Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glenshee rip off

Poster: A snowHead
Coming soon…….watch this space…….It’s juicy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JohnU, I am so looking forward to it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ah....the Glenshee complainant back again...he who moves for no man...this reminds me of....

http://youtube.com/v/ZmInkxbvlCs
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well guys I’m feeling negativity from you vultures already.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has the original post been deleted or am I missing an in joke?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JohnU, all I said was I was looking forward to it.

You keep telling us you have something “juicy”. Maybe you should just come out with it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
4q wrote:
Has the original post been deleted or am I missing an in joke?

Original thread here Madeye-Smiley

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=159481

Awaiting the next thrilling installment Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure there will be another instalment. As usual @JohnU, has promised something “juicy” but does not seem to have the goods.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
~Yawn~ zzzzzzzz
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mods, I'm all for free speech etc but having this title thread on the list might just do a bit of damage to Ski Glenshee. Therefore since it is the second thread on the issue John U had, with no further basis for his complaint, I think it should be removed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@scottishandy, Well done for keeping at the top Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the contrary, I think a number of people will look at this thread so far and think.... not even clear what the 'rip-off' is .... no evidence to back up the claim .... seems like just one person is a bit disgruntled for some reason...Glenshee are probably doing a good job. As yet, it certainly isn't bad publicity, so as the saying goes ....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am all for leaving it Glenshee has nothing to fear from anything posted here by the OP.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnU, Also how soon is soon? You said you had something juicy. What is it?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi,

I refer to this online booking I made last night, 7th. March 2022.

Early this morning I travelled from Pitlochry to Glenshee hoping for a decent day of skiing, which is why I booked as you recommend on your website to avoid being excluded if numbers were too high.

However when I arrived I found the weather to be exceptionally windy - I could at times only stand or walk with some difficulty due to the force of the freezing cold wind. My car was blasted by the gravel in the car park whipped up by the wind, and I feared that the paintwork would suffer damage.

I am a very experienced skier and hillwalker, living locally in Pitlochry for 38 years and had no doubt about judging that skiing was not something that could be sensibly or safely done in these conditions.

I asked at the ticket office for a refund of the online booking charge of £21; the woman I spoke to refused. When I returned to ask again she had arranged for her husband to discourage me, wrongly accusing me of being rude - I was having to raise my voice to be heard through the glass window above the wind noise - I am also hard of hearing (age 70 with hearing aids) and never certain of what volume I am using. I was sent to the managing director in his office to complain to him but he seemed disinterested in what I had to say - for some reason he was wearing a head torch.

I have skied on and off at Glenshee since I was in my teens; I am also on my third round of the Munros so I know a thing or two about bad weather; I was very surprised to see young children from Morrisons Academy in Crieff being herded onto the slopes in such conditions. I also understand that Cairngorms skiing was closed due to the weather.

Whilst I understand that it is up to you whether you remain open or not I suspect you kept a few lifts going so you could avoid having to refund payments; you should , in such circumstances, not be refusing refunds of online bookings made in good faith the night before, especially if you wish to retain the good will of your long term local customers. I have raised this whole issue of refunds of online payments on the ski forum Snowheads. After all you are the ones who insist people pay in advance online with your expensive new system -£40000 worth according to one of your ski rescue staff who thought it was useless.

I expect a refund without delay. Otherwise, I will be very happy to publish this whole letter on Snowheads.
snow conditions
And Snowheads seem to think Glenshee did a good job dealing with a twerp. They must be quaking in their headtorches at the thread.....

Rule 5
snow report
I expect to only read what I want to read, when I want to read it, in the style I want to read it!

I demand a refund from Snowheads for having to read the cr4p in this thread!

Otherwise, I will be very happy to publish this whole post on the Ski Clib of GREAT BRITAIN interweb forum and Mumsnet!
snow conditions
JohnU wrote:

I expect a refund without delay. Otherwise, I will be very happy to publish this whole letter on Snowheads.

Was that it ? Laughing
What an anti-climax....

p.s £21 for a days skiing seems reasonable ?
ski holidays
Dave of marmottes….I particularly remember how offensive you usually were a few years ago when i had an interest in blades.You are still at it… with 34000 posts…do you think you are normal?
snow report
...I often wear a head torch when doing fiddly things. I often forget to take it off.

...'disinterested' - I think 'uninterested' is what is meant.

I think Zikomo made it very clear that the kids were not 'herded' - which implies reluctance on their part - the report back from his own son was that the weather was a bit inclement but they had a very good day. The facts seem to be being ignored here.

...let me tell the following story:

Oliver and I travelled to CH for a long weekend one June...hoping the weather would be kind and we could do some glacier skiing at Zermatt. At 6am we schlepped across to Tasch and went up in the train. It was looking grey, but OK. The meteo seemed good. Walking to the station through wispy mist and that weird Alpine drizzle which hangs in the air we could begin to hear the lift running. All good. The window of the caisse opened and a lovely woman proceeded to laugh mightily at my terrible French. '...Speak English or you will kill me...'. And we established that the wind at the top was bad. And she ummed and ahhhed and said '...we might be opening.....or we might not...'. We smiled and laughed and explained we had come from UK and she smiled and commiserated with us. We laughed and said 'Oh well, the weather is the weather, it comes and goes...we'll wait on the steps...'. 'Oh don't do that' she said '...it's miserable...go down to the hire shop on the right, tell him I sent you, he's got a coffee machine in the back...and I'll come and get you if we start running...'. So we went. After 30 mins I thought I'd just pop back and see how things were going. I followed a group of three American snowboarders up to the caisse. Immediately they started shouting at her in English - the kind of 'you're a foreigner' English and we'll treat you like an idiot English - '....WHEN ARE YOU OPENING WE'VE COME A LONG WAY AND WE DON'T EXPECT THE LIFTS TO BE SHUT WHEN THERE'S JUST THIS SMALL RAIN AND WHAT'S WITH THIS LIFT CLOSURE....' etc etc. Mrs Nice Lift looked impassively at them during this rant and then said in perfect English '....I am sorry, but I don't speak English...'. The deep humour of this was lost on them, and they muttered and fulminated and then sloped off into the mist. She then saw me, smiled and said '...time to get your friend, we'll be opening in 10 minutes...'. And they did. And we had a ball.

Smile, John U, and make the world a better place.
ski holidays
Quote:

Smile, John U, and make the world a better place.

I very much doubt that, even at the subatomic level.
snow conditions
Quote:

with 34000 posts…do you think you are normal?

Skiing for 50+ years in Glenshee and only 30 posts on here … definite weirdo!! snowHead
latest report
I have been out for dinner with friends and not that sober so a quick response.

A mixed group of 10-12 year old kids from Morrison’s Academy including complete beginners skied the whole day and enjoyed themselves, led by their qualified Mountain Leader and 2 BASI instructors.

I don’t think Glenshee has anything to worry about.

I will give a fuller response in the morning when sober. But suffice to say maligning the school, Glenshee and the qualified staff who led them says more about the OP than anything else.
snow conditions
Thats OK zikomo, do not apologise for being drunk. If I were you I would be into alcohol too.

Personally, I do not consume alcohol. It is poisonous, a toxic alkyloid. That’s why you get dizzy and have other associated physical and mental health issues.
ski holidays
@JohnU, Talking of mental health issues....
ski holidays
Do tell us about yours……
snow report
Quote:

Personally, I do not consume alcohol.

Good time to start, perhaps?
snow report
@JohnU, I let my 11 year old who was actually there on the day read your missive. His exact words:

“OK boomer. That’s not what it was like. Weird”
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

..”OK boomer. That’s not what it was like. Weird”..

S/He’s too old to be a Boomer. He may be the previous generation… Doomers?

ski holidays
JohnU wrote:
alcohol…is …..a toxic alkyloid

Is it?
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
JohnU wrote:
alcohol…is …..a toxic alkyloid

Is it?

F*ck organic chemistry!
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
They must be quaking in their headtorches at the thread.

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@JohnU, have you a friend called Peter?
latest report
I swear this has to be a parody thread and I can’t see the original!
snow report
valais2, your wonderful story about about Mrs Nice Lift in Zermat made us laugh and lifted our day. Thank you.
latest report
@valais2, brilliant! and yes, the correct sentiment Happy
snow conditions
I learned to ski at Glenshee, I still think of it with very fond memories. As the old adage goes "there's no such thing as bad weather in Scotland, just poor clothing".
I'm going to make an extra special effort for a long weekend back up there next season, this thread has made me quite nostalgic Very Happy
snow report
@JohnU, So you have made good your threat and published the "juicy" email you sent to Glenshee. I think some fact checking is in order:

1. You are a very experienced skier and hillwalker. FALSE.
a. No experienced hillwalker would ever set out for a day in the mountains without checking the mountain weather forecast. Ever. But you did, ergo you are not one.
b. You are clearly neither an experienced or capable skier. 10 year old beginners handled the conditions just fine, so any experienced skier would also have been able to.
c. You are unable to judge conditions on the ground (clearly safe and suitable for skiing as a bunch of wee kids demonstrated), which any experienced hillwalker (particularly in Scotland) would be able to do.
d. Any experienced skier would know that ski areas do not refund lift passes if lifts are open

2. Skiing could not be sensibly or safely done in the conditions. FALSE
a. The qualified and experienced staff at Glenshee assessed the conditions (weather and slopes), and were both able to, and happy to, open the lifts and slopes.
b. The qualified Mountain Leader and 2 BASI instructors leading the group of 10-12 year olds from Morrison's Academy assessed the conditions, completed a full risk-assessment, and judged the conditions safe and suitable
c. A group of 10-12 year olds including complete beginners skied all day, enjoyed themselves, and had no problem handling the conditions.

3. [b]You made a reasonable request for a refund and one should have been forthcoming. FALSE.

a. It was patently unreasonable as lifts were open, and conditions safe as judged by experienced professionals whose full time job is to safely lead young people in the Scottish outdoors.
b. You were not reasonable, being rude and shouting at 2 members of staff when your demand for a refund was refused. You then wasted the time of the MD, who quite rightly backed his staff and also refused your demands.
You are clearly a rather sad and frustrated little man with an inflated sense of entitlement, who has a toddler tantrum whenever you do not get your own way.

4. You are on your third round of Munros so know a thing or two about bad weather. FALSE
a. I simply do not believe you. You have perhaps walked up a few of the Monros in good weather, and fantasised about climbing the tougher ones. And have probably been selling this fantasy to others for many years. But your failure to check a reliable forecast before a day out in the mountains in winter, inability to judge conditions on the ground, and unrealistic expectations of conditions on the day are incompatible with this claim.
b. In my experience, those who have actually completed all Monros do not brag about it. And would never make reference to the deaths of fellow mountaineers as a way of "proving" how experienced and capable they are. It is so far removed from the attitude of genuine mountaineers that it would never even occur to any of them. Anyone who did such a thing would very quickly be completely ostracised from the community, and only a complete fraud would so mis-understand mountaineering as to attempt to do so.

5. Young children from Morrison's Academy were "herded" onto the slopes in unsuitable conditions. FALSE
a. I repeat that a full-time, experienced and qualified Mountain Leader whose sole role is to safely lead young people in the Scottish outdoors judged conditions safe and suitable on the day
b. The children (and their parents) that I spoke to were happy with the day's skiing. Including some 10 year old complete beginners.
c. The first-hand account from a more experienced skier and outdoorsman (my 11 year old son) is diametrically opposed to yours. He said there was some wind the the top, conditions were not great in the morning but improved, and the snow was not the best but not the worst he had seen at Glenshee. He laughed at your suggestion that they were "cowering" behind the bus and were "herded" onto the slopes, no such things happened. The children were all happy to go skiing, managed the conditions with no problems and enjoyed their day out. That said, as a group they are clearly more robust than you, more used to being outdoors in the Scottish mountains, and have much more realistic expectations of a day out at Glensee.

6. Cairngorms skiing was closed due to the weather. TRUE
a. But that is some distance away with a different aspect and different lift system
b. Any experienced outdoorsman in Scotland would know that weather conditions are often wildly different glen to glen, let alone over the distance involved in this case. This statement is nothing more than proof of your lack of experience and knowledge of the Scottish mountains.

7. Glenshee should refund you because you are a valuable long term customer and you will trash their reputation on Snowheads if they do not. FALSE.
a. You clearly have little experience of skiing at Glenshee, as anyone who did would not have been surprised or indeed disappointed with the conditions. So you are by default not a valuable customer.
b. You were rude and shouted at 2 members of staff. I am sure that Glenshee would rather not have your custom in the future as a result.
c. Publishing here has done nothing more than trash your own credibility. You have inspired me to write to Glenshee to thank them for getting and keeping the area open so that the children were able to enjoy a long-anticipated 2 days of instruction. I will be sure to reassure them that not a single person on Snowheads believes you, or that you have a leg to stand on, and you have become a complete laughing stock here. If anything the reputation of Glenshee has been improved by this whole saga, they seem to have dealt with a rude and entitled idiot with great patience including taking you into the MD's office and wasting his time.

Finally I would counsel you to avoid any further criticism of Morrison's Academy or its pupils. Their behaviour on the day in question demonstrates that they are well-adjusted, well-behaved and comfortable in the Scottish outdoors. None of them were shouting at staff, demanding a refund, or having a tantrum because the weather was a bit inclement. Instead they had a positive attitude, were grateful for the opportunity to ski at Glenshee, and enjoyed their day. You would do well to learn from their example. And as a matter of fact my four children attend that school, I am naturally extremely protective of them, and this part of Scotland really is a village.

You are, however, entitled to your opinion of Glenshee but the responses here make it clear you are in a minority of one and your credibility is so trashed that nothing you could say would have any detrimental impact on the ski area or its management. I suspect they hope to be well rid of you.
latest report
zikomo, I think you still have your hangover.
ski holidays
@valais2, Lovely story, and so typical of the polite Swiss (and their reaction to rudeness!).

I had a few similar instances in Italy this year. Especially as it has been some years since I was last there, and so some laughing and teasing at my Italian! I felt the need to apologise, in Italian, for the rank rudeness of my compatriots on quite a few occasions - mostly exactly as you describe the sort of slow shouting in English and unnecessary rudeness when there is the slightest risk that things might not be exactly as they would like. For example when a mountain restaurant, at 10AM, was not able to make some scrambled eggs (not on the menu and kitchen not open) which was met with "well why are you open for breakfast, that is stupid" etc. After my apology, a bit of joshing about my Italian (so can't have been that bad!), a free espresso ensued.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy