Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

You're never to old, truly inspiring, that's if the body holds out.

Poster: A snowHead
Every now and again whilst out ski-touring we bump into people and are often amazed at their ages.

It's a sort of etiquette to stop and pass the time of day if the location allows.

Today we were skiing down towards the Galibier road at circa 2,360 and there was this group of around eight, and obviously, with three dogs they attract a fair amount of attention too.

So the usual conversation of "where have you been" / "where are you going to" ensued and they did not know the sector, so we explained a couple of routes and told them that it was quite steep involving some technical kickturns and that the snow whilst Spring was not super smooth, but still pretty good.

One guy explained that they did not want steep and hard work, as they were quite old, I asked him his age and he replied 86 and that most of the group were of a similar age.

Whilst most of the group went off searching out a nice gradient and spring snow two ladies stayed with us chatting and talking to the dogs and it turned out that they were both 85 and later on in the conversation explained how the group were caught in an avalanche (spring snow) about 15 years ago, and that did not put them off!

So here's me with my two new girlfriends Very Happy

And they carried on chatting whilst the rest of their group carried on their way.

So there's hope for us and maybe another 20+ years of touring to be had if the body plays ball that is!

And all of them were on quite modern kit, which is often not the case.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having started at 58 and now 65, that's an inspiring story.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Charliegolf, youngster snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My genes and lifestyle are better than many but not sure I’ll even be alive at 85.
Credit to them; and it’s probably the lifestyle that has helped them get there.

Inspiring.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An inspiring story, thanks for sharing. I'm 65, been skiing since 10. Got 4 trips in this season and two to go. I'm an ex racing cyclist and still cycle regularly up to 120 miles in the SpringAutumn months and this keeps my stamina in a good place. A lot of it is in maintaining a positive can do attitude. But stories like this make great reading, I'll take another twenty years if I can, fingers and toes crossed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This is the best and incredible and wonderful ! Beautiful pictures Smile thank you for sharing.

There is a French 76 year old who skis slalom and giant slalom sometimes with us to train for his competition season, and is just all round inspiring. He is a world medalist in his age group Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

it’s probably the lifestyle that has helped them get there

Yes, lifestyle is important but genetics probably even more so. Being able to continue to do stuff into old age generally requires a combination of luck (including having chosen the right parents), lifestyle choices and mental toughness.

And that last quality is the one you also need to come to terms in a positive way with realising that the first two have let you down.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome. Plus, as long as the genetics are reasonable, keeping on going and training also go a long way.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hope I can still ski off-piste at 86. It's great that most French resorts give free lift passes to 75+.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
By the time you get to 86, @Jehu, the qualifying age for a free lift pass will probably be 88. It's been going up......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember some years ago when me my mate were waiting for an instructor who was taking us off for a morning off piste in Gressoney. I think we were at ghe instructors office in Steffal.... we are not off piste guys by any stretch and this was our first venture.... Punta Indren..

Anyway, while we were waiting and thinking we were the dogs, we got chatting to an old dear, on her own and obvs waiting for something.... we started chatting to her .... I'd say she was mid 70s..... "oh I don't ski on piste..... too crowded..... I'm waiting to be picked up..... going heli-skiing!

Talk about gobsmacked...... we'll if she can do it, we can. Still not done it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Free lift pass at 70 in Andorra. Where apparently they have great life expectancy.
Attitude is key, but I still like the advice “To live to a ripe old age, choose your parents wisely.”
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brilliant. Good on em
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Orange200 wrote:
Free lift pass at 70 in Andorra. Where apparently they have great life expectancy.
Attitude is key, but I still like the advice “To live to a ripe old age, choose your parents wisely.”

I am afraid that the Andorran authorities have been reading this page and have JUST ..this season raised the free lift pass from 70 to 75
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fantastic

Not touring, but my oldest student to date

http://youtube.com/v/Pp4iIbseGbQ
snow conditions
snowHead
snow report
We met a couple of older gents when we were skiing in Sun peaks a few years ago . They were keeping up with us run for run and we kept meeting up at chair lifts and chatting. One gent said he was sorry but he was off now "not skiing any more today not good on my knees I am 87 ... so I snowboard in the afternoons".... We saw them 4 days that week and 3 days the next week....
There was an antiques club to stay in you had to be over 60 and ski for every year since you were born.
We met 2 gents one lunch time and in the conversation one of their club members told us was going to lose his membership he would be 2 days short he needed 93 to stay in.
He had foolishly been talked into a couple of weeks golfing in the USA in the ski season. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy