Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine (Ski Storage) Moan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from another enjoyable (alcohol fuelled) short trip to Morzine (albeit pretty poor piste conditions - Sahara sand did not help - they need a dump) however a disappointing first since bringing my own kit over the last 10 years plus in that NONE of the ski rental shops were willing to store my skis and boots . . .and I mean NONE.

Tried bribes / flirting / crying only to be met with a stiff 'non' . . .its like they were only interested in punters who rent even though pretty much all the outdoor signage promoted 'ski & boot' storage. As I've stated this is a first and I've never previously had an issue with getting a locker closest to the nearest convenient lift (Super Morzine in this instance) and the shop who were more than happy to take my cash 2yrs ago were simply not interested (even with the rest of my group renting skis / boots / both).

Never had this prob earlier in the season in Austria however is this becoming a theme as French rental shops try and recoup their 24month losses? If so will seriously consider either trying to book storage in advance or perhaps not bothering at all. Would be interested to know if anyone's experienced the same irritation this season . . .?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We couldn't even store the kids kit at the store we'd it hired from in Morzine at half term let alone our own stuff. I'd never had the issue before either, but at the time put it down to the fact that I'd never skied at half term before.

Belch wrote:
Just got back from another enjoyable (alcohol fuelled) short trip to Morzine (albeit pretty poor piste conditions - Sahara sand did not help - they need a dump) however a disappointing first since bringing my own kit over the last 10 years plus in that NONE of the ski rental shops were willing to store my skis and boots . . .and I mean NONE.

Tried bribes / flirting / crying only to be met with a stiff 'non' . . .its like they were only interested in punters who rent even though pretty much all the outdoor signage promoted 'ski & boot' storage. As I've stated this is a first and I've never previously had an issue with getting a locker closest to the nearest convenient lift (Super Morzine in this instance) and the shop who were more than happy to take my cash 2yrs ago were simply not interested (even with the rest of my group renting skis / boots / both).

Never had this prob earlier in the season in Austria however is this becoming a theme as French rental shops try and recoup their 24month losses? If so will seriously consider either trying to book storage in advance or perhaps not bothering at all. Would be interested to know if anyone's experienced the same irritation this season . . .?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have skied at half term with my own kit in other busy French resorts (L2A) - never had this problem!

Makes no sense - appreciate space can be an issue sometimes but its not like it was even that busy! There's public storage at the Pleny lift (at silly cost - 10euros for 24hrs!) but no-one else was interested . . .pain in the bum clomping to and from the slopes but especially at the end of the day etc. Ski in ski out next time maybe . . .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
By way of contrast at Ski Top in Badia in the Dolomites I got free storage for the skis I hired from them (and my own boots). My skiing buddy had all his own stuff and was charged the princely sum of €3 a day.
And the food’s better Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree -in one ski shop near super morzine we were also told there was no storage for our own shoes (most of us hired boots for various reasons; BA had lost mine!). we hid them under a bench in the end Laughing I also paid for Excellence skis and after dismissing skis 10cm too long and too short, my pair looked frankly like they had got them out of a skip round the back (although they were fine on snow). I assumed it was my fault for going at the tail end of a peak week!
Also found Italy much more accommodating in that respect. Lovely big ski locker at the bottom of Val Veny when I skied in Courmayeur.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 16-03-22 23:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Belch, I suspect 10 euros/day is the standard charge across French ski lift operators. While it sounds expensive, it isn't bad shared across a party of 4.

Obviously rental shops can charge what they think the market will bear, and favour their ski hire customers. I had heard that one of the main ski hire places by the Super Morzine lift had changed ownership, so possibly that is what created the problem.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is nobody allowed to keep their kit at the chalet these days ?
In days of yore we'd boot up at base, carry skis and poles to the slopes.
Sometimes like in Zell, L2A and Leysin this mean't walking, then a short bus then a gondola, but it was pretty normal.
Obviously in Avoriaz, you can just clip in at your front door and off you go.
At the end of the day we'd put our kit in a rack outside our bar of choosing and enjoy a couple of pints with the boot buckles loosened, before heading back for a shower / sauna etc ...
I don't ski so much these days, mainly boarding, but has the advance in ski technology made them so heavy that you can't carry them for more than 50 yards ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WindOfChange wrote:
Sometimes like in Zell, L2A and Leysin this mean't walking, then a short bus then a gondola, but it was pretty normal.
At the end of the day we'd put our kit in a rack outside our bar of choosing and enjoy a couple of pints with the boot buckles loosened, before heading back for a shower / sauna etc ...
I don't ski so much these days, mainly boarding, but has the advance in ski technology made them so heavy that you can't carry them for more than 50 yards ?

Lol - that is what I ended up doing; however I had more than a 50yard yomp back to le hotel and the bus took more than half an hours hanging around (they don't work on Swiss/Austrian timetables in La France)
Just prefer to dump my kit locally - the joy of being able to get into soft footwear and not worry about kit until the next day makes for a smoother and more immediate transition to the bar! This was made more frustrating in that the rest of my group didn't have the same issues (they all rented / got local storage) . . .as stated seemed like a local conspiracy against kit owners - ALL of the rental outlets (including the usually more accommodating independents) were simply not interested . . .

Zell in Jan - 15euros for 3 days and your locker was digitally integrated into your lift pass - scan the pass on a wall transponder and ping, in front of a sea of lockers, yours opened automatically in front of your very eyes! Lesson learnt - Austria = different class
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Belch wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

Lol - that is what I ended up doing; however I had more than a 50yard yomp back to le hotel and the bus took more than half an hours hanging around (they don't work on Swiss/Austrian timetables in La France)
Just prefer to dump my kit locally - the joy of being able to get into soft footwear and not worry about kit until the next day makes for a smoother and more immediate transition to the bar! This was made more frustrating in that the rest of my group didn't have the same issues (they all rented / got local storage) . . .as stated seemed like a local conspiracy against kit owners - ALL of the rental outlets (including the usually more accommodating independents) were simply not interested . . .

Zell in Jan - 15euros for 3 days and your locker was digitally integrated into your lift pass - scan the pass on a wall transponder and ping, in front of a sea of lockers, yours opened automatically in front of your very eyes! Lesson learnt - Austria = different class

That's pretty shitty when the rest of your party was renting from them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
. . .Yep! Les Basteurds!

There is an anomaly here though thinking about it - I usually (not all the time) get my skis serviced (at the dumping ground of choice) on the evening of arrival and then book the lockers at the same time; didn't need to do this as the service from my previous Jan trip meant bases and edges were still pretty tip top - we also arrived late in the evening due to a very slow transfer so had to do this the following morning (not ideal) - either way they were still all miserable basteurds and especially when every A board outside each shop clearly stated ski and boot storage!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Belch, I do get the annoyance when you're 4 pints deep, and the only one still rocking Salomon sx92s and all your mates are in their brothel creepers, and you're the only one who needs to go back to the accommodation.
Still If one of them merits a kick in the plums, ski boots are great for that Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WindOfChange, LOL you know the deal - I felt left out and my normal MJ dance moves where hampered! Plus by the time I'd got back to the vill after dumping my gear in l'otel I was 3x rounds behind with a punishment drink fine (usually Captain Morgans neat) in place!

Going to ensure we book accom next to the lifts next time or ski in ski out to negate the inconvenience!

PS - SX92s - lol - my Dad had a pair of those!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy