Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a snow sure resort in Austria for Xmas/NY 2022-23 with ski in ski out accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
We have just come back from a wonderful week in La Tzoumaz/Verbier in Switzerland, and now want to book the next ski holiday for Christmas/New Year 2022-23. We are looking for a high altitude or snow sure resort in Austria and preferably one we can drive to with ski in ski out accommodation. I've been looking at Lech, but am struggling to find any affordable accommodation with availability for Christmas/NY in this area. I also like the look of Zell am See but am aware this is a longer drive from Calais and not as snow sure. Does anyone have any suggestions where we could go? We are a family of 5 who have been skiing for a few weeks and prefer blue slopes (but can manage easy reds). We are only considering Austria as we have already been to France and Switzerland and want to try Austria next time.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did exactly that NY 2018/19.

St Christoph has a couple of slope-side hotels cheaper than Lech/Zurs, linked to the same skiing as Zurs.

Are you looking for hotels, pensions or self catering?

Austria at that time in hotels will never be cheap, but the hotels are invariably lovely.

p.s. Lech will have loads of availability 10 months ahead, but often you have to deal with places directly - they shun intermediaries such as booking.com etc.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow&skifan wrote:
Did exactly that NY 2018/19.

St Christoph has a couple of slope-side hotels cheaper than Lech/Zurs, linked to the same skiing as Zurs.

Are you looking for hotels, pensions or self catering?

Austria at that time in hotels will never be cheap, but the hotels are invariably lovely.

p.s. Lech will have loads of availability 10 months ahead, but often you have to deal with places directly - they shun intermediaries such as booking.com etc.

Thanks for your reply. We are open to both hotels and apartments. Price is a big consideration, so a SC apartment might offer the best value. St Christoph looks good, hadn't heard of this place before. Can't find anything in Lech for less than £5000 for the 5 of us. If you know of anywhere in St Cristoph, Lech/Oberlech, feel free to point me in the right direction. I have enquired with a couple of hotels in Lech but they were both fully booked. Thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Motherofthree,
This is not meant to be rude, but if you’re choosing between Lech and Zell am See, you need to take more time to make up your mind.
Anyway, trying to book for next season in one of the busiest weeks in a very special season is not a wise thing to do.
Better to wait until May (at least)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Motherofthree,
This is not meant to be rude, but if you’re choosing between Lech and Zell am See, you need to take more time to make up your mind.
Anyway, trying to book for next season in one of the busiest weeks in a very special season is not a wise thing to do.
Also: from La Tzoumaz to Lech (at Christmas)is a big leap
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Motherofthree,
And anyway, trying to book for next season in one of the busiest weeks in a very special season is not a wise thing to do.
Also: from La Tzoumaz to Lech (esp. at Christmas) is a big leap. La Tzoumaz is no Verbier. And Lech is more Christmassy than Verbier.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 4-03-22 21:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zell is a bit low to be snow sure at Christmas, we went there once for Christmas but the snow was poor, would go higher at Christmas's next time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zell am see isnt ski in/out. It’s a town! However it does give you the option of snow sure Glacier Kaprun as well as the Ski Circus Saalbach Hinterglemm. Austria is not Ski In/Out in the sense or purpose built resorts. However you will find lots of villages & towns with lifts in the centre a short walk away & prices reflect the distance the further you go out. You will find mountain side accommodation in Kitzbuhel, Mayhofren, and pretty much any other resort. Which will be Ski in/Out However, you gain very little & lose the town & small village vibe. Some of which can feel quite quaint & cosy. Well worth giving ski in/out up for.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Motherofthree,
You could try Kappl which has some ski in ski out, is family friendly and a decent altitude for snow. South facing so the slopes are reasonably sunny in winter at this time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Motherofthree, I think your search is somewhat akin to looking for a unicorn! Oberlech is perfect but not only do you need very deep pockets but most places (in Lech generally) give preference to previous guests which means that popular weeks are very difficult to book. St Christoph can be very bleak and not much to do, you will end up taking taxis to St Anton which are not cheap. Obergurgl might be worth a look, snow sure but not the biggest place, not much to do outside of hotels. Ischgl is very reliable for snow but not everyone likes the place, not much ski in / out. The Zillertal is reliable, primarily because of the glacier at Hintertux, but I suspect staying in Mayrhofen or one of the other villages is not really what you are after, practically no ski in / out or even piste side, could be very Christmassy though.

Zell cant be described as snow sure or having much if any ski in / out, it is a nice small town so should have a good Christmas atmosphere. If that part of the world takes your fancy better off in Saalbach Hinterglemm.

Christmas and even New Year is not reliable for snow, practically everywhere you might choose will have an element of compromise and risk of less than ideal conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to repeat: now is not a good time to send requests to hotels for next season.
These are mostly family-run businesses, and currently extremely busy.
They will dislike you just because of your email, and thus not very enclined to accept your request for christmas. Even apart from the fact they are probably fully booked by regulars, and will receive dozens of request in the course of this year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

They will dislike you just because of your email

Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Crikey @Langerzug you’re not on the happy tree
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to repeat

Crikey @Langerzug you’re not on the happy tree
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi - we are a group of pals now 45-55 yr old (how did that happen?) who have skiid tarantaise valley resorts in France most of the last 10-15 years. Looking for something different next year - end of feb or start of march would be ideal. Thinking of Austria as have never skiid there but have heard great reports for both on slope and apres ski!

Have heard ischgl is great fun with great skiing but happy to try anywhere.

Looking for 3 or 4 star hotel.

Will be flying from Aberdeen or Edinburgh but not sure where to fly into.

Anyone any recommendations?
Thanks if so!
snow report
@Langerzug, that's not been my experience I've booked up for Xmas and new year already every hotel I contacted came back with a pleasent reply.
ski holidays
@frank20, Ischgl / St Anton / Mayhofren / or anything West St Johann in Tirol = Innsbruck for shorter transfers. Ski Amade / SKi Circus / etc = Sazlburg or Munich.
SkiWelt = depends which village!
ski holidays
@frank20, Conditions should be good pretty much everywhere then, though it can be busy (watch out for Fasching / Fastnacht / Karneval which is when many have their half term). If you want ski & party Ischgl is good. St Anton has better skiing and better party (in my opinion others will disagree!). The Zillertal has lots of skiing and Mayrhofen has a good party reputation. Innsbruck airport is ideal if you can get flights otherwise Munich or Zürich (Zürich probably easier - get the train, though Munich is more popular). The Ski Amade resorts and Saalbach Hinterglemm are good options especially as easy access from Salzburg airport
ski holidays
Can I suggest Obertauern. Snow sure, almost all ski in ski out, not as pricey as some other resorts, but probably a longer drive for you.
snow report
@Motherofthree, Flachau and Wagrain in the Ski Amade would suit you well in terms of affordability, Zauchensee is also good and a little higher. Slightly longer drive than France but you'll save 20% on feeding your brood on the Muountains. We live here and can assure you that there's always plenty of piste open for Christmas Week. Most of the resort is North Facing so any early season snow holds well. Our large family apartments are currently on offer for Christmas Week (19-26 Mon-Mon) for €2335 (that's Euros not pounds!) and if you're driving down you can avoid the weekend traffic. PM me if you want more help or information. There was a great article on our area in the Daily Telegraph yesterday. Have a look in their travel section if you can.
snow report
That is a brilliant offer! Wish the family was up for Christmas skiing again.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
@Motherofthree,
And anyway, trying to book for next season in one of the busiest weeks in a very special season is not a wise thing to do.
Also: from La Tzoumaz to Lech (esp. at Christmas) is a big leap. La Tzoumaz is no Verbier. And Lech is more Christmassy than Verbier.

Your reply doesn't really make sense to me, sorry. Do you mean it's best to wait with booking the Christmas week until May? I mentioned Lech only because it's one of the nearest, high altitude ski resorts in Austria to Calais and the slopes there seem to be suitable for beginners/intermediates like us.
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:
Zell is a bit low to be snow sure at Christmas, we went there once for Christmas but the snow was poor, would go higher at Christmas's next time.

Thanks for the info, since I wrote my post I have realised this too.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Zell am see isnt ski in/out. It’s a town! However it does give you the option of snow sure Glacier Kaprun as well as the Ski Circus Saalbach Hinterglemm. Austria is not Ski In/Out in the sense or purpose built resorts. However you will find lots of villages & towns with lifts in the centre a short walk away & prices reflect the distance the further you go out. You will find mountain side accommodation in Kitzbuhel, Mayhofren, and pretty much any other resort. Which will be Ski in/Out However, you gain very little & lose the town & small village vibe. Some of which can feel quite quaint & cosy. Well worth giving ski in/out up for.

Thanks for your reply. Kitzbuhel and Mayrhofen both look lovely, but I'm just worried about their low altitude for a December holiday.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
@Motherofthree,
You could try Kappl which has some ski in ski out, is family friendly and a decent altitude for snow. South facing so the slopes are reasonably sunny in winter at this time.

Thanks for your reply, Kappl does fit all our criteria. My only worry is that it looks very small for a week's holiday. Is Kappl linked via ski lifts to a larger ski area?
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@Motherofthree, I think your search is somewhat akin to looking for a unicorn! Oberlech is perfect but not only do you need very deep pockets but most places (in Lech generally) give preference to previous guests which means that popular weeks are very difficult to book. St Christoph can be very bleak and not much to do, you will end up taking taxis to St Anton which are not cheap. Obergurgl might be worth a look, snow sure but not the biggest place, not much to do outside of hotels. Ischgl is very reliable for snow but not everyone likes the place, not much ski in / out. The Zillertal is reliable, primarily because of the glacier at Hintertux, but I suspect staying in Mayrhofen or one of the other villages is not really what you are after, practically no ski in / out or even piste side, could be very Christmassy though.

Zell cant be described as snow sure or having much if any ski in / out, it is a nice small town so should have a good Christmas atmosphere. If that part of the world takes your fancy better off in Saalbach Hinterglemm.

Christmas and even New Year is not reliable for snow, practically everywhere you might choose will have an element of compromise and risk of less than ideal conditions.

Thanks for your insightful reply. What you say makes sense and I think you're right that I might be looking for something that doesn't exit. Oberlech and Lech seem to fit all our criteria, apart from the budget one. At the moment I'm looking at St Anton/Ischgl and the other high altitude ski resorts in West Austria, as they are easiest to drive to from Calais. Obergurbl also looks great, just a bit further away from Calais. Saalbach also looks okay when it comes to snow sureness, but again a bit far from Calais.
ski holidays
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
Can I suggest Obertauern. Snow sure, almost all ski in ski out, not as pricey as some other resorts, but probably a longer drive for you.

Thanks, this place sounds great actually, and might be worth driving the extra leg or even flying to get there! Do you know of any good, well-priced accommodation in Obertauern?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 5-03-22 22:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@Motherofthree, Flachau and Wagrain in the Ski Amade would suit you well in terms of affordability, Zauchensee is also good and a little higher. Slightly longer drive than France but you'll save 20% on feeding your brood on the Muountains. We live here and can assure you that there's always plenty of piste open for Christmas Week. Most of the resort is North Facing so any early season snow holds well. Our large family apartments are currently on offer for Christmas Week (19-26 Mon-Mon) for €2335 (that's Euros not pounds!) and if you're driving down you can avoid the weekend traffic. PM me if you want more help or information. There was a great article on our area in the Daily Telegraph yesterday. Have a look in their travel section if you can.

Thanks, Zauchensee looks good and snow sure, but Flachau and Wagrain seem too low in December. We are looking to travel 24th-31st Dec and would only consider Zauchensee out of these three ski resorts. Do you have any accommodation to offer there for this time?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Motherofthree wrote:
T Bar wrote:
@Motherofthree,

Thanks for your reply, Kappl does fit all our criteria. My only worry is that it looks very small for a week's holiday. Is Kappl linked via ski lifts to a larger ski area?

No but Ischgl is a very short trip up the valley but you would need the ski bus or your car, there's plenty of parking at Ischgl, we often stayed in Kappl and skied in Ischgl in Feb.
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@Motherofthree,

You can say that again! Very Happy
ski holidays
Motherofthree wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Kitzbuhel and Mayrhofen both look lovely, but I'm just worried about their low altitude for a December holiday.

The skiing in Mayrhofen is pretty high. In Austria it's normal for the resort height to be pretty low. It's the height of the skiing that matters.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
T Bar wrote:
@Motherofthree,

No but Ischgl is a very short trip up the valley but you would need the ski bus or your car, there's plenty of parking at Ischgl, we often stayed in Kappl and skied in Ischgl in Feb.

Thanks, that's useful to know. Kappl sounds great then. How often does the ski bus run and is the parking in Ischgl free?
snow report
I can't remember how often the ski bus runs, we used the car.
Parking is free unless you use the underground car park which has a fairly modest charge.
snow report
Obertauern has a very good search function on its website for available accommodation. We have stayed in the Sonnhof hotel which was absolutely amazing, and in an apartment house called Kirchgasser which was lovely and fantastic value. You could give them a call.
snow conditions
Motherofthree wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:

Thanks, Zauchensee looks good and snow sure, but Flachau and Wagrain seem too low in December. We are looking to travel 24th-31st Dec and would only consider Zauchensee out of these three ski resorts. Do you have any accommodation to offer there for this time?

I'm afraid I don't have anything starting 24 Dec 22. The 24th is the Austrian "Christmas Day" so everything will be closed when you arrive. I'd recommend trying to come a day earlier. Flachau/Wagrain are linked to Zauchensee so where you stay in Salzburg Snowspace should probably be driven by other factors. Oh and I'd skip Obertauren at that time of year, it tends to be good snow but Zero visibility. Now not every December is the same, but the photo was taken on 6 Dec 21 from Reitdorf looking across at Flachau/Wagrain. Doesn't look "too low" to me.
latest report
@Motherofthree, Austrian "resorts" are generally much lower than French ones. Typically that is because they are villages in the valleys at the base of the skiing rather than purpose built places above the tree line (there are some exceptions like Obertauern and Obergurgl). Also Austria has a lower tree line and tends to be colder in winter than France. That does not mean that they are less reliable for snow but some years (this year being an example) the eastern alps has earlier and / or more snow than the western alps. There is an element of chance in all this. If snow reliability is your key criteria then Ischgl is one of the most reliable places in the entire alps (I have been skiing there when it has been the only non glacial area open). Flachau (and the adjacent areas) does have a good snow record but if it is a dry & mild December (not unknown) then pretty much everywhere will be skiing on white strips amongst green fields. If you choose to go skiing at Christmas there is always a chance of thin conditions wherever you go.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 6-03-22 16:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

If you choose to go skiing at Christmas there is always a chance of thin conditions wherever you go.

True - and the best way to optimise the chances of good snow plus "ski in/out" is to go high. Which often means going bleak, cold and purpose-built. Choosing an area with a good choice of runs below, and above, the tree line, and in pretty "village style" surroundings probably means having to travel some way to the snow, rather than ski in/out. I think being in the mountains for Christmas beats being in the UK where it is almost always dreich and bleak and cold, and where for most people the priorities are to spend too much, eat and drink too much and watch telly for hours at end. But you do need to be clear about your priorities and the compromises you're prepared to make.

The timings for Christmas and New Year, where the usual "Sat/Sat" or "Sun/Sun" arrangements don't always apply, are an added complication. In France, where I have spent many a Christmas (some with good snow, some without.......) both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are normal days on the slopes, with lifts open, ski lessons etc. But on Christmas Eve restaurants will be full (and anyone who's not booked will be out of luck) and shops closing earlier than normal. The boulangeries are selling their most festive fare (including ice cream cakes) and the atmosphere is lovely. Even if, as sometimes is the case, the weather is gloomy and it's raining (plenty of French ski resorts are "villages in the valley" too).
snow report
The further East you go the lower the snow.line becomes.

Don't fret too much about altitude in Austria. In a worst case scenario, just about every Austrian resort has gondola uplift and download at the middle station.
snow report
frank20 wrote:
Hi - we are a group of pals now 45-55 yr old (how did that happen?) who have skiid tarantaise valley resorts in France most of the last 10-15 years. Looking for something different next year - end of feb or start of march would be ideal. Thinking of Austria as have never skiid there but have heard great reports for both on slope and apres ski!

Have heard ischgl is great fun with great skiing but happy to try anywhere.

Looking for 3 or 4 star hotel.

Will be flying from Aberdeen or Edinburgh but not sure where to fly into.

Anyone any recommendations?
Thanks if so!

St Anton - Innsbruck Airport an hour away, Zurich Airport 2.5 hours away.
Kitzbuhel - Innsbruck or Salzburg Airports both 1.25 hours away.

Towns with history especially Kitz, car restricted centres, plenty of boozing options immediately after skiing and late, loads of skiing.
ski holidays
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
Obertauern has a very good search function on its website for available accommodation. We have stayed in the Sonnhof hotel which was absolutely amazing, and in an apartment house called Kirchgasser which was lovely and fantastic value. You could give them a call.

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy