathing on the terrace is the vision they have. A place like Zermatt, being so high, may be too cold for them in January? I think if it was to be Zermatt perhaps a mid March may be better.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@drporat, thanks for the insight! I’ll definitely look further into Mayrhofen.

I’d assume it’d be the one time only trip for the folks so wanted to try and go for somewhere special.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

perhaps a mid March may be better

yes - why had you pencilled in January?

Aspects of your OP make me wonder whether your ambitions for this holiday are in line with those for your parents. You want to be able to meet up - and if you don't, there's really no point their going with you. But the distances they can travel will be much smaller and more limited than yours. For example they could go up a lift to a restaurant which is pretty close to the lift - but the might feel wobbly walking far on snow. They will need good footwear and crampons (and the icy pavements in a town are far more scary than nice snowy paths). And perhaps walking poles to help their balance. And obviously really warm clothes. If it spoiled your holidays before to have to cover some of the the same ground twice (not something which bothers many skiers), then the mix doesn't look too good. Will you be OK to do some walking with them some days, and perhaps enjoy sitting on a sunny terrace (much more likely in March than in January) when you'd really prefer to be off finding some new challenge?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Aspects of your OP make me wonder whether your ambitions for this holiday are in line with those for your parents. You want to be able to meet up - and if you don't, there's really no point their going with you. But the distances they can travel will be much smaller and more limited than yours. For example they could go up a lift to a restaurant which is pretty close to the lift - but the might feel wobbly walking far on snow. They will need good footwear and crampons (and the icy pavements in a town are far more scary than nice snowy paths). And perhaps walking poles to help their balance. And obviously really warm clothes. If it spoiled your holidays before to have to cover some of the the same ground twice (not something which bothers many skiers), then the mix doesn't look too good. Will you be OK to do some walking with them some days, and perhaps enjoy sitting on a sunny terrace (much more likely in March than in January) when you'd really prefer to be off finding some new challenge?

This is why I suggested the Jungfrau region, which is really well set up for tourists on foot as well as skiers. It's the only place I've skied where there were lots of sightseers around as well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I recently went to Chamonix with my pregnant wife and non-skiing parents and they all had a great trip and are keen to go again next year*. We did a mixture of snowshoeing, cross country skiing and walking (I went alpine skiing the one day they went walking). My parents had not done either snowshoeing or xc skiing before but both sports are pretty easy (stick to classic xc unless you can ski already) and people who don't want to alpine ski can get the thrill of snow and big days out in the mountains from them. I loved the town of Chamonix and that is important for non skiers. The person in your group who this would work the least well for is your brother, it's perhaps not the best place for beginner/low intermediate. You could do a similar mix of activities elsewhere, Briancon as mentioned above could work well or Val Cenis both of which would be more suitable for your brother. *This was half the point as once my wife is post pregnant my parents will be pretty important on winter holidays
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With your list one place that jumps to mind is Davos which has a great winter sports vibe with X country trails, sleigh rides and a very good valley transport system with railway and busses. My mother had a great time here when my kids were babies.
But it is likely to be a bit chilly on January for outdoor eating on the terraces, as is the case in most places in my experience.
Another place which is pretty good is serre chevalier.
Interesting old town in Briancon, lovely xcountry skiing and walking up in vallee de claree, hot baths in monetier. Sunny climate and reasonably priced.

Having taken in laws to Zermatt I'd be a bit cautious it is attractive but if you're comfined to the valley it can feel a bit claustrophobic and in Jan the valley is not going to get much sun.
latest report
Quote:

We did a mixture of snowshoeing, cross country skiing and walking (I went alpine skiing the one day they went walking)

This is the key - you did those things together, then had a "day off" alpine skiing. It wasn't clear whether the OP was intending to give much priority to doing things with his parents.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
The Jungfrau.

^+1

The mountain railways and cable cars make it so easy for the non skiers to get around for walks and sightseeing (and sledging if they want to, there are plenty of nice toboggan runs), and to meet up with the skiers on the mountain at lunchtime. Smile They do special lift tickets for non skiers: https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/jungfrau-region-hiking-sledging-pass/

You'll see from the map on that link that this hiking and sledging lift ticket includes all the local mountain railways and cable cars between Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen ( the Lauterbrunnen valley has some impressive waterfalls) Mürren, Wengen and Grindelwald. Smile
snow report
Yes, I'm sure the Jungfrau would be great for the parents - unbeatable scenery, and made for pedestrians to get around. I've only been in summer - no idea how the skiing works.
latest report
Having been to mayrhofen several times, you cannot fault the transport network, both in resort (multiple bus routes) or via the trains and coaches to the nearby zell am ziller, kaltenbach, fugen and Hintertux areas, all accessible within 45 mins, plus a walk or bus to the gondola. However, I have never noticed any walkers, which is in stark contrast to when I went to Morzine, they were everywhere and for a french resort, it offers good value. Personally, I've always enjoyed the pound for buck you get in Austria and the infrastructure is generally better. Good shout for Lech, some lovely long blues for the bro. It's not a cheap resort but well placed to ski the whole of the Arlberg. Do stay away from St Anton, it's at the tail end or start of the Arlberg and suited to intermediates, the trip back from St Christoph at the end of the day, is not pleasant for a beginner. Once out of the Arlberg towns, you do pay for the buses and the taxis are expensive. A great ski area is Ischgl, which serves as a hub for the ski area, and the town offers everything you'd need but I'm not sure about activities for your parents. If memory serves, there are walks between Ischgl and Galtur but these are through the valley rather than over the hills. Saalbach is another option, more for the bus links to other resorts, especially if you've got a car. Best of luck with your deliberations, either way, I'm sure you will all have a great time.
snow report
How about turning this on its head and locating somewhere in a valley and then touring 'round different resorts in an area? This would ensure that your parents have a good experience and that you could shift to another ski area if you'd skied all the runs to your satisfaction. Yes, it means more travel time for the skiers, and no ski-in/ski-out, but they get the advantage of trying a diversity of ski resorts out of it.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I couldn't wait to go again! Laughing

But March sounds perfect!
snow report
T Bar wrote:
With your list one place that jumps to mind is Davos which has a great winter sports vibe with X country trails, sleigh rides and a very good valley transport system with railway and busses. My mother had a great time here when my kids were babies.
But it is likely to be a bit chilly on January for outdoor eating on the terraces, as is the case in most places in my experience.
Another place which is pretty good is serre chevalier.
Interesting old town in Briancon, lovely xcountry skiing and walking up in vallee de claree, hot baths in monetier. Sunny climate and reasonably priced.

Having taken in laws to Zermatt I'd be a bit cautious it is attractive but if you're comfined to the valley it can feel a bit claustrophobic and in Jan the valley is not going to get much sun.

I was having a look at Zermatt's hiking map:

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/winter-hiking-snowshoeing/Winter-hiking-Snowshoe-trails-map

There looks to be hikes higher up and these could then be integrated into lift/lunches etc. There should still be some sunshine here?
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
The Jungfrau.

^+1

The mountain railways and cable cars make it so easy for the non skiers to get around for walks and sightseeing (and sledging if they want to, there are plenty of nice toboggan runs), and to meet up with the skiers on the mountain at lunchtime. Smile They do special lift tickets for non skiers: https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/jungfrau-region-hiking-sledging-pass/

You'll see from the map on that link that this hiking and sledging lift ticket includes all the local mountain railways and cable cars between Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen ( the Lauterbrunnen valley has some impressive waterfalls) Mürren, Wengen and Grindelwald. Smile

I don't know if this is nonsense, but I read somewhere that the resort can sometimes be a bit cumbersome for skiers with slow train links?!

The scenery looks beautiful and clearly well set up for the tourists.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We did a mixture of snowshoeing, cross country skiing and walking (I went alpine skiing the one day they went walking)

This is the key - you did those things together, then had a "day off" alpine skiing. It wasn't clear whether the OP was intending to give much priority to doing things with his parents.

In my mind, the days would be separate and then getting together for a few lunches in the week before reconvening at the end of the day.

Perhaps 1 day together doing a hike or day trip but I'd think the skiers would want to maximise their time skiing.
latest report
viciousvulture wrote:

I don't know if this is nonsense, but I read somewhere that the resort can sometimes be a bit cumbersome for skiers with slow train links?!

The scenery looks beautiful and clearly well set up for the tourists.

There are alternative uplifts to the skiing whichever town/village you stay in. Wengen (my favourite) has a cable car directly from the centre of the village going up to the Männlichen ski area. Mürren has its own cable car going up to Birg and from there the Schilthorn (Blofeld's mountain lair in the 1969 James Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service) well worth a visit by non skiers, and there's a black piste down from there with a maximum 37 degree gradient for the skiers to check out. Very Happy

If you're staying in Grindelwald then it has its own ski area called Grindelwald First served by a series of gondola links (you stay on the gondola past the intermediate stations to reach the top). It's easy to ski from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, and also from Männlichen to ski down to the new Grindelwald Terminal building from where there's a frequent bus service (about every 10mins) that takes you to the Grindelwald First gondola. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Quote:

In my mind, the days would be separate

That's what I inferred from your OP. The danger is that you end up with a compromise which isn't ideal for anybody. Going on holiday with non-skiing parents is like going on holiday with small kids - you have to adapt to their needs and enjoy the time you spend making things fun for them too.

Otherwise, just go on separate holidays and have much cheaper evenings together back home in the UK!
snow conditions
I am a loyal Zermatt fan of 30 years, and I think it offers much of what you are looking for, especially for your parents. We too have stayed at the Schoenegg and can recommend…BUT I also think January might not be the best time for a mixed group such as yours and would also recommend March. We are just back and had half a week of glorious warm sunshine and then a massive snowfall at the end, indeed have often had decent snowfalls at that time of year so something for everyone!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy