Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Public transport to Ischgl with luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Flying to Innsbruck on Saturday for week in Ischgl. Car hire prices still looking a bit high, so thinking of the public transport option which looks fairly cheap. Has anyone done this ie. bus to Innsbruck train station, train to Landeck and then Postbus to Ischgl? I will have skis and large suitcase plus hand luggage backpack. Do bus drivers allow you on with this much luggage? Any other tips/advice?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done a similar route, but usually go Wednesday to Sunday and the buses were pretty quiet. No issues with luggage, but maybe could be if the bus is busy...
In fact I'll be doing this route this very Sunday (in reverse).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes yes and yes. Kind of goes without saying in a country in which skiing is their national sport that their travel infrastructure is set up accordingly. Why anyone (especially if travelling solo) would not prioritise dirt cheap Austrian public transport for resort access does not compute. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oh and just in case: I booked my Wednesday morning transfer with these guys: www.ski-shuttle-ischgl.com 140euros for two of us one way. If all goes to plan, we'll be on the slopes at lunch time.
Apparently they do a group pickup on Saturdays which works out pretty cheap per person. Check their website.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for confirming this is viable. There will be 2 of us which should avoid need for leaving suitcase unattended while dealing with skis etc. Any tips for best way to buy tickets? There is an Austrian trains app that appears to let you purchase the whole journey in one go for 2 people. Is this the best way to buy and show tickets?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
truffaut wrote:
There is an Austrian trains app that appears to let you purchase the whole journey in one go for 2 people. Is this the best way to buy and show tickets?

Yes again. Not sure if it's possible to buy a through ticket on the bus from INN so pre purchase would save a nice dollop of time, money and possibly not being able to speak German to the driver related stress.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The trainline app can do the train tickets.

Google maps is invaluable for navigating by public transport in foreign countries IMO, it'll tell you which platform/bus stop etc.

I generally find public transport to be more pleasant than shared transfers. Less waiting around for other people.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many thanks for confirming. Yes a prepaid ticket avoids more displays of British lack of foreign language ability…

Yes Google maps has transformed usability of public transport. I now catch buses and mainline trains across London when on day trips there, instead of just looking at the tube map and relying on walking when south of the river.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have done this route. The bus goes from the station forecourt in Landeck. Should be no issue to put skis and luggage on the bus (you will probably not be the only one). Make sure the driver knows when you are getting off that you need to get your kit out, it is your responsibility to open and close the door on the storage compartment. You can book all the way from Innsbruck airport to Ischgl using www.oebb.com, there is an app too (English option).

Although the trip is easy the bus is a bit slow, the Paznauntal is a long valley and Ischgl is most of the way down, lots of stops in the various villages. Also be aware that the bus is used by skiers going back to Galtür & Kappl from Ischgl so it can get busy morning & evening.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the tip about warning the driver not to drive off before we have retrieved our skis - better learn the German for that!

I think I remember that bus from a holiday in Wirl many years ago. Used to get the bus to Kappl just to be able to warm up 2 small children when we hit a freak few days of -25 weather system from Siberia.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+another for using the train/bus. Note that there are several bus tops in Ischgl so check out which is best for your accommodation.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
truffaut wrote:
Thanks for the tip about warning the driver not to drive off before we have retrieved our skis - better learn the German for that!

I think I remember that bus from a holiday in Wirl many years ago. Used to get the bus to Kappl just to be able to warm up 2 small children when we hit a freak few days of -25 weather system from Siberia.

Or use the translate app if you've got an iphone? Truly babel fish level of technology IMO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One of the guys in our group has done this basic route a few times and from memory you were meant to be able to buy a through ticket at Innsbruck airport. He never did that though, preferring to jump in a taxi from the airport to the train station, taking one luggage faff out of the equasion. From there he said it was always plain sailing, with the train meeting up with the bus, and him normally getting in to Ischgl for a late lunch.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for another vote of confidence in my plan. We may indulge in a taxi to get up the hill to our hotel in Ischgl, depending on how far away it is from where we get off the bus.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@truffaut, I think you will find the driver will speak enough English to understand about your baggage.
snow report
Sorry to hijack, hoping someone can give a quick answer. Is the 8pm rule for boots applied in Iscghl? Cheers (8pm is about bedtime for me on a ski holiday)
latest report
Disaster wrote:
Sorry to hijack, hoping someone can give a quick answer. Is the 8pm rule for boots applied in Iscghl? Cheers (8pm is about bedtime for me on a ski holiday)

Yep - so either pop home for a quick shower/change off the slopes before you head to apres ski, or just home for a shower/change when the party ends at 7pm before dinner. You've really go to be trying to get caught by the 8pm ban in Ischgl to actually get caught by it.
snow conditions
I’m guessing there’s no night skiing then!
latest report
Thanks @Mjit. 3rd option head home shower and go to bed. haha
snow report
No night skiing in Ischgl. I've taken public transport from Innsbruck with luggage and skis and its a breeze
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy