Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passenger Locator Form

Poster: A snowHead
Now that entry restrictions are being lifted grateful if anyone can advise on the below

Elderly neighbours are thinking of booking an Easter trip to Europe. They don't have a smartphone, just an old Nokia that can make and receive calls but nothing else

I understand that the PLC has to be downloaded to a device before return travel to the UK, and that without the barcode they cannot get a boarding pass

How can they do this without any internet capability?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
apply for one by post (ring 119)
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@allbob. Thanks, looked at this but how would they get the required barcode 48 hours before returning
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They maybe lucky and the PLF may be scrapped before easter.

If not they would need to get internet access. I too have an old Nokia but use a laptop to do my PLF and then download to eurotunnel website. Most tourist offices will have internet access or give you details of local facilities.

You have to finalise the PLF less than 48 hours before travel but can do most of the input beforehand although you have to refresh your account from memory every 7 days.

Not flown recently so not sure quite how this fits in with airline check in / boarding cards. I take printed copy of PLF with me but never checked at eurotunnel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would it not be easiest just to buy a cheap second hand smart phone and PAYG sim? You seem to need updated forms/info for so much travel now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar wrote:
Would it not be easiest just to buy a cheap second hand smart phone and PAYG sim? You seem to need updated forms/info for so much travel now.

or an amazon fire tablet & connect to free wifi. Said poster could always will it in at home for them & email it to the the couple or hotel - lots of hotel have business suite capability.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I filled in a plf on Friday and found it impossible to scan my vaccination pass. I did have to show my completed plf at Geneva airport but not my proof of vaccination. I have no idea how you are expected to complete a plf without a smart phone.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for replies so far. Had a chat with the neighbours and explained the various options to them, to which they looked completely baffled. They said that if there is still this much hassle to travel then they will leave it untill such time as the regulations ease or are completely scrapped.

They certainly do not want to invest in smartphones or laptops / ipads
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nahdendee,
How old are they, a second hand or cheap new phone is not a big investment and with a bit of learning it makes travel a lot easier, even if just to find out about local information.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
@nahdendee,
How old are they, a second hand or cheap new phone is not a big investment and with a bit of learning it makes travel a lot easier, even if just to find out about local information.

I don't think you understand. My ancient mum has a basic non-smart phone - there's no way she could get to grips with a smartphone and all the uploading etc you need to do. She manages to do Tesco shopping on a big laptop, but can't deal with anything unexpected. That's when I get the phone call and have to log on to her laptop remotely to sort it out. She would be fine with a handful of A4 hardcopies in her handbag though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Soz div here again - assume you do NOT need to book a formal Lat Flow for submission on return and that this section is now no longer on the UK PLF (if you are triple jabbed etc) ??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Belch,

Correct, if fully vaccinated Covid tests are no longer required for returning to the UK.

Therefore I assume you will not need a Covid test reference for the UK PLF.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
caughtanedge wrote:
T Bar wrote:
@nahdendee,

I don't think you understand. My ancient mum has a basic non-smart phone - there's no way she could get to grips with a smartphone and all the uploading etc you need to do. She manages to do Tesco shopping on a big laptop, but can't deal with anything unexpected. That's when I get the phone call and have to log on to her laptop remotely to sort it out. She would be fine with a handful of A4 hardcopies in her handbag though.

I dunno, maybe, but my mum is 93. She has an iPhone and WhatsApps me all the time and it means we can message and she’s been looking at my alpine photos I’ve sent her today and writing back WITH EMOJIS!! I suppose it depends on the person, but my mum is very capable using her phone and her iPad partly because they’re so very easy to use. I don’t think we always give Seniors the credit with keeping up with technology that they deserve.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
@Belch,

Correct, if fully vaccinated Covid tests are no longer required for returning to the UK.

Therefore I assume you will not need a Covid test reference for the UK PLF.

TA
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The PLF is likely to be scrapped before Easter, probably before the end of next week apparently.

It's a completely pointless document anyway.
latest report
« It's a completely pointless document anyway.« 

This.
snow report
The capacity of older individuals to cope with complexity of any sort is highly variable. My mum has largely mastered the smartphone, my dad despite multiple tutorial sessions has resolutely been unable to operate anything beyond BBC News and his news feeds (we know now this is a early symptom of alzheimer's) and even struggles with making phone calls.

When I think of the various balls to juggle to get into Canada there is no way either of them would have been able to do that without extensive external support and accompanying stress.
snow conditions
For me, the real PITA with it is that it pre-supposes you receive emails on your device.

So I'm sat in France and it emails my PLF code to my laptop in England. Wonderful.
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, but you can download the PLF direct on your phone when complete before email can't you or screenshot it?
snow conditions
.@Dave of the Marmottes, Yes, but you need an email address to set up your account
ski holidays
Disposable gmail account?
latest report
One thing I've just found out about the return to Uk PLF, is that you can submit it any time in the 3 days before you return back in the UK. Think previously it was within 48hrs. Just gives you a bit longer to submit, download and/or print it out
ski holidays
Thanks for the notice of the 3-day (not 48 hours) thing, that just saved me some hassle.

I think the purpose of the PLF thing is that they can, er, locate you. So they want your name, address, passport details,
and some means of contacting you. An email address seems like a fairly reasonable mechanism for that, as does a phone number.

I seriously doubt you could book an airline ticket without an email address anyway. Carrier Pidgeon probably won't hack it.
ski holidays
Do they still ask you for your seat number on the PLF? Remember this causing issues last year, with people needing seat numbers for the PLF, but couldn't get a seat number till they checked in, but couldn't check in because they needed the completed PLF number.
snow report
@jimmybog, They didn't ask for a seat no in Jan when I returned.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@jimmybog, They didn't ask for a seat no in Jan when I returned.

Thanks. They must have changed it then. Reminds me I need to login to my account again in case it's been deleted, unless they've fixed this issue.
latest report
jimmybog wrote:
Do they still ask you for your seat number on the PLF? Remember this causing issues last year, with people needing seat numbers for the PLF, but couldn't get a seat number till they checked in, but couldn't check in because they needed the completed PLF number.

Flew back from Grenoble Feb 13th. needed a seat number for my UK PLF.
snow report
Flew back from Innsbruck on 5 March and I only needed to say what cabin class I was in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When we flew in both directions there was a space to put in the seat number and cabin class but it was optional and we didn't fill it in.
snow report
philwig wrote:
Thanks for the notice of the 3-day (not 48 hours) thing, that just saved me some hassle.

I think the purpose of the PLF thing is that they can, er, locate you. So they want your name, address, passport details,
and some means of contacting you. An email address seems like a fairly reasonable mechanism for that, as does a phone number.

I seriously doubt you could book an airline ticket without an email address anyway. Carrier Pidgeon probably won't hack it.

Er, apps?
latest report
Kimski44 wrote:
caughtanedge wrote:
T Bar wrote:
@nahdendee,

I dunno, maybe,

No, not 'maybe', it's true. I gave an example of someone who would struggle with the technology needed to complete and upload a PLF or whatever, you gave an example of someone would be ok - there is a great variation in older people's ability with all this, which sometimes gets forgotten or ignored.
snow report
@philwig, "I think the purpose of the PLF thing is that they can, er, locate you"

Indeed. Although if I got a call today telling me I'd been on the same flight (or sitting next to) a contagion vector, I'd ignore it.

Not, before the sactimony posse tide in, because I'm irresponsible, but because it is now truly endemic. Jeez, mate's cancer ridden Dad who hasn't left the house in 6 years has it currently.

PLF worthless.
latest report
Its rumoured that the requirement to do a PLF will be dropped next week. Which makes sense, with testing become a thing of the past, knowing who was on what flight isn't going to do didly squat to stop the spread of anything.
ski holidays
Just completing PLF for arriving in Italy. Travelling via Innsbruck so have put arrival by coach- it then asks for coach company- any ideas?! Can I just put Crystal/ TUI

Also needing a rough time- anyone done this trip with Crysal? Is 2 hours after landing being optimistic?!
ski holidays
Google maps for the journey time to the border crossing, add a couple of hours for getting out of the airport round up to the nearest hour and stick that in. That's what I've done for driving in to Italy on Saturday (well minus the airport faff), can't help with coach co but I'd go with Crystal they just need a way to get in contact if needed.
snow conditions
MCL wrote:
Just completing PLF for arriving in Italy. Travelling via Innsbruck so have put arrival by coach- it then asks for coach company- any ideas?! Can I just put Crystal/ TUI

Also needing a rough time- anyone done this trip with Crysal? Is 2 hours after landing being optimistic?!

Yes just put Crystal in for bus company
Point of entry Brenner pass
snow conditions
@Garfield, brilliant thanks
snow report
Maybe the best thing is to speak to the airline and possibly request assistance (i know this is usually meant for disabled passengers, but could equally apply for this type of thing).
ski holidays
It's official; UK PLFs scrapped this Friday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60741158
snow conditions
Good riddance!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy